Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyRepackboxInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2Load DataTitan ReloadingLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ".38 Special loads in .357 magnum cases..."

Boolit Master

".38 Special loads in .357 magnum cases..."

I have a quantity of .357 magnum cases that I would like to load to the same level as my .38 Special cases with 158 grain semi-wadcutters and Unique powder. My .38 load is 4.1 grains of Unique. I looked in my loading manuals for an equivalent load, but could not find one. I had thought that I would load somewhere between 4.5 grains and 5 grains of Unique. I know this is probably a no brainer, but I was somewhat surprised that no manuals, even the Lyman Cast Bullet manual did not list such a load.

Does anyone see a problem with 4.5 to 5 grains of Unique in a .357 magnum case with a 158 grain lead boolit? I only ask because light loads, such as those used in cowboy action shooting have been known to blow up guns as often as heavy loads, or so I have heard. Thanks.

exile
    "There is not a single instance in history in which civil liberty was lost, and religious liberty preserved entire. If therefore we yield up our temporal property, we at the same time deliver the conscience into bondage." --John Witherspoon, The Dominion of Providence Over the Passions of Men. 1776

"The words of the Lord are pure words, like silver refined in a furnace on the ground, purified seven times." Psalm 12:6 (E.S.V.)

Boolit Master
    Forgot about the .38 Special +P loads in my Lee manual. I think I will try 4.4 grains of Unique and see how that works.

exile
    "There is not a single instance in history in which civil liberty was lost, and religious liberty preserved entire. If therefore we yield up our temporal property, we at the same time deliver the conscience into bondage." --John Witherspoon, The Dominion of Providence Over the Passions of Men. 1776

"The words of the Lord are pure words, like silver refined in a furnace on the ground, purified seven times." Psalm 12:6 (E.S.V.)

4.4 will work fine,I've used just a bit less too.

Boolit Master
    Thanks, I will give that a try.

exile

Boolit Master
    I do almost the same thing in my .44 mag cases .......

........ however, I load to just above .44 spec levels with the right powder.

Say if a particular load in a .44 spec runs in the 700+ range ...... my .44 mag cased load will get in to the 860-870 fps range to get consistent ..... say with Titegroup or better still Hodgon Clays (not Universal Clays)

With Unique in big cases ...... I switch to magnum primers and develop a good and cleaner load than I would get with standard primers .....

Three 44s

bhn22
    You might do better to use starting .357 loads that offer the same velocities you're seeking. This way you're sure to get the performance you want. There's a lot of data available. 38 Spl loads in .357 cases will likely be slower than the same load in a 38 case because of the extra case volume.

Boolit Master
    I guess you learn something new every day, at least on this website. I was surprised to see (in my manuals at least) that starting loads with Unique in the
    .357 magnum seem to be so much more (6.2 as opposed to 4.1 in .38 special). The learning goes on.

(I guess my point is that if I really wanted .357 magnum loads I would use something like AA # 9, I did not think that anyone would really try to raise velocities with powders like Unique or Bullseye, [referring to what is in the manuals, not what you guys said})

exile

I've been doing this for years in an effort to save my beloved K-Frame Magnum Smiths. I call them "Mag Lite Loads". I even load HBWC loads in .357 cases for target shooting. Since the .357 has about 10% more case capacity, I use the same loads I use for .38 Special, plus 10%. That usually works fine, and there's no way it's gonna blow it up!

My favorite load for .38 Special is one I got from Glenn Fryxell, and that's 5.4 grains of Unique pushing a Lyman 358477. Very, very accurate. I haven't been able to load a wadcutter load that did better yet. Tried it in .357 mag cases, plus 10%, 5.9-6 Grains (I usually go 6.0) and it works great.
    I DO NOT ACCEPT PAYPAL! Why do business with people who hate you?
    Will Trade for heavy 8mm moulds, 7.92x57 brass, quick detach 1" scope rings/mounts

I use fast powders in 357 magnum at greater than 38 pressure a bunch. To find really accurate loads for the range the higher pressure of the 357 opens up a bunch of powder combination's that work really well. And it's cheaper too. Shooting with 5 grains of HP-38 is a lot less than 12 grains of 2400.

It's not really about raising the velocity for me, just great target loads. The 38 special loads aren't always the most accurate, at least in my 6 inch revolver. Added later: But sometimes the 38 special loads are extremely accurate and work well.
    Last edited by 357shooter; 11-22-2010 at 07:55 AM.

