RotoMetals2Inline FabricationReloading EverythingWideners
Load DataTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Snyders Jerky Lee Precision

Thread: Need advice on primer pocket swaging

Boolit Buddy

Need advice on primer pocket swaging

Howdy Fella's,
    I need a big favor, in all the years I have been reloading I have never messed with crimped primer pockets the ones that have slipped into some of my brass I have allways used a beburing tool and iopened the pocket enough to get them primed. I just got threw building a Target AR 223/556 budget rifle and since I have had a set of 223 dies for 25 years I decided to hand load for this rifle.
    I know that swaging pertains to making jacketed bullets and i hope it is okay to post here??
    I know they make a bench mount tool but for the life of me I can't locate one
    Here is a thought (don't have very many of those anymore) The only Single stage press I have left is a Herters Super O, what I was wondering is: Can I take a deburing pilot put it in my lathe and turn it down to the proper primer pocket size then take the primer cup of and put the pilot in its place and use it to swage the pockets.
    I am open for any and all advice, you guys have allways been great to me and I hope some has advice for me.
    Thanks
    G

Boolit Buddy
    RCBS makes a tool to mount in a press for swaging the primer pockets.

Dillon makes a bench mount tool to do the job too.

Or you can just chamfer the crimp away as many have done for decades.

To swage the pocket it is necessary to push on the inside of the case head to force the pocket onto the mandrel for swaging. You can't hold the case by the rim and swage as if you are priming, it will bend the rim.

In addition to using a rod to push down on the inside of the case, there also has to be a way to push the swaged case off the mandrel. It will be stuck on there and you can't just wiggle it off, or you'll elongate the primer pocket.

Either use a small chamfer tool or purchase one of the Dillon Super Swage tools.

Hope this helps.

Fred

Boolit Buddy
    Hey Guys,
    I don't think that you all read what my post said. if the primer arm is stronge enough to prime the case what I was asking is do you think it would be strong enough to open up the primer pocket?
    Later
    G

I've always just used a M.A.Ford chatterless 6-flute countersink tool in a cordless drill to chamfer them out. It's always worked well for me. If you are doing more than a few hundred, I'd probably think about going to one of the dedicated tools though.
    “an armed society is a polite society.”
    Robert A. Heinlein

"Idque apud imperitos humanitas vocabatur, cum pars servitutis esset."
    Publius Tacitus

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by gcollins View Post
    Hey Guys,
    I don't think that you all read what my post said. if the primer arm is stronge enough to prime the case what I was asking is do you think it would be strong enough to open up the primer pocket?
    Later
    G
    No, you will break your primer arm if you are wanting modify it to use it to swage out military crimps.

The RCBS primer pocket swager consists of five partsL: Two pocket swagers, one large and one small. One sleeve that fits over the ram. A Die Body that holds the anvil.

You put the pocket swage in the slot where the shell holder goes and slip the sleeve over it. The pocket swage will protrude through the hole in the top of the sleeve.

Screw the die body into the press and adjust the anvil to clear the case as you push the case into the die. Then turn the threaded shaft of the anvil until it touches the inside of the case. Back off or lowere the ram a bit and turn the anvil a quarter turn at a time until the pocket swager bottoms out in the primer pocket. Set the die's locking ring and you are set up to swage the rest of your brass. As the ram is lowered the sleeve will contct the press body and as yow swing the arm to its full upright position, the sleeve will pop the case off the primer pocket swage.
    Listen! Do you hear it. The roar of cannons, the screams of the dying! Ahh! Music to my ears!

Boolit Master
    Swaging a pocket take considerably more effort that inserting a primer. Go with the RCBS tool or the Dillon super swage, I have both and can't determine which one is better. The dillon is a stand alone unit while the RCBS requires a press.
    Paul G.
    Once I was young, now I am old and in between went by way to fast.

The end move in politics is always to pick up a gun.
    -- R. Buckminster Fuller

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks guys for all the advice, I think I will try and buy processed brass would be a lot better and I wont have to worry about lubing and sizing and so I will use one of my Dillon's to load them.
    Thanks again.
    G