MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingWidenersLoad Data
Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingRepackboxLee Precision
Inline Fabrication RotoMetals2
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: postal match for 22cal boolits only

Boolit Master

Bullshop I just about bet that the bearing length of the CBE is to long for my Sako the max that it will handle is about .4" unless you would size down the front band which I don't have any way to do that yet. Can you measure the OAL of the boolit and the bearing length? Good looking boolit though I can see where it should be very accurate.

I like the looks of the Ranchdog bet it would be a great small game and light varmint thumper. Everyone of his designs have been great, very accurate, and hard hitters.

Boolit Master
    id be willing to play, i just dont have a mould for my only .22 centerfire. an ar57.

now if somebody would be willing to sell me 200 or so lubed 30-40gr .224 gc boolits id be in!

Boolit Master
    Rats!!! I must have nearly 10 22 cal molds but not a one will drop a boolit that light.

rhbrink
    You are right about the Ranch Dog mold. I got to whak a coyote with one through both shoulders and he just tipped over. It was shot from a hornet with 9.5gn h 4227.
    I wanted to try to poke one in a caribous ear but didn't get the chance. The 375 Whelen did the deed on the caribou with our custom 370gn hard cast soft nose.
    A solid hit through both shoulders literally blew both horns off. I picked up both horns a few feet away from the caribou. That is some real smackum!

Boolit Master
    so would a non telescopic red dot sight be in the iron sights class for 50yds?

Boolit Master

troy I don't have any idea what a ar57 is or what twist it has but there is not going to be many 30 to 40 grain cast boolits around if I was looking for a bullet I think that the Ranch Dog boolit would be one to look at. I would think that it would work in a wide variety of rifles and twist, just guessing.

Boolit Master
    ar57 is an ar15 variant chambered in 5.7x28/5.7fn.

best performance is from 40gr boolits.

Boolit Master
    If you go to my site at www.bullshop.gunloads.com you will find a very good selection of 22 cal designs but nothing in the weight range you specified.
    Just curious about the FN 5.7 do you know what twist it uses? You said best performance is with 40gn boolits did you mean bullets?
    If boolits what mold yields a 40gn boolit.
    There is currently a group buy going on from Swede Nelson for a 37gn boolit. I understand it will be available in GC, PB, and HP.

Boolit Master
    lol. i started that gb!

as far as i am aware there have been 3 people(who posted online) actually cast for the fn 5.7.

my ar57 has a 1-10" twist.

Moderator Emeritus

Well, I finally got around to casting some 22 bators.
    I should get some of them loaded into some brass
    I fired in the #3, so I can just neck size them.

a new problem... We have gotten about 32" of snow in the last ten days.
    Now there is no way to get to the one range I shoot at 5 miles away til
    the spring thaw. the other range I shoot at is 17 miles away.
    I know they plow that one out, so we'll see if I can find time to
    get there to shoot.
    jon
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    I was looking through a CDNN catalog today and saw some 5.7 ammo with a 26gn lead free bullet. I would almost bet that at 52gn the Ranch Dog boolit is a shorter length.
    I have to wonder why such a fast twist if it is using such light bullets? It may well be the style of bullets that they are a VLD type and therefore long for the weight.
    I took a special interest in the 5.7 cartridge when it first came out. The reason is that I was having trouble finding brass for my model 38 Cooper rifle in 22 CCM.
    Dan Cooper told me that they were converting the rifles to the FN 5.7 cartridge.
    Since then I discovered the Shroader bullet works in Sandiego Ca and have put up a good store of 22 CCM brass.
    I did not want to go to the 5.7 because of the short neck.
    Mr. Cooper didn't understand that I only shoot boolits in it and the issue involved with that.
    Last edited by Bullshop; 12-12-2010 at 03:51 PM.

Boolit Master
    the issue with heavier bullets(some shoot 50gr) is pressure spikes.

but i just ordered a .223 barrel, and upper. so i may have a gun soon!

what would be a good .223 mould for 1-9" twist.

Boolit Master
    Swede Nelson did a design he called the RCBS clone. It is a bore rider design at about 60gn. If it will fit your mag it should do very well in that twist.
    It groups very well in my 1/14" CCM but does show some wobble at 100 yards at the 1800 fps or so achievable with the cartridge and boolit weight.
    I have a Savage 223 with a 1/9 and hope to try that boolit in it soon.
    I likely wont make much progress this week as we are supposed to be -40 to -50 all week.

Boolit Master

I have wondered about the Savage with the 1/9 twist too seems really fast maybe too many rpm's for such a small boolit, be interested to know how that turns out.

I did get to get to the range to shoot again before this last blast of artic air hit had 4* this morning I know that would be a nice balmy day for Bullshop but for this ole boy sure puts a chill in my bones. I was shooting some H4227 this time and didn't shoot nearly as well as the 2400 so I went for some center shots instead of groups. How are you going to measure the center shots? From the center of target to edge of boolit hole or center of boolit hole. Do you then average that distance or add it up then what? Do you add it to the group average or add them then average just curious?

Boolit Master
    Your trying to make this hard on me! To be honest I have not decided yet. Its one of those deals where I figured I would get there when I am there.
    I was thinking something like from target center to boolit hole center then use that just as if it were one of the three shot targets measured from C to C then average all six targets for a single score.
    So say if on a group target you shoot a .75" group and on the C to C you shoot a .75" from target center to BH center they would be the same value in your average.
    I would also like to mention smallest individual target and smallest over all.

Boolit Master

Sorry I'm just getting to this guys. I'm right in the final third of our whitetail season with a lot a family in and out of the ranch. I quickly read through the post and what I understand is that:
    • We will be using a "soup can" to trace a target.
    • Shoot at 50-yards for receiver sights or 100-yards with scopes.

What are the dates of the match and where do we send the targets? If the close dates are beyond the end of hunting season, I will shoot my 218 Bee and 219 Zipper with my bullet.
    Michael

Boolit Master
    Ends on 3/1/11 Send targets with all pertinent load data to
    The Bullshop
    HC 62 box 5640
    Delta Junction Alaska 99737

You wont be the only one shooting the Ranch Dog boolit.

Boolit Master in Heaven's Range
    Is Ranch Dog right about the targets, or can we use any paper target?

It was about 80 degrees here today. Supposed to get down to the upper 60s by Thursday or Friday. Maybe it'll warm back up to good shooting weather by next week.

Regards,

Stew
    Sig file change:
    "Obi Wan Baloney"
    VOTE 2012! Throw them out! Every last one of them! (Feel free to add this to your sig. Spread the word!)

"...Get a rope." Pace Picante Sauce commercial, ca. 1984

"I (did, on several occasions) swear to support and defend the Constitution of the United States, against ALL enemies, foreign AND domestic, and to bear true faith and allegiance to the same." And when I left, they never asked me to recant.

Boolit Master
    Any target will do. I mentioned the soup can because thats what I use. It makes about a 3" circle and when traced with a Sharpie King size the line is wide and black.
    At 100 yards that makes a good target for scope or for iron sights at 50.
    I do color in the whole circle for iron sights.
    AZ-Stew
    Man your killing me. You have to wait for it to warm up from 60F? Right now if you are at 60 above zero we have a 100 degree spread between there and here. I shot today but not for long.

Boolit Master
    I'm really really hoping to get my little .22 wildcat going in time to use it for the competition...

I'll go shoot the hornet in the next few weeks to see what I can do with open sights in the mean time.
    Nozombies.com Practical Zombie Survival

Collecting .32 molds. Please let me know if you have one you don't need, cause I might "need" it!

Boolit Master
    Bwaaaaa bummer!!!!! Someone came in our shop and bought the Ruger hornet I was using for this match. Bwaaaaa! It was a shop gun and for sale, I was just using it.
    Bummer! Well he put up the price and left with it so now I have to start over. Yesterday I tried a few shots with the NOE RCBS clone and it showed some possibility.
    This is a 60gn bore rider and I tried it in a Savage 223 with 1/9" twist. Of 10 shots most were in a tight cluster with two out to about 2". This rifle is an older Savage Tactical model 20" heavy barrel. We sold it last summer but it got traded back last week. It was being used with bullets only and I didn't bother cleaning it before switching over to boolits. That may account for the two flyer's. I intend to begin working with this one and see what happens.
    BTW Our temp was about -40 and the load that I tries was with the 60gn NOE, 9gn Alliant Steel and the Federal #100 SP primer. The Alliant Steel is a very bulky flake powder with about the same burn rate as 2400. It fills the case better and gives good ignition even in very cold temp. It meters poorly from a powder dump but does so well in the cold I feel it worth having to weigh charges.

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast