MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRepackboxSnyders Jerky
Reloading EverythingLoad DataInline FabricationLee Precision
RotoMetals2 Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wow, $297!

Boolit Buddy

Wow, $297!

Was watching this one, but way too much for me!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...253D&viewitem=

Yeah, but it only had $5 shipping!!!

Boolit Master
    I seriously don't get people on ebay.You can buy a brand new HP mold for less than that. Pat

Boolit Master
    Somebody wanted this bad!!!

Someone somewhere thinks this is worth the money.

God Bless them that they have it to spend!

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    I think that is the only forty-four hollow base mold I've ever seen . Maybe the guys a collector and having one modified to that just wouldn't do . We all know it's pretty unlikely that Lyman would make any more for the customers out there .

Jack
    Last edited by Jack Stanley; 11-01-2010 at 09:59 PM. Reason: punctuation

In Remebrance

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyMetal View Post
    Somebody wanted this bad!!!

Someone somewhere thinks this is worth the money.

God Bless them that they have it to spend!
    That or the seller had a proxy bidder boosting the price for him.

I was shocked by that one as well. For 300 bucks I could have a couple of custom molds made and feel much more secure about whether or not they will drop a bullet that is useable. I guess that is the practical side of me since I don't quite understand the need of the collector to buy molds and not use them.

I could swear I saw one of the same molds go for around 55 bucks a few months back.

Boolit Grand Master
    This is no more ridiculous than a S&W or Colt collector spending a zillion dollars on some desirable revolver or autopistol--then staring at it in a display case or sealing it up in a safe. Bizarre.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Master

I don't know much about it, but I think the "Hollow Base" is the part that caused the price to go so high...

I think I would like to try a few boolits from it, but I wouldn't spend that much money...

I guess the uniqueness of it demanded the price?...

BCB

Boolit Grand Master
    Unbelievable.

I should not be astounded anymore about e-bay, but I am. What mtmman 31 said, one could get a couple of custom molds made for that.

SHiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Master

That's a ridiculous price no matter what. I have a couple of 429422s and they just don't shoot that great. Maybe it's the nostalgia of owning a hard to find Keith design. But, if you got deep pockets and want one, why not./beagle
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 9.3X62AL View Post
    This is no more ridiculous than a S&W or Colt collector spending a zillion dollars on some desirable revolver or autopistol--then staring at it in a display case or sealing it up in a safe. Bizarre.
    I've never understood that either.But I can't complain about ebay,for me it has been the single best thing once I started to cast as casting is not that big here.I have bought some real bargains,one a week ago. Pat

Boolit Master

Yeah, but it's an Ideal mold - not Lyman - and that makes it more desirable to a collector. Sure, one could but a couple of new custom dies for that money - but I'm looking at a 1959 Jag coupe that would cost more than a new Buick...
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U
    One of the most endearing sights in the world is the vision of a naked good-looking woman leaving the bedroom to make breakfast. Bolivar Shagnasty (I believe that Lazarus Long also said it, but I can't find any record of it.)

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Echo View Post
    Yeah, but it's an Ideal mold - not Lyman - and that makes it more desirable to a collector. Sure, one could but a couple of new custom dies for that money - but I'm looking at a 1959 Jag coupe that would cost more than a new Buick...
    If you went with the Buick, how many custom molds could you buy with the difference?

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Black Powder 100%

Livingston, La. 20 miles east of Baton Rouge, La.
    I have refused to buy anything from e-bay. The bidding is rigged on so many auctions. You bid on a shooting product and here comes first time bidders raising your every bid. If you stop bidding which I do they bid against each other until the price is the same as new then you add shipping.
    Shooter of the "HOLY BLACK" SASS 81802 AKA FAIRSHAKE; NRA ; BOLD; WARTHOG;Deadwood Marshal;Bayou Bounty Hunter; So That his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat; 44 WCF filled to the top, 210 gr. bullet

Boolit Grand Master

Well, the only way it would be worth $297 to me would be if Elmer himself had Ideal make it and he used this mold himself! But in my limited knowledge a hollow base at .44 magnum velocities/pressures would prolly lead to some problems...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

I know there's a guy at work that set up a new fleabay account on his work station just to bid things up!

Boolit Master
    Still someone paid $ for that mold. I wish I was born rich instead of so darn good lookin! LOL
    NRA LIFER .. "THE CAST BULLET HANDLOADER IS THE ONLY ONE THAT REALLY MAKES ANY OF HIS AMMUNITION. OTHERS MEARLY ASSEMBLE IT". -E.H. HARRISON

----------------------
    "Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
    Thomas Jefferson
    ------
    "Government is not a solution to our problem, government is the problem."
    -- Ronald Reagan

Boolit Grand Master

Rare old design with some history to the design. Kinda like the prices you are seeing for
    M1 carbines. Turned one down years ago for $17, can't quite figure what I would do with
    one now for $800. BUT, some folks like them a lot and are willing to pay that price.

Same for that rare old mold.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Master
    I wish more people hated ebay,I'd get even more bargains. Pat