Load DataSnyders JerkyRepackboxInline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersReloading Everything
Titan Reloading RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ikea furniture stores do not honor CCW

Boolit Master in Heaven's Range

Ikea furniture stores do not honor CCW

I made my first trip to an Ikea furniture store this afternoon, looking for a new TV stand to replace the one we have. We're looking at buying a big flat panel TV and out current TV support will only hold a 32" CRT TV.

Anyway, when I entered the store, there was an open lobby with an escalator and a greeter. The greeter was busy, so I walked around him and took the elevator to the second floor, as there was no furniture to be seen in the lobby.

When I reached the top, there were no signs indicating where I should go, and the store is not open, or arranged in aisles, where one might find his way around intuitively. It's arranged as a "rat in the maze", forcing the customer to transit a circuitous route, taking him through the entire store before returning to the start point. I found a set of maps hanging on the wall, consisting of three blocks (there's only one floor of furniture???) that did not face the direction of the building layout and were generally worthless for finding one's way around the store. I finally took a guess at the proper direction of travel and found that they didn't have what I needed. Hike back to the elevator.

When I reached the first floor, I went in the direction I thought I should go, and found myself in a Swedish grocery store of sorts. After hiking 50 yards or so away from the elevator, I decided to reverse direction and see if I could find someone who could tell me how to get out of the damned maze. The exit(through the entry lobby) was around the corner from the elevator (where I thought it should be), but was not prominently marked. It was walled off, with only some "employees only"-looking doors for the exit. NO SIGNS!

As I exited the lobby to the parking lot, I glanced down to my right and saw a sticker on the window next to the door, showing the standard handgun outline, but without the red circle and angled bar that usually indicates "no". My first thought was, "well, it's a lousy store layout, but at least they're gun-friendly". Then I stepped outside and read the text under the gun outline. It said, "Weapons-Free Zone".

I just spent 20 minutes or so on the phone with the store manager, telling him about the lousy store layout, my limited mobility which prevents me from walking long distances, and about the stupid, misleading sign next to the entry door. I didn't get much satisfaction. I did tell him that I'd let my friends know what the store policy is of the Ikea furniture chain regarding honest, law-abiding CCW permit holders.

Regards,

Stew
    Sig file change:
    "Obi Wan Baloney"
    VOTE 2012! Throw them out! Every last one of them! (Feel free to add this to your sig. Spread the word!)

"...Get a rope." Pace Picante Sauce commercial, ca. 1984

"I (did, on several occasions) swear to support and defend the Constitution of the United States, against ALL enemies, foreign AND domestic, and to bear true faith and allegiance to the same." And when I left, they never asked me to recant.

Boolit Master
    Thats why concealed means "Concealed "
    Sent from my PC with a keyboard and camera on it with internet too.
    Melting Stuff is FUN!
    Shooting stuff is even funner

L W Knight

That's ok, I don't like their furniture anyway............

Hope this helps.

Fred

Boolit Master
    You were Lucky. Ikea stuff is garbage. If you'd purchased something the Pain would have lasted Much Longer!
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Moderator Emeritus

Ikea is swedish for junk. You're better off not having bought anything there. Consider yourself lucky that you will never enter their stores again.
    Give us this day our daily lead.

Sic Semper Tyrannis.

If you don't want 1984 you're going to need some 1776.
    WWGWD

Their Swedish. What do you expect? They rolled over to the Krauts at the drop of hat.
    Thermal underwear style guru.
    "Exclusive international distributor of Jeff Brown Hunt Club clothing."
    Supplier to the rich(?) and infamous.

Cheers from New Zealand

Jeff.

I"ve been selling furniture for many years,and also am positive that their stuff is junk..beyond junk even.
    And,ir they don't like firearms,we don't want them taking our mney anyway.Skru 'em.

Boolit Master
    well of it said weapons free. i would have called and made a fuss wanting my free weapon. and yes i have done it before.
    also consealed maens just that i walk right past those signs. the most they can do is ask you to leave . then if you refuse it could get you a truspass arest.

Quote Originally Posted by bob208 View Post
    well of it said weapons free. i would have called and made a fuss wanting my free weapon. and yes i have done it before.
    also consealed maens just that i walk right past those signs. the most they can do is ask you to leave . then if you refuse it could get you a truspass arest.
    Not true in all states. In some states, ignoring such a sign can be a crime. You have to be aware of this distinction state by state.

In Remembrance

Pleasant Valley, NV, 400 yd. N of Galena Creek
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffinNZ View Post
    Their Swedish. What do you expect? They rolled over to the Krauts at the drop of hat.
    And to the North Viets. They called it "humanitarian aid", but aid is aid.
    Eagles have talons, buzzards don't. The Second Amendment empowers us to be eagles. curmudgeon

What a coincidence: as gun owner, I'm Ikea-free.

If these comments had been made in the politics/ot-section I would not have been offended.
    Ikea stuff is mostly junk. Most of it is likely Chinese, or Taiwanese.

