Load DataReloading EverythingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Wideners Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: .243 boolit

Boolit Buddy
    That is a fine looking boolit I would be in for 1. I have a 6x45, a couple or 6TCUs and 6x47 6ppc and 6 br. that is a lot better looking bullet than I am using now.

Kirb

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by phishroy View Post
    i would love another option for my rem' 700 in 243 but my question is: would a 77 grain bullet preform ok in a 1:9 twist?

right now im using the RCBS mold and boolits are 98 grains.
    when i was shooting J-word bullets out of it i know it didn't like anything lighter than 80 grains.
    does anyone shoot a rem 700 243 9 twist?
    any recommended on boolit weight?

I am interested, depending on timing of the run

Little Egypt, Part of the political fifedom of Chicago
    Quote Originally Posted by phishroy View Post
    does anyone shoot a rem 700 243 9 twist? any recommended on boolit weight?
    We have shot 65 to 100 gr. jacketed out of our 6x45s, both of which have a 9" twist. It should work fine depending on which alloy you use.

Quote Originally Posted by Stick_man View Post
    I am interested, depending on timing of the run
    The cherry was being cut the last I heard. This will be an individual order type of thing.

I like the large lube groove 45 2.1. The Eagan MX3-30AR has one like that. When I seat to touch the lands in my Krag, the lube groove is at the mouth of the case. I believe most of the lube is blown forward of the bullet upon firing. It shoots itty-bitty groups and I think this blown forward lube is one of the reasons it shoots so good. We need to make sure to get the gas check shank small enough to accept Hornady checks without shaving. That's one problem with the Eagan, I had to use Gator-Checks. Nothing wrong with them, I just prefer the crimp-on feature of the Hornady. I've thought of another consideration that 45 2.1 may have already taken into account. If I seat the Eagan out to touch the lands the base of the bullet is above the case/shoulder junction. but when seated to magazine length, it is a tad below. It may very well make little difference, but I'd like to have a bullet that is above the junction so I could compare. The nose of the Eagan is .589" back to the first band, and .242" back to the base. so .831" OAL. The neck of the 6x45 is only .185" long. There would be room in the chamber to leave the first band sticking out of the case when seated to the neck/shoulder junction, but at that point the nose is too long and I'm over magazine length. Magazine length is 2.26". So the longest bullet that will fit, and still have the base at the junction is .685". Math is not my forte, but I think I figured it out right. I'm in either way, just trying to provide food for thought.
    "If people let the government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny."

-Thomas Jefferson

The neck of the 6x45 is only .185" long.
    You might want to check that. I have throat slugs from several rifles now, none are that short. All seem untrimmed and had sufficient room to remain that way. Case necks on all seemed long by 0.015" minimum longer than that with more extruded lead in front to chamber end.
    There would be room in the chamber to leave the first band sticking out of the case when seated to the neck/shoulder junction, but at that point the nose is too long and I'm over magazine length. Magazine length is 2.26". So the longest bullet that will fit, and still have the base at the junction is .685". Math is not my forte, but I think I figured it out right. I'm in either way, just trying to provide food for thought.
    Meplat to front of first band = 0.465", front band to checked base = 0.235" (0.700" OAL ready to load) which fits in AR mag with 0.03" for growth when seated to base of neck (or there abouts).

What is the eta for this? I am really excited about this mold.

Adam

Odd, I'm getting more like .200", measured quickly without my glasses earlier. This on a 1.755" case. And the measurements you provided seem to put me more in the ball park than the Eagan does. There abouts is sometimes just where you need to be. Thanks 45 2.1
    "If people let the government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny."

-Thomas Jefferson

Something for your viewing pleasure.............. and i'm told the Hornady checks are a nice snap fit. Gator checks are crimp on also.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 246-77 GC.JPG  
    Last edited by 45 2.1; 12-13-2010 at 09:45 PM.

So from here, we simply order from BaBore? I see the boolit is up on his page.

-Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by madsenshooter View Post
    So from here, we simply order from BaBore? I see the boolit is up on his page.
    Yes. I've been sent some trial boolits, but there not here yet.

I was looking at his 107gr .247 bullet. 45 2.1 have you tried that heavy of a bullet in an encore pistol? I like to buy multiple designs in one mold block and I am hoping to get those two cut into one block. If not then I may pass on the heavy and just stick with rcbs for my heavy bullet.

Thanks
    Adam

Quote Originally Posted by DragoonDrake View Post
    I was looking at his 107gr .247 bullet. 45 2.1 have you tried that heavy of a bullet in an encore pistol? I like to buy multiple designs in one mold block and I am hoping to get those two cut into one block. If not then I may pass on the heavy and just stick with rcbs for my heavy bullet.

Thanks
    Adam
    Send a PM to Badgeredd. 45 2.1 designed the 107 gr boolit for him. He shoots it in several of his custom T/C Contender bbls. The nose is a bit funky for normal 6mm throats. It may or maynot fit well for you. Edd should be able to let you know.

45 2.1 should have the sample boolits tonite. Hopefully, he can let me know if it fits as planned.

Thanks Babore.

Quote Originally Posted by BABore View Post
    45 2.1 should have the sample boolits tonite. Hopefully, he can let me know if it fits as planned.
    It fits quite well for such a small boolit. BABore did a good job cutting it. Bands were 0.246" and the nose engraved lightly 2/3 of its length, so about 70% of the boolit is bearing. Order up............

It looks like everything is now ready to move forward. No group buy is really needed here. The design is a stock item.

I do have a question for the people that will be ordering this design. Block size and sprue plate hole size. My standard sprue plates have 0.160 diameter pour holes. The GC shank diameter is 0.233. Now, I cast the original samples from a standard 2C mold and normal sprue plate. Once I got the mold up to temperature, I had no problem with fillout or funky sprue cuts. I ladle casted the picture samples with a Rowell 1 lb ladle using 50/50 WW-Pb + a bit of nickel babbit at 725 F. I went like hell to keep the mold hot. No real problems at all. How about concerns from you guys?

Boolit Master
    Personally, I'd like to see a slightly smaller sprue hole, maybe .14? You said you poured in a standard 2 cavity, but if I understand correctly, you cut the 22 mold you have in the next size down block i.e.- 2 in a single, 4 in a 3, 6 in a 4. Could this be cut in the same size/style as the 22 mold? Will be ordering one after Christmas. Thanks, Billy
    Lyman 22596,225107,225353,225438,225415,225450,225646, 225462,228367,244203,245496,245497,245498,245499 RCBS 22-55-SP,22-55-FP,243-95-SP,243-100-FP, NEI 100244GC-#14, 55 224 GC-#4,225 45-#3 PB, NOE 22-055 SP,MX2-243,Saeco 221 & 243, RD TLC225-50-RF,Lee 22 Bator 6c & 2c HP. Love casting small boolits, let me know if you have one that I don't that you would part with!

Quote Originally Posted by BCall View Post
    Personally, I'd like to see a slightly smaller sprue hole, maybe .14? You said you poured in a standard 2 cavity, but if I understand correctly, you cut the 22 mold you have in the next size down block i.e.- 2 in a single, 4 in a 3, 6 in a 4. Could this be cut in the same size/style as the 22 mold? Will be ordering one after Christmas. Thanks, Billy
    It can be and I'm test cutting one right now in fact. Because this booit is longer and bigger than the 226-47, it looks a bit close to the bushing/pin recesses. I'll know more later and post a picture. Cost would be the same in either case. The downside would be the non-standard sprue plates I would have to make and stock. Again, it wouldn't really affect cost, but likely delivery after the inital rush is over.

Here's some pics of a 4 cavity mold cut into my standard 2 cavity blockset. You can see hiw close it is to the alignment pin & bushing recess. The distance is about 0.060" or so. I believe it will be ok. Hope so, I cut two molds like this and one is already spoken for. This is the same way I cut the 22 cal molds. IIRC, the 2 cavity cut into a 1C blockset may have a tad more room. I'll look into that come Monday.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 246-77 GC 4C1.JPG   246-77 GC 4C2.JPG  

Boolit Buddy
    wow, i gotta have one of these.
    i got the 180 grain 308 mold from BRP and it preforms flawlessly.
    Drops beautiful boolits , nice sharp clean edges.
    and i can make 1 raged whole with five shots at 100 yards with them.

what would be is the max' number of cavities for this 243 mould with several of them hollow pointed?
    would it be 5 like the 311-180 or maybe 8 cavities??

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast