Lee PrecisionLoad DataInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders Jerky Repackbox

Thread: New shooter in muzzle loading

New shooter in muzzle loading

I have a question about powders used in muzzle loading rifles. I bought a CVA break open line line rifle. I'm using 100 gr 777 with Precision Rifles extreme elite HP lead bullet with great results. I have read the 777 is hotter than regular BP and you should use 15% less 777 than BP. Is the load I'm using actually 115 gr BP? My rifle is rated for 150 gr so I'm not worried about to much powder but kind of wondering? I'm new to muzzle loading so please forgive if this is a stupid question. Thanks

Boolit Buddy
    They say it is....But, I shoot both and can't tell any difference. I just started using Pyrodex RS in my CVA Optima yesterday because the store was sold out of BP. I' worked up a hunting load of 120 gr. with a cast boolit in a sabot. Someone else will chime in that will be more knowledgable than me.

yes, 777 is 15% stronger then pyrodex rs and goex 2f, I don't like to shot any loads over 100grs. i am not shooting cast boolits yet out of my inlines. j bullets or copper clad conicals. 150grs rating is play with room and an safety zone,
    i ran some test on any new muzzleloader I get, fire an round swab the barrel with either windex or 91% rubbing alcohol. looked at the patch, if I see some unburned powder I know i hit the max of how much powder the rifle can burn, i am always on an tight budget lol.

so my hunting loads are tc 230gr surefire blister pack bullets, 90grs of pyrodex rs. for my knight usak (max power charge of 95grs)
    my win. apex 45cal may be feeding on 70grs of blackhog 209, 275gr hp powerbelt. (max powder charge of 120grs)

Boolit Buddy
    Most inlines have short barrels (24" or so) and can't fully burn anything much over 100 grains of powder anyway. You will know this if you try shooting at night, first with 75 grains and then with 100 grains and see the difference in fire ball. A huge fire ball isn't sending your bullet down range any faster and is probably hurting accuracy.

A modern muzzleloader with any bullet conical or sabot over 250 grains with 70 grains or more powder charge is going to kill a deer out to 150 yards but if you or your gun can't shoot accurately because the charge is too large.....it defeats the idea behind "magnum" charges.
    Lead is the new Gold!

Boolit Master

Good point Jayhem, if it hurts it ain't gonna group.
    Don't buy nuthing you can't take home

Joel 3:10

Cool

It don't hurt and shoots very accurate so I'm staying with it. Thanks for the advise