Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionWidenersTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLoad Data
Repackbox

Thread: can I swage with this press

Boolit Buddy

can I swage with this press

Is this press robust enough to use in swaging bullets? I plan on swaging 44mag and 223 from 22lr. I would really like to break in to this type of bullet construction and have been reading quite a bit about it. I cant afford a nice Corbin press and the sweet set-up so I am trying to get going on some swaging projects with what I have.
    Mike

Boolit Buddy
    I have used these presses - it is identical to those marketed by Herters years ago. Very solid. I have been with fellow reloaders who did swage half jacket pistol bullets with them. Not sure I ever personally saw rifle jacketed bullets swaged on a C press.

I am wanting get into making 224 bullets from .22 rf cases. I'm told those will take more leverage and rigidity. The big problem I am finding is simply getting my hands on dies.

Myself... I do have a Corbin S press, BUT I keep my old Super C Model 3 for regular reloading - more work with less stroke.
    Last edited by BwBrown; 11-16-2010 at 01:11 AM.

Looks identical to my Grandpa's Herters.

Boolit Master

Not the best, an "O" frame is better. I think BT Sniper has busted a few of those.

Moderator Emeritus

First, When using a reloading press for swaging, you are limited to swage dies that are threaded the same as a reloading die. I am not aware of any commercially available for 22LR to .224
    I know many members have made there own.

regarding the press, I think the Frame is strong enough.
    I've owned 2 Herters and 1 RF Wells presses like yours.
    I think you won't have near enough mechanical advantage with this design for most swagging work...BUT, copper Half jackets with soft lead cores would be no problem.
    Good luck finding economically priced half jackets !

Another kink you will run into is the ram, those either need a threaded shell holder/base punch or a notched one...Doesn't really matter which yours takes, either way, you will need to have custom made Base punches or you'll need to modify the Ram or replace it with a custom made one.

If you're a Machinist or an aspiring Machinist with access to equipment, all this is not big deal. But then I'd suspect you could just build a swaging press too and put that "C" press into storage
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    First, When using a reloading press for swaging, you are limited to swage dies that are threaded the same as a reloading die. I am not aware of any commercially available for 22LR to .224
    I know many members have made there own.
    Dave Corbin makes 7/8-14'' reloading press dies for the 22LR to 223, I have a set. I believe other die makers like Richard Corbin and Larry Blackmon do also.

Moderator Emeritus

oh...Good to know
    Jon
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

I have a Corbin .357 die that is threaded for 7/8x14, plus several C-H dies, all of which are intended to be used on loading presses.

Hope this helps.

Fred

Banned
    Yes, it will. I used one of those for doing 10mm with a BTsniper dieset. Add 6'' to the handle, and go to town.

Boolit Buddy
    I have a Corbin press that uses the 7/8 -14 dies. I used it to swage .577 Enfield Minies. What I found is that while the Corbin press had enough "leverage" to swage the big bullets out of soft lead, the die did not have enough "meat" to survive long term.

HAVE YOU EVER HAD A DIE CRACK WHEN YOU ARE SWAGING?

IT SOUNDS LIKE A RIFLE SHOT!

(Even more FUN-parts of the die fly in miscellaneous directions. One piece of that die that cracked ALMOST punched through the tin roof of my shed!) Fortunately, the shrapnel from that die missed me!

Needless to say, that die had to be scrapped.

Regardless, I would recommend AGAINST using a "C" frame press for swaging. It is best to use an "O" frame if for nothing else because a "C" frame press can be "sprung" by the application of too much force (as can happen when you are swaging!)

Keep in mind when you are swaging lead-that die has some very high pressures built up in it!

I was wondering the same thing too. I have the same press and was hanging on to it for the same potential.
    Unless a RockChucker comes my way.