Boolit Master

I have found that several of my 38 Special target loads work well in 357 cases with no increase in powder charge. Almost the same velocity too.

Le Loup Solitaire

38's in 357 cases

There is an old saying among some handloaders that goes," 357's make better 38s". As to why, well there are a few theories on the subject. One is that the bullet is closer to the rifling by that 1/10th of an inch; another is that the change in the loading density is the reason etc. There is nothing shabby about the 38 special; a lot of incredible accuracy has been achieved with it for a long time. The idea that it could be outdone by using a 357 case is kind of hard to imagine. My own experience has been limited to target work with flat faced wadcutters at fairly low velocities in two 357 revolvers. In those, the 357 cases consistently did better than the 38 cases. I will admit that "one (or 2) robin(s) do not make it springtime" so a lot more investigation would be logical. That should include stouter loads and the use of SWC's and roundnoses. LLS

Quote Originally Posted by Le Loup Solitaire View Post
    There is an old saying among some handloaders that goes," 357's make better 38s".
    That's a good saying and very true I think. For me the longer cases and bullets loaded a bit long combined with the wider range of powder combination's make it incredibly tunable and flexible.

Boolit Master
    Good thoughts.

exile

Boolit Buddy
    I've got a friend who loads .38 spl loads in .357 cases. Insists it's better. His reasoning: He doesn't own any "true" .38 spls--all Magnums...and he hates sorting .38 from .357 brass!

Sounds like as good a logic as anything else I've heard...

Carry on. Load, test, and shoot....
    American by birth
    Texan by the Grace of God!

Moderator Emeritus

http://www.castpics.net/
    Go to articles by members and High speed 38 loads, Then thank Beagle.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Buddy

Thumbs up

I don't load my 357mag cases to anything near a hot load. For years, I've standardized on the RCBS 150gr SWC in the mag case with 6.0gr Unique. Very, very mild load, with very good accuracy and minimal recoil and noise. For the 38Spec cases, I use the same boolit over 5.0gr Unique, with similar results, except that I can also use it in the 38Special revolvers. This last year, I've pretty much decided to reduce the 38Spec load just a bit, to perhaps 4.6gr Unique to further reduce the recoil to a lower level yet.
    Heavier loads in the 357mag cases need a different boolit, to visually point out the difference between, for example my 150gr SWC utility loads and my heavier 358429HP hunting loads. This system allows me to always know what type load I am using, even without labels.
    I used RCBS 148gr WC boolits in both the Special and Mag cases for years- forgot the exact loads now, but it was Unique, for sure.
    Today, I use the different boolit style approach to tell me what load I have on hand.
    Try it- it always works-

358wcf

Boolit Master

more than one reason for the differences in powder

Quote Originally Posted by exile View Post
    I guess you learn something new every day, at least on this website. I was surprised to see (in my manuals at least) that starting loads with Unique in the
    .357 magnum seem to be so much more (6.2 as opposed to 4.1 in .38 special). The learning goes on.

(I guess my point is that if I really wanted .357 magnum loads I would use something like AA # 9, I did not think that anyone would really try to raise velocities with powders like Unique or Bullseye, [referring to what is in the manuals, not what you guys said})

exile

First and foremost is the increase in case/powder volume in the 357 Mag vs the 38 SPL.

Secondly is the "max pressure" issue, something like 16,000 for the 38SPL and 36,000 for the 357.
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

Boolit Master
    Been doing it for many years.

At the time I started, I could pick up as much 357 range brass as I wanted, and was too lazy to readjust my dies every time I changed loads.

So, it all went into 357 brass. no problems yet. Just make sure to mark your boxes (as you should be anyway)

It might be slightly lower velocity in the larger case, but nothing too drastic. I've loaded down to about 600 fps, and up to 1500 or so, in 357 brass.
    NRA life member

LB

I have been disappointed that most manuals start at higher velocities for many cast boolits than I would like in the .357. I too would like some .38 Special velocity loads for their quiet report. I have larger calibers for serious larger game hunting, and appreciate how well the lighter .38 loads work on targets, and small game. I guess I'll just have to break out the chronograph one of these days, and make that a project.

Boolit Master
    A chronograph would solve many an issue, wouldn't it? I would love to have one.

exile

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast