RotoMetals2RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingLoad DataLee Precision
Inline Fabrication Titan Reloading

Thread: ::: Is there a .223 (77)Grain Mold out there?

Boolit Mold

Question ::: Is there a .223 (77)Grain Mold out there?

Ya it's me again with another one of my NEWB questions, I AM LEARNING THOUGH..LOL

Anyway i am looking to get a custom mold made in .223 (77)Grain for my AR-15. Here's my problem... I naturally can't find any out there for sale so i guess my only option is to get one custom made and design seems to be the thing to hold me back. Is there anyone that will design a mold like this because i haven't a clue where to start. I am very well versed in Auto-CAD but this does me no good because i don't know any of the specs or associated math behind it since I have not designed a boolit in CAD before. Can you pay someone to do this? Can I make a cast mold from wax of a (77)Grain bullet that is manufactured by Federal etc, and send this to a custom mold maker? I really don't know where to start on this but have heard a lot about the "Group Buys"and maybe that is an option. ANY information as what to do from here would be greatly appreciated at this point.
    "I carry a gun cuz a cop is too heavy." Clint Smith

"If you carry a gun, people call you paranoid. That's ridiculous. If I have a gun, what in the world do I have to be paranoid about?" Clint Smith

"People Don’t Care How Much You Know Until They Know How Much You Care" Theodore Roosevelt

"Whoever Smelt it, Delt it" Greenhorn44

MEMBER OF:
    Blue Grass Sportsmens League (BGSL)

NEI used to offer a .224 cal 72 grainer that some members had good results with, but reports of their recent quality problems suggest that they may not be the best place to buy from. You could see what they did and use it as a starting point for your design. I don't think the design software at Mountain Molds will handle a diameter that small but I could be wrong, I haven't looked at it in a long time. You might also check back into a group buy that was done through NOE for a .22 heavy. It stretched out sooo long in development that I lost track of the details but I seem to recall it being around 75 grains, intended for fast twist .223's.
    Rick

Boolit Master

Also check with CBE out in aussy land seems like they offer a heavy 22
    Calamity Jake

NRA Life Member
    SASS 15704
    Shoot straight, keepem in the ten ring.

Something like this might be worth trying.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 223GC.JPG  
    “an armed society is a polite society.”
    Robert A. Heinlein

"Idque apud imperitos humanitas vocabatur, cum pars servitutis esset."
    Publius Tacitus