Lee PrecisionWidenersInline FabricationRepackbox
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataReloading Everything
Snyders Jerky Titan Reloading

Thread: 7.62x39 Revisited

7.62x39 Revisited

Well I really enjoy re-reading the excellent cast article by Harris on this cartridge. The problem I have is I'm shooting it out of a Ruger Mini-30 and not an SKS. I've gone up to 15.5 gr. of 2400 and it still will not cycle the action. He suggests 1 grain more than what cycles the action on an SKS but I'm afraid to go up in charge any more than this. Time to try more quantity of a slower powder I suppose. Anyone have a suggestion of where to start with 3031 or BL-C(2)?
    Airplanes and guns should always be made out of metal.

Boolit Grand Master

Greetings
    Do you have any 1680 ? I have found it is a very good powder for that fine medium size case.
    "Behold The Lamb of God that taketh away the sin of the world". John 1:29
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

What weight cast boolit? I use IMR 4198 and 4895 with little success.
    Last edited by hicard; 11-22-2010 at 03:35 PM.
    This country has gone to hell but now there is hope for us.

Boolit Master

I'm not familiar with the Ruger; is is a gas-impingement system, or a -piston? Would trying H322 or H335 help? I use 1.5cc of H335 behind a Lee 160-R in my Yugo SKS. Could you use that as a starting point? Just trying to help.
    Lead Forever!

The 2nd amendment was never intended to allow private citizens to 'keep and bear arms.' If it had, there would have been wording such as 'the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. -Ken Konecki, July 27, 1992

John Galt was here.

"Politics is the art of postponing an answer until it is no longer relevant". (From the movie 'Red Tails')

It is a gas piston system. Seems to be a lot of cast bullet loads with 4895, so maybe Ill have to pick some up. I have both the Lee bullets , the TL160 and the standard lube groove 155 which I think I like better.

ive used accurate 5744 to good results as far as acurracy , but get a godawful amount of leading... would like to know what i can use to clean the lead from the gas ports... also would fireing a few jacketted bullets down the barrel every mag full help?

Boolit Master

I get bad lead build-up in the gas valve. Takes a bit of work to get it out. May try 4895 myself, and see how it does. I don't know about j-words.
    Lead Forever!

The 2nd amendment was never intended to allow private citizens to 'keep and bear arms.' If it had, there would have been wording such as 'the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. -Ken Konecki, July 27, 1992

John Galt was here.

"Politics is the art of postponing an answer until it is no longer relevant". (From the movie 'Red Tails')

I found if you apply ggrease to the top of the piston any lead build up there is significantly easier to remove.

To the original poster try H335. I use a surplus powder that we get up here called WC735 which is close to H335 (said to be 5% faster) and it works the action of my SKS. I found 26 gr of WC735 under the Lee 312-155 bullet very accurate and it cycled the action. You might want to try 26- 28 grains of H335 under that bullet. 17 gr of 4227 under the same bullet also worked well in my SKS and cycled the action. I have to say the WC735 load worked better than 4227.

Take Care

Bob
    Its been months since I bought the book, "How to scam people online". It still has not arrived yet!

"If the human population held hands around the equator, a significant portion of them would drown"

Boolit Bub
    I couldn't get the action to cycle in one of my Russian SKS's with 16.0 gr. of 2400 behind the Lee 160 gr TL with GC even though 15.5 gr. of 2400 cycled my other Russian with no problem. I tried 18 gr. of Reloader 7 behind the same bullet. It cycles both guns reliably and shoots very accurately.

Boolit Master

I think it's funny that the OP asks about a Ruger, and we respond with SKS solutions! Bunch of help we are. Anyway, Troy, don't give up; someone helpful will be along, shortly.
    Lead Forever!

John Galt was here.

Boolit Master
    I use H322 24 grain with Lee 160g.Mainly since i have a fair amount of it and I only have a 45/70 that uses it.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunnerd View Post
    I think it's funny that the OP asks about a Ruger, and we respond with SKS solutions! Bunch of help we are. Anyway, Troy, don't give up; someone helpful will be along, shortly.
    LOL- Well this is the CB Loads / Military Rifle section... I think some of the SKS solutions may work for the Ruger too. At least the OP has got some different powder recommendations to try.

Yep, plenty of things to try and not enough time.