RepackboxLee PrecisionWidenersSnyders Jerky
Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLoad Data
RotoMetals2 Inline Fabrication

Thread: Lube-a-sizer issue: lube on boolit base

Boolit Bub

Lube-a-sizer issue: lube on boolit base

Bought this LAS2 used, a few years ago from a forum member. I'm sizing 265 Keith boolits from a Ballisticast mould, using a new RCBS .452" sizing die set, & LBT soft blue lube.

The problem is, that lube builds up on top of the bullet ejector - & the base of the boolit, pretty quick. I've tried adjusting the ejector screw down, to the point that the crimp groove gets lubed - & then back up. Doesn't seem to make much difference.

Tried less pressure to the point that the lube groove barely get a good fill, but still get the base buildup to some extent.

Not using a heater, & don't think I need one. Ambient temp is 75 - 85 degrees.

No other problems - the .454" boolits size down perfectly for the throats on my SW 625-6 / .45 Colt. Shoot good too.

The blue wipes off, but issue is mildly irritating. I've read the RCBS manual, but this particular issue is not addressed directly. If this is normal, I'm sure I can live w/ it - but if there is a fix that this rookie could figure out w/ your help, it would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance, & happy Thanksgiving!

Gary
    "Sometimes you make eight - sometimes you hit dirt!"

Regards - GCF

Boolit Master
    First make sure your boolit bases are flat. If your getting any kind of bump or protruding deformity on the boolit base that will not allow the boolit base to sit squarely on the ejector pin it will inject lube under the boolit.
    Now if your boolit bases are flat try turning the ejector pin over. Most ejector pins are flat on one end and concave on the other. The concave end often works best for plain base especially if the bases have that bump or hump at the sprue cut that I described, and the flat end works best for gas checks.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullshop View Post
    First make sure your boolit bases are flat. If your getting any kind of bump or protruding deformity on the boolit base that will not allow the boolit base to sit squarely on the ejector pin it will inject lube under the boolit.
    Now if your boolit bases are flat try turning the ejector pin over. Most ejector pins are flat on one end and concave on the other. The concave end often works best for plain base especially if the bases have that bump or hump at the sprue cut that I described, and the flat end works best for gas checks.
    Wanted to 1st say, that I hope you & your family had a great Thanksgiving - and have a wonderful Christmas in the month to come. It can be tough at times I'm sure, but from my veiwpoint at least, you are a lucky man to live the lifestyle that you do.

Additionally, thank you for your helpfull response. The boolits bases in question were flat as a pancake. Also, I removed the ejector pin from the RCBS sizing die, & it does not have a concave end. One end was beveled, & the other perfectly flat. I had the flat end installed up originally, & put it back together in the same configuration.

While it was apart, I determined the precise depth that this boolit needed to be pushed into the die, to align the lube groove, w/ the 4 lube holes in the die. On re-assembly, I adjusted it accordingly.

Seems to take a bit less pressure to fill the groove this way, & although I still get a bit of lube on the base, it's not nearly as bad as it was previously. Pretty sure I can live w/ it - as is.

Thanks again - Gary

Regards - GCF

Boolit Master
    Tends to happen if you over pressurize the reservoir, more so when used in conjunction with a heater.

Winelover

Boolit Master
    Gary
    When I am doing large boolits with multiple grooves I found that rather than applying enough pressure to the lube to get the grooves to fill with one entrance into the die I use a bit less pressure and two passes into the die with a quarter turn of the boolit in between. That fills the grooves well without any build up under the boolit.
    I think the newer dies use the one flat side one beveled side on the ejector pis as you described. I have many older ones that have the one concave end. I have not purchased any dies other than custom in a long time. I keep my sizer dies in an MTM 12 gauge range box. It has two 50 hole trays and very few are empty. This box is perfect for organizing sizer dies.
    Thanks very much for the well wishes and I pray the same for you and yours.
    You said I am a lucky man but I more believe that I am a blessed man!

Moderator Emeritus

Gary,
    I had the same problem (lube buildup under the bullet base) with a home made Lube.
    My lube ended up with too much slicky's and wasn't accurate.
    when I reduced the the amount of slick additives.
    the lube was stiffer, and the problem of lube buildup under the bullet base went away.
    Jon
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

In Remembrance
    Jackson County, Choctaw Nation, Indian Territory
    Try a disc of thin styrofoam under the boolit.
    Those who fail to study history are doomed to repeat it.

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity”. Sigmund
    Freud

Perhaps let the pressure back off the lube before you bring the boolit back up.
    Visit my page at www.echoarms.com for casting, reloading, and firearms accessories as well as FFL services in Southern California.

Like my Facebook page: Echo Arms

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by thehouseproduct View Post
    Perhaps let the pressure back off the lube before you bring the boolit back up.
    Now that's a thought. Seems like it in time, it might put extra wear & tear on the equipment though.

I'll give it a try & see if it helps.

Thanks - Gary

Regards - GCF

May not be relevant to your press and dies but I found that if I was getting lube on the base of the boolit I would try every 4th or 5th boolit without touching the ratchet handle. Of course it depends whether I am size and lubing 7mm where I only need to move the end of the ratchet about an 1/8 in per boolit and the 40cal about a 1/4in but still every so often size one without moving the handle and the lube stays in the apointed place.

Von Gruff.
    Von Gruff.

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12