WidenersRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Snyders JerkyRepackboxInline FabricationLee Precision
Titan Reloading Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: that darn puff of smoke?

Boolit Master

that darn puff of smoke?

OK, besides mainly an irritation, what the heck causes that puff of smoke when you fire a cast loaded cartridge? i loaded some 175gr lee TC 40 cal loads with unique and the boolits were lubed with LLA. i have no leading whatsoever after 50 rounds, but it looks like im shooting BP. Any ideas?
    I came into this world kicking, screaming, and covered in someone elses blood. I plan to go out the same way.

Boolit Master

LLA smokes like a train all by itself.. One of the reasons I don't use it. I lube with Carnuba Red and use Clays and 231 for my 40cal and get little to no smoke. No smoke (noticeable) outside and very little indoors.
    Good, Cheap, Fast: Pick two.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Boolit Master
    LLA on the base of the boolit.

Boolit Master
    ok, anyone have any suggestions as how to keep it off the base? wipe em with alcohol?
    I came into this world kicking, screaming, and covered in someone elses blood. I plan to go out the same way.

Boolit Master
    I hold them sideways and apply a drop to the side. let the drop run around boolit then set them on thier bases to dry. works on non tumble lube designs also.

Boolit Master

Kinda negates the allure of tumble lubing boolits when you have to hand paint each one, doesn't it?
    Good, Cheap, Fast: Pick two.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

a slightly damp rag/towel with mineral spirits , wipe across and set to dry then load , but ...depending upon ur load u may still get a lil smoke

Banned

The stuff also burns in the bore and leaves ash in the barrel. It has a low flash point.
    If the little left on the base of a boolit makes that much smoke it must be 1/2#! It has a nice pleasant aroma too, like sticking your nose in a skunks behind.

Boolit Master
    Thank yall. most helpful. in truth, it is probably on the heavy side. i dont mind the smell, this is only for banging on steel this fall and maybe a little varmint (2 and 4 legged) control. i usually keep a couple thousand practice rounds on hand and realized that im down to my last 50 cal can of loaded rounds. Worked out maybe 900 boolits this morning out of linotype for the glock. Good accuracy, 3"-4" @ 25 yards. plenty good for its purpose. im gonna be ready to take some of my buddies to the po po range and hang em to dry on the dualing trees.

Boolit Master in Heaven's Range
    Alox-based lubes aren't the only ones guilty of smoking. I've had commercial-cast (Meister) bullets with the crayon-blue hard wax lube smoke heavily, also. That might have been due to gas blow-by.

Regards,

Stew
    Last edited by AZ-Stew; 10-28-2010 at 04:17 PM.
    Sig file change:
    "Obi Wan Baloney"
    VOTE 2012! Throw them out! Every last one of them! (Feel free to add this to your sig. Spread the word!)

"...Get a rope." Pace Picante Sauce commercial, ca. 1984

"I (did, on several occasions) swear to support and defend the Constitution of the United States, against ALL enemies, foreign AND domestic, and to bear true faith and allegiance to the same." And when I left, they never asked me to recant.

I always thought it was the residue of all the bull that gets thrown around here. That explains the smell, too! Ha!

Boolit Grand Master
    Unique and LLA causes smoke. Bullseye and LLA causes stinky, acrid smoke.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Banned

unique and lla do team up for extra blue clouds.
    iv'e had 231 and hard lube [magma's] make smoke also.
    and humidity makes it worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Doby45 View Post
    Kinda negates the allure of tumble lubing boolits when you have to hand paint each one, doesn't it?
    Funny! I agree though. I have little smoke issues using CarnRed.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by fredj338 View Post
    Funny! I agree though. I have little smoke issues using CarnRed.
    True, it is a great lube. Seems as if any Alox based lube smokes the worst no matter the brand. I used a lot of it over the years and never seen the allure. There are too many other oils that work better. I have not tried Speed Green yet because I hoard my Bullplate but I do not see it burning. Safflower oil has a very high flash point too. Even peanut oil will work.

Boolit Master
    Using JPW and mineral spirits seems to cut down on the cloud a bit, but not much. I might load a few with the bases cleaned to see what happens.

Boolit Master
    Good. I loaded several more test groups today and shot them. some had bases cleaned, others lubed. I tried several powders including red dot, blue dot, unique, and no.7. Everything smoked. So, i washed the boolits in a 5 gal bucket with acetone and am going to lubrisize with lyman super moly. (its all i got). I just cant figure this one out.... maybe it was just pre-ordained to smoke, but I dont care for it.

Boolit Master

LLA and Bullseye. Lots of smoke!
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Boolit Buddy

Humidity level/dampness is one of the more common causes of smoke.... Next time you get a good dry day with low humidity go and shoot, you will have low to almost no smoke.... then shoot on a day with 50% or better humidity and see the much larger amount of smoke you get... Any of the guys that shot the BIG GUNS ( 105's - 155's or bigger ) will tell you about real smoke on those high humidity/damp days and nights.. If you shoot at an indoor range that has poor ventilation you will 99% of the time have a cloud of smoke hanging around you... Indoor ranges are just naturally damp.

Don't always blame the lube, it could be the atmospheric conditions... But of course there are some lubes that will smoke regardless of what the conditions are like.

Boolit Master
    Well, I use a variant of Emmert's lube and ffg Shuetzen and I also have a good bit of smoke. Then again, I wouldn't have it any other way. lol

I thought Unique as just a little smokey all by itself.

prs