RepackboxTitan ReloadingInline FabricationLee Precision
Snyders JerkyWidenersRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Quite impressed with super glue

Boolit Master
    Ohio- Painesville and Cleveland and Port Clinton.

Quite impressed with super glue

I have a 7mm mold but no sizer. The 7mm I have (Mauser) has a bit of an oversized bore, so I figured I'd shoot 'as is'. But how to apply gas checks?

I had done this before but never extensively... I superglued them on. Then a double tumble in LLA.

Going down range to change targets I looked around on the hillside and found a few of my fired bullets. You know, the gas checks uniformly stayed in place even through firing and impacting the hillside? Noses were mushroomed or sheared off from impact, but the gas check was still there!

Banned

I always wondered how well that worked. I've used it to retain crankshaft and rod bearings before.

Gear

Superglue is THE trick for anchoring shot capsules in place in revolver loads. Crimping cuts or cracks the plastic, which can result in a pocket full of shot. Just spread a single drop around the case mouth with a toothpick and that capsule will not move in recoil.

Boolit Master

I've super glued GCs on .22 Hornet cast and that seemed to eliminate flyers....which I attribute to GCs coming off in flight./beagle
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....

You know you guys just came up with another answer to shooting plain based boolits. Glue the check on backwards!! Near perfect for gas cutting. I've done it with big slugs in the 45-70 years ago as a joke, but it worked. Your still going to be limited velocity wise to whatever your alloy can hold up to, and only testing will determine how high that is.
    N.R.A. Life Member

Boolit Master
    geargnasher
    I have to ask. Why and where are you using super glue on engine bearings? If you have to glue the bearing shell in place, you have some serious out of spec issues.

Boolit Master
    Geargnasher,

Not to mention heat dissipation problems. Shouldn't be anything between the bearing shell and the block or rod.

TH
    Ineptocracy (in-ep-toc'-ra-cy) -

A system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.

Boolit Master

Been supergluen the old style noncrimp Lyman 41 GC's to 410610 sence forever, seems like
    Calamity Jake

NRA Life Member
    SASS 15704
    Shoot straight, keepem in the ten ring.

Black Powder 100%

Livingston, La. 20 miles east of Baton Rouge, La.
    This is a little off but I think a lot of our members do other things besides cast bullets. While fishing in the Gulf of Mexico with my wife I cut myself with the bait knife as a wave hit my boat on the port side. It was not only long but deep. My wife was upset and said we have to go back in to the hospital. I looked in my bait box and there was my bottle of super glue used for bait repair. I cleaned the wound and while holding it closed my wife applied the super glue. I had a great fishing day with no problems from the wound. We started to use it for all cuts with the same results. When at the hospital I told a RN about what I did with it and she said that a lot of doctors are now using it instead of the old stich it up method. So put some in your med kits men.
    Shooter of the "HOLY BLACK" SASS 81802 AKA FAIRSHAKE; NRA ; BOLD; WARTHOG;Deadwood Marshal;Bayou Bounty Hunter; So That his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat; 44 WCF filled to the top, 210 gr. bullet

Question

Wasn't cyanoacrylic cement, aka Crazy Glue, developed as a means of closing cuts, incisions, etc.?

Boolit Man
    my wife is a CRNA and she keeps super glue in her med kit at home also. i was sceptical until i saw her use it on a cut last week worked great

Boolit Master

The super glue works great on some wounds. Back almost 10 years ago, my mom cut her head open out in the yard, she bonked it on a hurricane shutter or something like that.

I did some basic first aid and got her bleeding stopped pretty quickly. She still wanted to go to the ER for stitches. I told her that we'd be waiting for hours, at the absolute bottom of the priority list because she wasn't bleeding, and they were just going to use dermabond aka super glue to close it anyway. I told her I could do just as well but she didn't believe me.

She wasn't happy at all when all of my predictions were spot on.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Supe Glue

Last time I took a litter of Boxer pups in for tail docking, I watched as they cut the tails and then glued the ends shut. Same thing for the dew claws. Afterwards I asked what they had used to close the wounds, and they said that it was surgical glue aka Super Glue. I now use it for all minor cuts. I wouldn't be without it.
    There is some ammo and more ammo. There is never enough ammo!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by geargnasher View Post
    I always wondered how well that worked. I've used it to retain crankshaft and rod bearings before.

Gear
    I believe that would be MAIN and ROD bearings, they both run on the crankshaft. I don't think this would be a good practice though. Kinda like the old chicken nuggets commercial, "parts is parts" Now I have used it to keep the extractor in a 721 Remington, it worked, for about 50 rounds. Super glue is wonderful on my hands for those winter cracks that appear on tumb joints though!
    Charter Member #148

ADMIN

Quote Originally Posted by AaronJ View Post
    my wife is a CRNA and she keeps super glue in her med kit at home also. i was sceptical until i saw her use it on a cut last week worked great
    my wife is a CRNA also.
    The stuff they use is called "durabond" but its the stuff stuff as superglue

Boolit Buddy
    It is dermabond. Very similar to superglue, but is more flexible, and I believe is purer (normal cyanoacrylate do contain some free cyanide). It can be found in some supermarkets/drugstores. I use it to patch up my Vizsla after running into some barbwire fencing. It stays in my hiking first aid kit. Works great.

ADMIN

yeah, dermabond.. LOL my memory isn't what it used to be. I have 4 capsules of it in my first aid kit.

Boolit Master
    You mean the heat of combustion did not melt or incinerate the glue? If powder gases are so hot they "vaporize" lead bullets how does it survive in a gun barrel.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by georgewxxx View Post
    You know you guys just came up with another answer to shooting plain based boolits. Glue the check on backwards!! Near perfect for gas cutting. I've done it with big slugs in the 45-70 years ago as a joke, but it worked. Your still going to be limited velocity wise to whatever your alloy can hold up to, and only testing will determine how high that is.
    Why waist a GC punch out some coke cans and glue to the bottom of PB boolits, lot cheaper than GC's
    Frank G.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Maven View Post
    Wasn't cyanoacrylic cement, aka Crazy Glue, developed as a means of closing cuts, incisions, etc.?
    For the Vietnam War I think!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast