WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLee Precision
Titan ReloadingLoad DataSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What is a Remington 798?

Quote Originally Posted by snowwolfe View Post
    What does any of this have to do with the Op's question, What is a Remington 798?
    Had a 375H&H and 458 798's. Purchased them both for my son but he didnt care for the stock fit. They are very nice rifles and worth every penny of the price they were selling for at the time, and that was $499 each from CDNN.
    Should be pretty clear I don't have much use for Remington.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GabbyM View Post
    Should be pretty clear I don't have much use for Remington.
    Thats beside the point. Unless you had something to add about the 798 it had zero to do with the Ops question.
    Why is it so difficult for people to stay on topic?

Quote Originally Posted by snowwolfe View Post
    Thats beside the point. Unless you had something to add about the 798 it had zero to do with the Ops question.
    Why is it so difficult for people to stay on topic?
    I don't see it that way at all. In fact you are the one whom is off topic. Where it's made and how it is made has everything to do with what it is. Be assured Duke already knew it was a Mauser action. Unless I’ve totally misread his post he wanted to know what he would be getting. I’m generally pretty good with English language comprehension. Looking back in this thread snowwolfe I don’t see where you contributed anything until you chimed in to whine about me stepping on a few toes. If you really think business and manufacturing policies have nothing to do with “What is a Remington 798?”. Then you live in a different world than I do. Which is probably the case.

BTW a cracker is one who cracks the whip. In case you were confusing that with saltines.

Boolit Master
    The op's question was:
    "What is a Remington 798?"
    Where did you answer any part of his question about what a 798 was?

And if you reread what I posted, I gave my opinion of both a 375 and the 458.

So, if I am off topic for giving my opinion of the 798, after being asked what it is, then I stand corrected. And your dislike of Remington has nothing to do with the 798 as they did not produce it, they imported it.
    I'm done, cant fix it

Remington 798

Did they ever come with iron sights? I've been googling that little info that's out there but only saw stock photos of rifles w/o any sights but people's actual photos on which some had iron sights. So am I left wondering whether they had to cut dovetails and put on iron sights themselves.

They did on the dangerous game rifles, I'm not sure of others, they're usually bare of irons. The same rifle with a different stock was the Interarms MkX rifle, most of those did come with iron sights.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Zastava is now selling them in the USA. Looks like they have sights and are up to higher standards than the Remington imports were. I have a Century imported M85 in .223 and love it.

https://zastavaarmsusa.com/products/bolt-action/
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master

Didn’t Herters market Interarms rifles back in the 60’s?

Quote Originally Posted by Bmi48219 View Post
    Didn’t Herters market Interarms rifles back in the 60’s?
    The Herters J9 was a Yugoslavian made( Zastava) Mauser 98 Commercial rifle. The Herters U9 was a British made BSA bolt rifle.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Remington also imported the model 504 which was a bolt action .22 lr built by Zastava and it had iron sights. The 798's were brought in by Remington along with Bakail combination and over /under shotguns. I think they were trying to expand the menu without any effort on their part and it turned out most of the stuff wasn't very popular. I do remember the 798's were supposed to put the customer into a Remington bolt gun without the price tag of a bdl but very few folks went form them so Remington quit the line.

Boolit Master
    Remington produced the 504 in the USA. The model 5 was produced by Zavasta..............
    "Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." - Ernest Hemingway

The Remington 798 is a Zastava rifle.
    They are very reliable rifles, of robust construction. The action type is that of a Mauser 98.
    "When the homeland is in danger, everything is allowed, except not to defend it."

Gral. Don José de San Martin.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12