WidenersInline FabricationTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
Reloading EverythingRepackboxLee PrecisionLoad Data
RotoMetals2 MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Lee .224 Size Die for 22lr DeRim

Lee .224 Size Die for 22lr DeRim

Here it is. Tonight I turned down the lee factory push through punch to .200 and rounded the end. Then put a polish on it. I also opened the end of the lee sizer die a bit bigger to help ease the head of the 22lr in better. I do have to say, these makes some nice cups... I am editing my vid, hopefully I will have it up tonight or at least by morning...

The punch on left was turned down to .200, the one on Right is original factory

The Lee .224 size die modified to make opening larger

22 Case fits the turned down push through punch

The De-Rimmed 22 case on left, unaltered on right

Group Photo Guys..

Vendor Sponsor

You got yourself a lathe Looks good. Keep us posted.
    BTX Star Crimp Die
    Back in stock with new low price!
    Click link below!
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...Star-Crimp-Die

also check in and say hello on my new face book page!
    https://www.facebook.com/BTSniper-153949954674572/

Thanks, yes got the lathe around September while it was on sale. Just now getting around to using it. Excited about it that is for sure.... As the project progresses, I will keep ya informed..

Vendor Sponsor

**** on sale! did we miss a bargin?
    BTX Star Crimp Die
    Back in stock with new low price!
    Click link below!
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...Star-Crimp-Die

also check in and say hello on my new face book page!
    https://www.facebook.com/BTSniper-153949954674572/

I believe it is back on sale again at Grizzly. It is the G4000 model for 895.00 when I got mine. 9x19. So far, I have no negative comment about it. I just have to learn more. I did purchase me a quick change tool post from little machine shop for 99 buck. Man, that thing is a dream!!!

I won't bore you all with the modifying the punch. Here is the vid that shows what everyone wants to see which shows that it does work....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wzs-83ksP0

I also want to note, that measureing these now after running them through the sizer die, they OD is measuring.225-.226. I am thinking when I start on my point forming die, I will make one to about .223 to see if there is a little bit of spring back and if not, then I will make one at .224 that way it does the final sizing at the same time forming a point.

Boolit Grand Master

Impressive Daywalker, keep us posted on your progress.
    1Shirt!
    "Common Sense Is An Uncommon Virtue" Ben Franklin

"Ve got too soon old and too late smart" Pa.Dutch Saying

Boolit Master
    The finished jacket should be less than .224, that way it will enter the die easily and expand up to finished diameter in the point forming die. If you use a jacket over finished bullet diameter you run the risk of harder ejection or possibly a stuck bullet. You can get away with this more with the pistol bullet dies because the part that ejects the bullet is much larger. Most ejection pins for 22 bullet dies measure about .081. Can't use too much pressure with that or it will just push into the bullet. I'm not saying it won't work but definatly something to watch for.

Does Lee make a .223 bullet sizing die? That would be about perfect. Nice work on the die and punch though! I'd love to get a lathe myself, just havn't got the extra funds.

I could get Lee to make one. I am hoping to get away from using another manufacturer's creation and hopefully make my own. I am still learning. It was fun modifying this one to get some time on the lathe and present a problem for me to try and solve. This is kinda me challenging myself.

What I am hoping to do, and we shall see how it goes, make a point form die that is a bit smaller. Make the die longer with the point form being at the end of the die. So what would ultimatly happen is that the bullet with core would get sized down together and at the end of the sizing, form the point. Not hollow pointing.

Kind of like a trial and error. One way to learn is to try. Somone once stated on here when working on a lathe, the interesting things are the ones that you messed up on, all other items are just usable parts.. Something to that effect..

Thanks for the kind words on the workmanship. Still have a long way's to crawl...

Boolit Mold
    Daywalker very interesting and thanks for posting.

Boolit Mold
    I am just starting to look into performing this process myself using a Lee .224 sizing die. I am wondering if using these jackets with a diameter that is larger than .218" causes any problems when trying to size in a lead core seating die? It is my understanding that you would want a jacket cup to have an OD of about .218" so that you can expand it to .224" when seating the lead core. Thanks!

Boolit Master
    seated with Him in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus (Eph 2:6)
    nicely done! keep us posted, i am particularly interested in how you are going to make the point forming die...

btw, if you use a Lee 9mm powder thru expanding die it can service as the die body which screws into the realoading press, then you can turn sizing dies that drop in (9/16" 12L14 turns wonderfully and the OD drops right in without turning), then just get a 5/8-18 grade 5 bolt and turn down the end 3/4" to 0.555 and it will work as a "stop" for the insert, drill a hole in this bolt and you can put a top punch in it to eject a swaged bullet, or you can drill a larger hole in the 5/8" bolt and make it a "pass thru" stop for lead core and bullet sizing... you can do this to make drop in inserts for core seating/swaging, and bullet sizing... i made a complete 9mm to 40SW/10mm swage system like this using a smaller lathe than yours
    Last edited by Cane_man; 05-21-2013 at 11:33 AM.

Boolit Master
    Cane Man, Tommy aka Daywalker has not been on here for some time now. Since this has been originally posted (almost 2 and a half years ago) he has since decided that this is not the way to go!

BofKGB, I hope you received my message. Let me know if you have any further questions! I am always happy to chat on the phone if you would like.

Boolit Master
    you are probably right Utah, but trying is half the fun it certainly is doable for most handgun calibers, but rifle it is a different story all together...

Boolit Master
    not trying to be right just stating he has not been here for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by MIBULLETS View Post
    The finished jacket should be less than .224, that way it will enter the die easily and expand up to finished diameter in the point forming die. If you use a jacket over finished bullet diameter you run the risk of harder ejection or possibly a stuck bullet.
    These would be a good start on the .243 bullets or even the 25 cal stuff using the 17 hmr or 22 mag brass.
    "let's go. He ain't hittin' nothin'.".... "You IDIOT, he's hit everything he's aimed at!"

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by MightyThor View Post
    These would be a good start on the .243 bullets or even the 25 cal stuff using the 17 hmr or 22 mag brass.
    Yes, works perfect for derimming 17 hmr and 22 mag brass for .243 jackets or what I do is derim in the .224 sizing die then run them through my actual derim die and they size down very nicely for longer .224 jackets. Beware Lee's punches are a soft metal and wear down rather quickly.

Boolit Master
    grade 8 bolts for punches