RepackboxWidenersInline FabricationLee Precision
Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2 Load Data

Thread: Problems 452484 & RCBS 45-225-RN

Boolit Buddy

Problems 452484 & RCBS 45-225-RN

My Lyman 452484 mould is a gas check mould which throws a bullet weighing about 225 grains. It is basically a 452374 mould with a gas check. I'm using bullets from it in a 45 ACP and do not need gas checks with my loads. I'm lubing the bullet in a Lyman 45 Lubrisizer and removing the excess lube from the gas check area by hand. I do not care for tumble lube. Is there an efficent method of lubing the bullet and not getting lube in the gas check space?

My RCBS 45-225-RN mould is I think basically a copy of Lymans 452374. The diameter of the bullet from this mould just forward of the lube groove is about .440 even after the nose of the mould cavity has been beagled to increase the diameter there as much as possible. The diameter of the body or the area below the lube groove is the proper size at about .454 as cast. When I size and lube the bullet lubricant extrudes past the groove and tends to make a mess.

Both of the above moulds are double cavity. Bullets from both shoot just fine. It's just the added time/problems of lubing or rather removing excess lube.

The mould I actually need is Lymans 452374.

Any suggestions?

Have Fun,

JCherry

Boolit Grand Master
    The BEST thing to ever happen to my 45 ACP reloading effort was the arrival of a #452374 mold on scene here. One of my first molds was a #452484, and it needs the gas check to be the least bit cooperative. It shoots well, but the cost of checks these days makes THAT option too pricey for my taste, same story for #454490.

The #452374 is an unalloyed delight (bad pun) to use. Boolits fall free like a Mazatlan Cliff Divers Convention is under way, and reject rate is about 5% at worst.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Buddy

Deputy Al,

I never figured to use gas checks. Like you said the cost of gas checks for this use is pricey and I must say I have never seen that gas checks are needed in any normal 45 ACP load.

Accuracy with bullets from my 452484 mould without gas checks seems to be just fine.

I wonder what the mould was originally intended for?

Have Fun,

JCherry

Banned

I fool with that gas check mold and have never gotten as good of accuracy without a check on it. In my experience adding the check cuts groups by about a 1/3. Without a check its going to be pretty hard in a lyman sizer to avoid the lube on the base problem. Most of my 1911s prefer 452 bullets and thats part of your trouble. When only sizing to 454 your arent getting a very tight fit between the bullet and the sizing die and lube will no doubt blead through. Try sizing to 452 and that will help some. Or buy a star sizer and you wont have the lube on the base problem with any of your bullets.

Why not ream out the GC shank and solve all the problems at once.

Boolit Grand Master
    I think the #452484 was intended for the 45 Win Mag/Wildey auto pistol. I found the mold during the time those items were extant (1981 or so). To this day, I have not attempted to run a gas check slug of any description without its copper cup base. The grind-out of the gas check shank would be a good idea, but I'm not one to modify molds when current-production designs of a similar type are available. Who knows, someone might want the critter "as is" someday, and a good trade could result.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Buddy

Lloyd,

I was not too clear in my message. I am talking about two different moulds with problems. As cast diameter of the RCBS mould is .454. I failed to mention that I am sizing both to .452.

BABore,

I do not have a lathe available for such reaming. Is there a hand reaming method that would work?

Deputy Al,

Your suggestion on a trade might be the best all around. 451 Win Mag makes sense.

Thanks,

Have Fun,

JCherry

Banned

first your kind of missing the boat by not buying a box of checks and trying them on it. If your not shooting 1000 round a week checking a bullet isnt that bad of deal. Like i said i shoot that bullet sometimes and its probably the most accurate round nosed 45 bullet out there. You will probably never cure the problem without checking it using a lyman sizer. the lube that gets on your nose is another deal. Its a fine line between getting your sizer ajusted just right running a lube with the right consistancy and using to much or to little heat and the right lube pressure. Round nose bullet for the most part dont have a long bearing surface and are tougher to get set up with. Even a star can give you fits with them. Like was said the best bet is either to use checks or pawn the mold.