Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
WidenersRotoMetals2RepackboxSnyders Jerky
Load Data Reloading Everything
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: New Mold Design/BIG BOOLIT!!

Boolit Master

parot rifle

Earlier this evening I expplained to a new guy how I use a four pound pot for all of my casting. I told him that with this hobby you can go as small or as big as you like. I guess I didn't lie.

Talking RE: Parot Rifle

Have you ever tried zinc instead of lead?

Here in Wet-stern Washington we do a lot of boating and
    we use a lot of zinc anodes. One of the guys I used to shoot
    with cast zinc balls and there appeared to be quire a difference
    in velocity. His shots would cut clean holes in the targets, where
    as my lead balls would leave a ring around the holes.
    Besides the zinc was free

Jack...

Boolit Buddy
    We use zinc diecast alloy to make the full size boolits for the long range shooting. If there was a reasonably easy way to cast a zinc projectile with three lugs on it that would meet weight requirements for the N-SSA , we'd try it. Just a hassle to work with zinc. Need another huge pot and handling implements, iron mold a must due to higher casting heat required. Easier to do machined aluminum projectiles, but then substantially increased costs for materials.
    John Wells in PA

Peabody's and Peabody-Martini's wanted
    Also shoot a 10-PDR Parrott Rifle in competition

Have you looked into having the projectiles cast by a foundry in grey iron? If the batch was large enough the price shouldn't be too bad, especially if you could supply the casting models yourself. The projectiles could then be machined in a lathe to fit the lands of the barrel and a groove or step would be cut near the base. A driving band, cast from lead or zinc, could then be crimped in on - or perhaps cast directly on the shell, using a special mold.

Just for grin you could drill a small hole in the base and fill it with hard stamped scrapings from star sparklers. This should add a nice tracer-effect (and maybe a grassfire as well)
    Cap'n Morgan

Boolit Buddy
    N-SSA competition rules demand non-ferrous projectiles. That's why competitors are always designing new things made from lead, aluminum, and zinc. There are a couple well-heeled shooters using machined aluminum Hotchkiss rounds with a lead band around the center. The usually shoot well with the reduced loads we're forced to use for N-SSA shooting, but they're about $60 a piece. Machined aluminum with lugs at the rear for a mechanical fit also work well. Also quite costly.

I like the idea of shooting something I designed and cast myself.
    John Wells in PA

N-SSA competition rules demand non-ferrous projectiles.
    Bummer! Any good reasons for that rule?

My dad use to sail DN iceboat races. The rules called for the boat to be made from wood only. No fiberglass or aluminum. This well-meant idea was to keep the costs down so even those on a tight budget could participate. Well, dad and the other enthusiasts build their boat from exotic, lightweight African wood, much more expensive than fiberglass. Go figure...
    Cap'n Morgan

Boolit Master
    Who's in for a GB on the boolit mold??? And can you inagine a multicavity mold????

Some serious R&D has gone on just to create what you have accomplished already. Thanks for sharing your efforts and results. And I think my 50-70 uses a lot of lead!
    Knowledge I take to my grave is wasted.

I prefer to use cartridges born before I was.

Success doesn't make me happy, being happy is what allows me to be successful.

Hey, if we can get a muzzle brake that will cut the kick down to the same level as the 458 Win Mag, I want one in a hand held shoulder fired rifle. LOL

Michael Grace

Boolit Master
    Un-believable. I am a transplant from back east. Looks like you and I are neighbors. I sure would love to see that gun in action, if you have any plans to fire it locally.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Boolit Master

I have a buddy that fashioned a canon out of some boiler pipe tubing, we work at a power plant and have an endless supply. Anyhow I used some of the zinc WW's I have sorted aside and poured that into a cannon ball mold at 12 oz a pop. He likes the zinc way better than lead because he can shoot them again, even after shooting them threw cars!! Plus, I couldn't think of a better way to use the zinc WW's than in a cannon.
    "The right of the people to keep and bear...arms shall not be infringed. A well regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the best and most natural defense of a free country..." (James Madison, I Annals of Congress 434 [June 8, 1789])

Once the people find they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic.
    Benjamin Franklin

Boolit Grand Master

Would sure like to shoot that gun!
    1Shirt!
    "Common Sense Is An Uncommon Virtue" Ben Franklin

"Ve got too soon old and too late smart" Pa.Dutch Saying

Boolit Buddy
    N-SSA National Matches are held at the Fort Shenandoah national range just north of Winchester VA. The artillery match is always Saturday all afternoon. 3rd weekend in May and first weekend in October. This is 200 yard target matches with reduced loads. http://n-ssa.org/index.php for more info.

Once a year we go to a military base in northern Michigan (Camp Grayling) and shoot full military loads at targets 3/4 mile distant (1200 yards. This match is *usually* (pending Army scheduling) the last weekend in July. See here http://museumandcollector.com/index....d=48&Itemid=57 for more info.

Here we are at Grayling a couple years ago. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EL13quhcUMw
    John Wells in PA

Ever try a design similar to the Crosman Premier? They are very popular and accurate pellets.

Boolit Master
    I've said this on many different forums but the inventiveness and abilities here on this forum simply amaze me. This coming from a guy that needs a straight edge guide to cut a straight line on a piece of wood. Way to go. If anyone asks what they are just tell them they are suppositories that'll get their attention. Frank

Banned

I am 20 miles south of you John, down in Bedford, I would like to volunteer my services to help cast a batch just for the experience! That just blows my mind!

Boolit Buddy
    You're more than welcome to join in the fun!! (Tom Sawyer here... )
    John Wells in PA

Boolit Buddy

Awwwwwwwwsome big boooooolit
    WARNING
    TRESPASSERS
    WILL BE SHOT
    SURVIVORS
    WILL BE SHOT AGAIN
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by John in PA View Post
    You're more than welcome to join in the fun!! (Tom Sawyer here... )
    Shoot me a pm the next time you are going to cast those monsters, I would love to help!

Boolit Master
    What do you use to tumble lube those things??? A cement mixer? LOL seriously though if you ever want to sell an unfired one I would like to get in line to buy it. That would look great on my loading bench!!!

Boolit Master

You upscaled an airgun pellet. . .

I'm pretty sure Ralphie would trade in his Red Ryder for your approach.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast