RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingRepackboxLoad Data
Reloading Everything Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bullets that softened

Banned

Bullets that softened

I have some cast bullets from a reputable co. that claims the bullets are BH 22. When I got them, I checked them with my Lee tester and it verified they were 22. But after a year and a half, the bullets are now BH 16. What happened? Too much tin? I don't mind that they got soft, just wondered what was the cause. Obviously they know what they are doing.

Boolit Master
    I bet they have a high tin content. They could have been quenched #2 or something like that.
    Sent from my PC with a keyboard and camera on it with internet too.
    Melting Stuff is FUN!
    Shooting stuff is even funner

L W Knight

Banned
    This is how they shot at 50 yds out of a revolver. The flier was too much bag fluff, it made the barrel not rise.

bhn22
    Cast bullets lose hardness over time. 6 bhn seems a bit much to me for one year, but whatever...

Banned

cast boolits normalize and stay at thier alloys hardness for a really long time [not sure how long iv'e only had a tester for about 15 years now]
    sounds like you got an estimated bhn and tested it at something else.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by runfiverun View Post
    cast boolits normalize and stay at thier alloys hardness for a really long time [not sure how long iv'e only had a tester for about 15 years now]
    sounds like you got an estimated bhn and tested it at something else.
    No way to know for sure, but I subscribe to this as well. Doesn't seem to be as issue as far as accuracy is concerned.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Banned
    See, so even the companies make errors. The bigger the batch, the larger the error.

Banned

since most company's use terracorp magnum alloy [bhn 16] which is 2% tin and 6% antimony.
    thats most likely what they really were/are.
    unless they used lino-type [22 bhn] and charged accordingly, they were using the hardcast ploy.
    for some reason most reloaders want a bhn of about 6,000 even though copper jacketed is only 50 or so.
    it took me forever to convince my customers that they didn't really need anything harder than 12 bhn, except for certain applications, and that fit was far more important.
    so. they,,, ummm. estimate. since they can somehow harden thier lead by casting it, it has to be close to 22 or sumthin.
    the hardcast thing kinda come about when swaging 5% antimonial lead produced a bhn of like 6-8 but casting that same alloy with tin made 15-16.
    anyways, i am sure marketing had nothing to do with it.

Boolit Master
    Maybe they cast them into water and samled the ones that cast in cold water before the water got hot.
    More likely that they just never counted on someone actually doing a test on them.
    Sent from my PC with a keyboard and camera on it with internet too.
    Melting Stuff is FUN!
    Shooting stuff is even funner

L W Knight

In Remebrance

Could be that Lee tester too, a bit of rather difficult kit to use consistently from what I've seen.

Banned

For what I shoot, air cooled WW boolits are not as accurate unless they have a gas check. I water drop all of mine. Now I keep loaded rounds and boolits around for a LONG time if I don't need them for something. They do soften but seem to shoot the same for me.
    I have often wondered if BHN tells anything about grain structure formed when hardened and if time softening affects the structure. It seems it takes heat to change the structure, so does that have a different affect?
    We need someone that can actually inspect the grain structures to see if there is a difference.
    I use the LBT BHN tester and I get different readings from boolit to boolit and even on other spots of the same boolit. I have just never worried about it.
    I would hate to measure a dimple!

Boolit Master
    Well, it sure looks like they go where you want them to go. And that's all I ever ask of mine.
    Qajaq59

One slow hit is better then 500 quick misses. "It ain't the noise that kills 'em!!!!"

Banned

time softening affects grain structure.
    that would be antimonial migration.
    that'd be the best explanation for softening of waterdropped alloys.

Boolit Grand Master

I use a Cabin Tree tester, and have done a lot of comparisons on blts cast and water dropped(I water drop all of mine for convenience). Have some that I have tested after up to 5 years, and never found more than a 2-3 bh drop in that time frame. Think however that a lot depends on how you use the tester for comparisons.
    1Shirt!
    "Common Sense Is An Uncommon Virtue" Ben Franklin

"Ve got too soon old and too late smart" Pa.Dutch Saying

Boolit Master

I bought a LEE hardness tester. Used it quite a bit at first. Now it just sits on the shelf. Too much trouble and I really don't give a darn what the BHN is as long as they go where they're aimed and don't leave a bunch of lead in the barrel.

Boolit Grand Master
    I'm with 44 man. I water drop everything. And mine may sit for years before they are shot. So I shoot them.
    I don't get that wrapped up in hardness. If they work that is all I care. And so far, they work.

Brad

Banned
    I try to maintain a level of consistency in what I'm doing. And it's standard procedure for me to check BH. I use the Lee tester. It gives quick, accurate results. I check a boolit at the end of the day after a cast. Then I check it again in 24 hrs. It usually jumps a few in one day. I know it also goes up a few in a few weeks, but I don't check it again. For example, I was wanting to cast some HP's for my 45-70. I wanted a BH of about 18. So I went with 50/50, added a 1/4 cup of mag shot and WD. I wanted to see how they came out. I don't "file a flat" on a boolit. I just take a flat piece of steel and lay it on the ram. Then put the boolit on the flat and measure the top of the boolit. It's very easy, very accurate and gives me the info I want. I can check them again and see what they are doing. It takes me 2 minutes to set-up and complete a hardness check.

Banned

50-50 does not need the mag shot. But it might need oven hardened over water dropping. But either way, I found they NEED a gas check to arrest skid with my velocities. This mix might soften faster with time, I don't know. It is great for a flat nose but for a hollow point I want to try 75 WW-25 pure. That 50-50 hollow point will sure mess up meat. Don't hit a shoulder!

Banned
    Thanks. Actually, I'm lucky, I had some alloy already in the pot. But you are right. 75/25 was the correct mixture.

Boolit Master

Have any of you ever checked common temperature range on bullet hardness?
    for instance checked the same alloy at say 0,30,50, and 100 degrees to see if it makes a difference.