RotoMetals2Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Snyders JerkyWidenersLee PrecisionLoad Data
Titan Reloading Reloading Everything
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 30-30 and sized OO

Boolit Master

Alright! I found my bag of Kapok! I took an old life jacket apart a couple years ago and put the kapok in a bag, figuring I'll use it some day.
    I'm going to start with some fast pistol powder and plan on using filler right away. Range report will follow. Wishing I didn't shoot my chronograph now.

Boolit Master
    1.5gr bullseye, pistol primer, winchester case, and sized 00 buck. 4 rounds touching at 30 yards. No filler needed, apparently.
    I came into this world kicking, screaming, and covered in someone elses blood. I plan to go out the same way.

As I said above, simple is best. Way to go, 101.

Boolit Master

Well, you all made sit back and think about this.
    One of the reasons I make these are, I take my boy and sometimes a couple new shooters with me to the range. I go over the rules of the range/shooting/safety and turn them loose on their own shooting bench with a hundred to two hundred of these mouse loads. I hate to ruin a new shooter with heavy recoil and noise so these light bullets work great.
    Well, I don't have the time to load a bunch of rounds with filler and we're not shooting any competition.
    So simple is good, real good.

Banned

If they work well without filler and an extra dollop of lube all the better. I was only suggesting it because it can act as a lube swab and gas check with ultra-light loads, and I figured your super-soft b.s. with not much bearing surface and no lube groove needed all the help it could get to seal the bore and keep leading down.

Gear

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by x101airborne View Post
    1.5gr bullseye, pistol primer, winchester case, and sized 00 buck. 4 rounds touching at 30 yards. No filler needed, apparently.
    Why use pistol primer instead of rifle? I'm seen it done before, just curious. Thanks

I just read an article in an old NRA Illustrated RELOADING HANDBOOK (1960?)
    very interesting

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dannix View Post
    Why use pistol primer instead of rifle? I'm seen it done before, just curious. Thanks
    Well, im not sure...... just one of those things i tried and it worked. i read on here of people often using pistol primers with pistol powders and tried it. i think it was gearnasher possibly who explained that loads under 40,000 cup may respond well to pistol primer substitution. well, that seems like a majority of my cast loads.

dang i love this buckshot thing.....

45nut..... is this still goin sticky?
    I came into this world kicking, screaming, and covered in someone elses blood. I plan to go out the same way.

Boolit Master
    I'm calculating a single 00 buck pellet at about 4.5 cents a pop, albeit that's based on a 5lb Hornady bag on Midway. Anyone else crunched the numbers?

Boolit Master
    Well, no i havent. I just use the buckshot that I carry all year on my boat, so the cost is negligable and excusable for me.

Dannix, if you want to cut the cost a little more, Lee has an 18 cavity buckshot mold for $62 (#90486) http://www.leeprecision.com/cgi/cata...w.html#shotgun
    There's some discussion in this thread: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=99709
    Oh, the pistol primers CAN give a little better accuracy in some loads. Apparently due to more moderate powder ignition. It's yet another one of those things that you can play with.
    Rick

Boolit Master
    Thanks Hornet. I'll pick up a box of pistol primers to tinker with then. I'm actually thinking about picking up BRP's 32ACP mold -- both for my 32ACP and for 30-30 plinking loads. Unfortunately I'm not in a situation where I can cast right now, so that's on hold. Hopefully budget will allow me to get in on the .30 cal "soup can" GB, and pick up a 110/130 grain mold for the 30-30.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123