I seriously doubt that any Swedes were involved in the ccw policies of an Arizona store. Blame your neighbors for that one, not me.

Btw, the founder of Ikea actually was a Nazi at some point in the 30'ies. Sad but true. I think the Nazis were percieved differently then. More as a way to oppose communism.

I agree that the Ikea-maze-layout is frustrating at best.

Boolit Master
    HI,
    THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THIS POST.
    For warned is for armed. I will NOT buy from them!

Boolit Grand Master
    Ugluk makes a couple good points in his text. I suspect that gun enthusiasts in Sweden deal with the same sorts of hoplophobic nonsense that Californians have to wade through, and it is best to not confuse the positions and actions of a nation's GOVERNMENT with the opinions and feelings of its citizens. We need look no further than our own country for evidence in depth of such dissonance.

I also live in an IKEA-free zone, and will continue to do so.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Master in Heaven's Range
    Quote Originally Posted by Ugluk View Post
    I seriously doubt that any Swedes were involved in the ccw policies of an Arizona store. Blame your neighbors for that one, not me.
    I was told by their manager that it's corporate policy, not just the single store. Since it's a Swedish-owned corporation, there was likely some influence, or at least approval of the policy, from the homeland.

Regards,

Stew
    Sig file change:
    "Obi Wan Baloney"
    VOTE 2012! Throw them out! Every last one of them! (Feel free to add this to your sig. Spread the word!)

"...Get a rope." Pace Picante Sauce commercial, ca. 1984

"I (did, on several occasions) swear to support and defend the Constitution of the United States, against ALL enemies, foreign AND domestic, and to bear true faith and allegiance to the same." And when I left, they never asked me to recant.

Boolit Grand Master

The good news is that in Kansas you can legally ignore any signage except the exact size,
    color, design and font size specified by KS law. I actually think that some of the store and
    restaurant owners know this and have the "legal to ignore" signs to satisfy their dippy anti
    gun customers while the educated CCW people know to laugh at the "Weapon Free Zone"
    signs which have zero force of law behind them.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

I cannot even hint at what my thoughts are when it comes to Sweden and Ikea, if I did in my own words I would be instantly banned from this site. Suffice it to say that the greatest Swede that ever lived in my book is my great grandfather who packed up his family and immigrated here at the tail end of the 19th century.

Boolit Master
    The good news is that in Kansas you can legally ignore any signage except the exact size, color, design and font size specified by KS law. I actually think that some of the store and
    restaurant owners know this and have the "legal to ignore" signs to satisfy their dippy anti
    gun customers while the educated CCW people know to laugh at the "Weapon Free Zone"
    signs which have zero force of law behind them.
    What a clever idea.... particularly if a local store manager has to satisfy a dippy, anti-gun corporate manager...
    Paul

Super Moderator

...........I'm sure the original poster's intention was simply to alert folks to IKEA's ccw policy. I'm a bit dismayed to see it become a "Country Bashing" thing. So far as I know the Swedish government provided rifles and ammunition to citizens in shooting clubs, and was very pro markmenship as having a trained population was a vlauable adjunct to it's standing military.

Sweden also sent, armed, and supported a division sized group of volunteers to Finland to help them against the Soviet Communists who'd invaded them.

If an American from 1950 was to be transported to 2010, what do you think they'd think of our current firearms, and governmental situation? And I'm afraid the further back you went to pull people forward, thier dismay would grow exponentially.

Any further off topic posts to this thread will be deleted.

...................Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckshot View Post
    ...........I'm sure the original poster's intention was simply to alert folks to IKEA's ccw policy. I'm a bit dismayed to see it become a "Country Bashing" thing. So far as I know the Swedish government provided rifles and ammunition to citizens in shooting clubs, and was very pro markmenship as having a trained population was a vlauable adjunct to it's standing military.

Sweden also sent, armed, and supported a division sized group of volunteers to Finland to help them against the Soviet Communists who'd invaded them.

If an American from 1950 was to be transported to 2010, what do you think they'd think of our current firearms, and governmental situation? And I'm afraid the further back you went to pull people forward, thier dismay would grow exponentially.

Any further off topic posts to this thread will be deleted.

...................Buckshot
    Buckshot, that would be the SWISS, not the Swedes. Most people make that mistake

Swedes actually have some pretty strict gun control laws like the rest of Europe. The swiss give every household a Stg91 and 1200 Rnds My mother about crapped a brick when she saw a 19 y/o swiss girl riding the BUS with a select-fire .mil weapon in her case...With Hello Kitty stickers on the case

And one of the Big Gov. sponsored ranges outside Bern is better than some 10K a year shooting clubs here in the USA. On-site pistol, long gun, 500 Yard range, heated lanes, electronic target scoring, onsite bar and restaurant, "pro shop" and 2 gunsmiths.

Have to love a society that makes it a LAW to issue a full-on military rifle to every household.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast