Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyLoad DataRepackbox
WidenersInline FabricationLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Spanish Mauser

Boolit Grand Master
    A fellow shooter recently acquired a 1908 Brazilian mauser. I spooted while he tried getting it on paper. Finally did. It patterns at 100 yards, and at 200 yards it is blind luck to get it on paper. It'll get a new barrel this winter.

SHiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Buddy
    I like looking at these old posts. You can learn a lot. I now feel the $50 I spent yesterday for one that's not to ruff. I
    I will shoot noting but moderate cast loads in it. I'll try to make it shoot well. Some of these surplus rifles will really surprise you. Some really disapoint.
    TF

Up Date:

After getting home Saturday with my new to me 93 carbine ($50) I realized the safety is stuck on "Fire". I took the bolt apart cleaned well and the safety is still stuck. The safety lever is badly worn and I hope it's not the result of some other problem. The rifle is in pretty good shape other than that. Safety lever ordered and on it's way. Spent two hours scrubbing the bore and it looks great. I have ammo loaded with 14 grains of 2400 and a RCBS 168 grain bullet that shoots great in my 1908 Brazilian.
    If the weather holds up I'll shoot it Wednesday.
    Fingers crossed.
    TF
    Last edited by tacofrank; 11-07-2022 at 12:44 PM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tacofrank View Post
    I like looking at these old posts. You can learn a lot. I now feel the $50 I spent yesterday for one that's not to ruff. I
    I will shoot noting but moderate cast loads in it. I'll try to make it shoot well. Some of these surplus rifles will really surprise you. Some really disapoint.
    TF
    But only need to screw on a different barrel to be Happy again!!

I recently bought a 1922 Oviedo 7x57mm and it shoots horribly( 16" three shot group at 40yds). It has a good action, though.
    That's good, because that's what I paid $100 for- the action. The rest of the rifle came with it....

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    I recently bought a 1922 Oviedo 7x57mm and it shoots horribly( 16" three shot group at 40yds). It has a good action, though.
    That's good, because that's what I paid $100 for- the action. The rest of the rifle came with it....

I may have a 7mm Barrel that looks OK inside...If you want to keep it close to As Issued.. (actually if Oviedo, Refurbished)

Thanks racepres, but I have 3 barrels that can be reworked and chambered for the small ring action. I'm thinking that a lightweight. 257 Roberts or 7x57mm would be nice.

Boolit Master
    The 257 Roberts that I built on a 1893 action was one of the flattest shooting low recoil rifles that I had ever built.
    I still have two 257 barrels in my stockpile.
    I am tempted to put one on a Yugo 24/47 action since it is shorter like the Spanish Small Ring actions.
    But that Spanish was excellent

Boolit Master
    I reckon I am odd man out, but years ago I bought Spanish Model 43 Mauser in 7.62 Nato. It has a regular large ring 98 Mauser action and is also known as the Mauser standard model. It was sold to Spain in 1943 in 7mm I believe, and then later Spain re-barreled it to 7.62 Nato. Anyhow after much customizing it turned out to be my favorite deer rifle.
    Britons shall never be slaves.

Boolit Master
    Not too long ago I picked up a rust bucket 1908 Brazilian action and cleaned it up. I put a "new/old stock" 1909 Argentine barrel in 7.65x53 on it. I had a cheap '98 Mauser stock hanging around, a cheap scope, and a ten year old Bold trigger still in the package. I threw it all together and was then amazed when it would shoot 10 shot groups of about 3/4" at 50 yards. Then there were other times when I would spend over a year pouring my heart into building a Mauser sporter, and even though it would look amazing, it would only shoot a 6" or larger group at 100 yards. Sometimes rifles can be like dogs: the best ones can be a mutt.

Boolit Master

These early Mausers can be quickly and easily made into very nice sporters and many amateur gunsmiths cut their teeth on them. One thing is their pressure limitations. Most experts agree that 45,000 pounds is tops and for the Spanish made ones in a more used condition 43,000 might be a safer figure.
    Facta non verba

Boolit Master
    With the Spanish Small Rings that I did.
    When I went to sell them.
    The only complaint people had was the Cock On Closing design.
    But I don't see that that effects anything.

Quote Originally Posted by LAGS View Post
    With the Spanish Small Rings that I did.
    When I went to sell them.
    The only complaint people had was the Cock On Closing design.
    But I don't see that that effects anything.
    A friend commented on that on a hunt when he was looking at my 1916. I Said “will your Savage do this?” I chambered a round in a safe direction, then slapped the bolt open and the cartridge jumped out when the bolt sprung backwards. The look on his face was priceless.
    1917, P14, all the Lee Enfield, 91 through 96 Mauser, and Arisaka all have that supposed affliction. I’m good with all of them.
    JoeJames, I have one of those LaCorona 98 actions in the drawer waiting on d&t and barreling. It looks like a good 98 action to me.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12