Reloading EverythingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Load DataLee PrecisionWidenersRepackbox
RotoMetals2 Snyders Jerky
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Lookin' at a Uberti Sharps

Boolit Master

Love this thread. I recently had a windfall, haven’t bought a new gun in a few years so was at a “local” gun store….(45 miles away…) and was looking at a couple of rifles. One, Henry 22 (I love 22…) and a uberti 1874 45-70. Was undecided.

My wife of over 40 years told me I should….Just buy BOTH…..GOD I love that girl, I did. Both are as smooth as butter and I can’t wait to fire up the lead pot.

Did I mention I love her!
    Last edited by Tazman1602; 12-04-2021 at 07:55 PM.
    ”Only accurate rifles are interesting”
    ——Townsend Whelen

In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act
    —- George Orwell

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    rvpilot76, as others have mentioned here, a vernier sight is what you want. I own a couple Pedersolis with tang sights, and neither is a vernier sight. They are the "cheap" Pedersoli sights, part of the reason I got as good a price as I did. A good vernier sight is like a fine Scotch: A beauty to behold with a price that will take your breath away" But it's worth it. My sights have marks with some cryptic "25", "50", "75", crap stamped into them. Given time I can probably translate those into some meaningful ranges, but moving from one range to another will always be a PITA.............................................L ee
    Lee
    if you calibrate the Pedersoli staff so you know the value of one complete turn of the adjustment screw (my sharps is 2.3 MOA per turn of the elevation screw) then all you need is a reference mark on the staff (100yard zero for me) and a zero cut into the elevation screw (I made one deep cut and three shallow ones so I have it marked in quarters, each graduation = .57 MOA). There is a bit of math involved - sight radius, threads per inch etc but once its done you never need to bother with the graduations on the staff (iffy at best) just count turns.
    Heres a couple homemade sights, the brass knob one (on a Uberti 76) was built from scratch. Other is my windage cross slide and base, with a Pedersoli staff. Cut the deep notch in the elevation adjustment screw so you can work it by feel - once you get this working you can adjust that rear sight just like Quigley did in the movie and be on paper with the first shot.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pedersoli sight conversion.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	33.8 KB 
ID:	292665Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pedersoli sight slide.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	38.2 KB 
ID:	292666Click image for larger version. 

Name:	soule sight.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	42.6 KB 
ID:	292668

guess there will be a raft of xperts telling how this dont work but it flat out does.
    Last edited by indian joe; 12-05-2021 at 07:48 AM.

Hey, you guy actually have grass down there?? Never saw any grass in Quigley!?!?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by veeman View Post
    Hey, you guy actually have grass down there?? Never saw any grass in Quigley!?!?
    yeah we got grass! we water it twice a week then waste good shootin time mowin it on sunday - old greek mate in town sez we all mad - he spends sunday sittin in the shade drinkin ouzo through a straw - yard is gravel, dont water the grass !

Should see our place right now - just had five inches of rain last week - stuffed the grain harvest (I'm not in that game anymore) - green grass everywhere they didnt poison it - guys bogged left and right - kind of interesting watching it all.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123