Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2Inline FabricationLoad Data
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Repackbox Reloading Everything

View Poll Results: Do you think a SA revolver makes a good self-defense handgun?

Voters
971. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

335 34.50%
  • No. The fact that they are SA, have slow reloads, bulky hammers, etc… makes them a poor choice.

119 12.26%
  • If that is what you feel comfortable with then go for it.

517 53.24%
Page 21 of 27 FirstFirst ... 1112131415161718192021222324252627 LastLast

Thread: Single Action revolvers for self-defense?

Catshooter it has been awhile since Jordan said that,but as i said it made an impression on me. There's nothing wrong with a good auto and if that's what a person is practiced with and has confidence in then that's what they should use. Confidence and resolve are two key ingredients in a defense situation. It's a personal choice and for me it's the revolver against two legged and four legged critters for that use. Besides, i'm too old to play catch up now.

Boolit Mold
    It only takes 1 shot......bullet placement.

Boolit Master

35shooter,

Yep, I do know what you mean. I would have stuck with revolvers longer had there been good support equipment (holsters were fine, but carrying spare ammo?) and especially if Smith had been the ones to build the Charter 44 Bulldog. I love the Bulldog don't get me wrong. But just think if Smith & Wesson had built it!

Cat
    Cogito, ergo armatum sum.

(I think, therefore I'm armed.)

Boolit Grand Master

I have a bird's head SAA in 45 Colt that I think would make a dandy road-trip gun in an El Paso Saddlery cross-draw holster. A behind-the-hip holstered firearm is a bit slow to get into action from the driver's seat, unless you're a lefty. i've had a few "difficulties" in rest areas so have learned to appreciate the problem-solving abilities of a big-bore handgun, one that has four loud warning clicks could certainly dissuade someone with less-than-honorable intent. If that fails the roar of a 45 Colt, a cloud of BP smoke and a well-placed chunk of lead should solve the problem.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

The best gun for self-defense is the one that is available when you need it. Go for it.

Perma-Banned

Very relevant subject for the current time: Gun Control = 1 shot 1 kill. I'm all for gun control.

OB

[FONT=times new roman][SIZE=3]Je suis Charlie

Safeguard our way of life...Defend the Constitution against ALL Enemies, Foreign and Domestic!!!

back in the day when revolvers had the field to them selves think civil war. pistols where carried in multiple pairs , going well healed worked for them and wood still work the same today . all so if good with two at once can engage two at the same time. I do practice this every time I shoot my brace of bisley new Blackhawks 45 convertible's

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    I read a contemporary account from a diary of a fellow who rode with Mosby during the Civil War. On raidstypical armament was FOUR revolvers, two draped across the cantle of the saddle plus one on each hip, a double barrel shotgun or carbine in a saddle scabbard, plus saber or lance.

Imagine a dozen of these troops galloping down your main street!

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    I read a contemporary account from a diary of a fellow who rode with Mosby during the Civil War. On raidstypical armament was FOUR revolvers, two draped across the cantle of the saddle plus one on each hip, a double barrel shotgun or carbine in a saddle scabbard, plus saber or lance.

Imagine a dozen of these troops galloping down your main street!
    Efficient, and downright ferocious.

The first handgun I ever fired at about age 7-8 I now own--an original Colt Bisley Model in 32-20 WCF x 4-3/4" long. I suppose I was "patterned" on the Colt-pattern SAA from that experience--to me, for many years, the Colt SAA was what a handgun looked like. In many ways, that hasn't changed much. I shoot them VERY well, they "point" naturally for me. They evoke historic imagery on sight that few firearms can match. (I love lever rifles for the same reason.) I am fond of most firearms type, certainly--but I LOVE single-action revolvers and lever rifles. Goodness knows, I own fleet-level numbers of both--and additions to those numbers are the most likely growth areas of the safe. This is in marked contrast to recent actions with my eclectic overall assortment.
    Last edited by 9.3X62AL; 02-28-2014 at 10:19 AM.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Master

Ain't nothing wrong with a good SA for self-defense. I never worried about getting in shoot out with a motorcycle gang. I don't think about "tacticool" reloads for self defense either.
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting

Quote Originally Posted by Hickok View Post
    Ain't nothing wrong with a good SA for self-defense. I never worried about getting in shoot out with a motorcycle gang. I don't think about "tacticool" reloads for self defense either.
    Whew I was worried someone was going to suggest I needed a Glock. Al can tell us but I am sure more than one or two rounds settles most unfaourable discussions. Up here it is bears that are a problem. The only reason you might need more than six is if you miss shooting yourself with the sixth round. The bush around here is close so you really don't get much warning. Otherwise my handguns are purely for recreation shooting IDPA, tin cans and paper targets of opportunity.

I really don't own anything worth shooting somebody for frankly other than my life and after you go through all the legal nonsense that might not be worth it either.

Take Care

Bob
    pa Love my SAA's
    Its been months since I bought the book, "How to scam people online". It still has not arrived yet!

"If the human population held hands around the equator, a significant portion of them would drown"

Banned
    I believe the poll is skewed. The questions assume certain responses that I don't agree with.

Reloading - probably not an issue in over 98% of deadly force encounters with a handgun.
    Single action - not my cup of tea for self defense but far better than nothing.

Would a SA revolver be my first choice for a SD gun? No.
    Would I use a SA revolver if it was my only option? Of course I would.
    Is slow reloading a handicap? Maybe but we'll cross that bridge after the first five shots; it might be a non-issue.

Boolit Buddy
    I think the key word is self-defense, in this condition you are rarely going to need for than 6 rounds, now if you are going into a fire fight than yes I would want more.

Boolit Buddy

I own mostly SA's and think they're fine for self defense. They're not my first choice but like with anything you should be well practiced with it if you expect to be effective. I'd rather face an un-practiced bad guy with a semi-auto than a well rehearsed SASS member with a SA. I have DA's too but I don't think I've ever shot them in DA mode.

Quote Originally Posted by ejcrist View Post
    I own mostly SA's and think they're fine for self defense. They're not my first choice but like with anything you should be well practiced with it if you expect to be effective. I'd rather face an un-practiced bad guy with a semi-auto than a well rehearsed SASS member with a SA. I have DA's too but I don't think I've ever shot them in DA mode.
    I rarely shoot a DA/SA revolver double action, I grew up with single actions, and that is how I have shot for decades.

Perm-Banned
    along side my bed is a 1871 open top uberti colt 38 special and a ROA with a 45 long colt cylinder, both are fully loaded. i feel very very comfortable with them. 10 bullets should protect myself and my family. i wouldnt know what to do with a awkward semi auto in my hands but these two feel like part of my hand. their are also 3 shotguns behind the kitchen door. a person would be a fool to try to kick our door in. i was raised with single actions and i judge every thing by them. they work when its 20 below 0 and some semi autos dont.

Boolit Master

I, personally, would be leery of a man packing a SAA (if I was a bad guy) or at ease in and in good company (if I was sitting down to eat and saw someone open carrying one). Cause my way of thinking is that man might know how to use it.

FBI stats still say 4-6 rounds fired from each weapon is the norm for civilian on civilian fire fights.
    Hi capacity semi autos give the false hope for spray and pray. To the untrained, and lets face it that is 99.9% of people carrying out there.
    Caliber has nothing to do with it! Just as many 45ACP miss as 22lr!
    And you are normally going to exchange less than 8 rounds total. Because smart people are running away, on both sides!
    Handgun calibers in handguns that can be concealed make poor "man stoppers".

So yeah, I would feel good packing a SAA type in any caliber. But my BH FT 44 special would top the list.

Jerry
    I'll be needing that for squirrels and such.....

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Catshooter View Post
    35shooter,

Yep, I do know what you mean. I would have stuck with revolvers longer had there been good support equipment (holsters were fine, but carrying spare ammo?) and especially if Smith had been the ones to build the Charter 44 Bulldog. I love the Bulldog don't get me wrong. But just think if Smith & Wesson had built it!

Cat
    I would get the tingles if that happened. I'm excited it Ruger made the Redhawk with a 3" and round butt! Or a SP101 in 41 magnum or 44 special 5 shot. Hell even a Gp100 in a 2.5" barrel, round butt, and 5shot 41mag or 44 spec!

Jerry

Boolit Master

But would I seriously carry a SAA for personal self defense. Yes. If I'm out and about, my mine weapon is my rifle/shotgun in the vehicle. Any handgun is a piss poor man stopper. It should be used only to stop a threat against you or your loved ones when a proper weapon is not available. I doubt I will face or engage an armed threat with my loved ones around me. My plan is to get them and everyone else of of harms way, me included. Handgun would be in hand. It would be a tacticle retreat. Cause odds are he is better armed and better protected.

I have practiced shooting my buddies Ruger Bird Head 45LC along with my S&W 642 on room clearings. There is not allot of difference in time and the Ruger is more accurate. So each choose there own.

Jerry

Sorry is this is a re post.. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XoW7VUZtn-E

We carried single action guns for self defence for over a century. As a career policeman during the era of the revolver, most gun fights are at close range and are settled with just a few shots. I was a policeman in Alaska and one incident that I recall, involved a dispute between two fellows at one of the local springs in a remote community. I do not know if anyone really knows what the dispute was about, however it was severe enough to result in gun fire. The antagonist was armed with an Uzi, the protagonist had a short barrel mod 19 S&W. The guy with the revolved made it back to his truck, and ducked down behind his door, the other chap opened up with the Uzi, and sprayed the truck, the drives side window was gone early in the engagement, the fellow in the truck stuck his hand, full of S&W, out the place where the window had been and just pointed and shot until he was empty. One of the bullets from the revolver, was a 10X, and the engagement was over.

Better luck than good management, but it goes to the point that high capacity does not always win the day.

There are competent "Cowboy Action" shooters that can hold their own against almost anyone armed with anything. The caveat here is that if the "dance" goes beyond six rounds, then the SA is a bit problematic.

Back in the era of the percussion revolver, those that were interested in a quick reload carried extra cylinders. Still not as fast as a good DA gun with speed loaders, but better than loading one chamber at a time. I have on occasion carried my Blackhawk, .45 Colt/.45ACP, with the extra cylinder in a speed loader pouch.

Is the SA revolver a good self defence choice??? It depends on if you have to deal with multiple assailants..and how are you going to know about that until you are in the thick of it... J

PS Most of us will be struck by lightening, before we find ourselves in a gun fight.

Page 21 of 27 FirstFirst ... 1112131415161718192021222324252627 LastLast