Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataTitan ReloadingWideners
Repackbox Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hurry, hurry, hurry!

Boolit Master

Hurry, hurry, hurry!

I get so mad at myself. I always want to hurry and get stuff set up for casting or when I am reloading I start off like the bad guys were at the front door and I had to get some boolits ready! I don't know why but I have a time of it trying to slow down and take my time. I have a whole bunch of rounds loaded up but each time I start to reload, I have to get myself slowed down. I don't know why I think there is a hurry but I guess that's the way most of my life is and I have to get slooowed down when casting or reloading.
    ARMY Viet-Nam 70-71

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    I know the feeling CTT ! and to slow myself down I have bought gang molds wherever possible . I've found it hard to get in a rush to cast more when I have forty pounds of what I want already cast . For me it's a simple matter of looking to see which ones are getting low and top off the bins . I start thinking about loading ammo when I pull the next to the last thirty caliber ammo can off the shelf

I am resisting the urge to buy a gang mold for hollowpoints since I don't use a lot of them anyway

Jack

Banned

When you fellas get to be an old codger like me, you will look down at the empty boolit boxes and say "I need to cast", then do something else!

Little Egypt, Part of the political fifedom of Chicago
    Quote Originally Posted by 44man View Post
    When you fellas get to be an old codger like me, you will look down at the empty boolit boxes and say "I need to cast", then do something else!
    Ain't that the truth.............

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by 44man View Post
    You need to add "when I get around to it", in the quote.
    So much to do and so little time, since I retired. How did I ever get anything done and work too?

Boolit Master
    44man you beat me to it. LOL
    Qajaq59

One slow hit is better then 500 quick misses. "It ain't the noise that kills 'em!!!!"

Boolit Master

I know the feeling about doing other things. I am currently out (ok, almost out, less than 50) 45 boolits. Last night I built my new 6.8 SPC upper and cleaned the 5.56 upper and my 45.

Seriously?? Cleaned guns instead of cast?!?! Obviously I'm doing it wrong...

Building the upper I can understand, I guess the difference is the wife is out of town for a few days, I can cast out in my man cave when she is home, she doesn't care for the smell when I'm cleaning the guns and the man cave isn't setup for gun cleaning.

But I do have to say Eds Red smells better than most solvents.

Boolit Master

When I find the time (I'm retired too) to cast I prolong it as long as possible and hurry isn't in my bag of tricks at all. I just sized, primed and belled 150 45/70 cases and I'll get them stuffed with powder and boolit soon. I prime one at a time on a ram prime by LEE. It is slow but is really does a nice job of seating those primers. I'm gonna try about 45gr of 3031 under the 450 gr gas check boolit and see how they fly.

I started of as a boy working flat out trying to keep up with my father, whether it was digging postholes or stacking firewood. It led to a lifetime of working at top revs and now that I am forceably retired I have at last learned to slow down a bit (pain is a great teacher) Have had to adapt my shooting style but have begun to enjoy the leasurely casting, handloading, shooting, cleaning, and just playing with my "gun stuff". I dont wear a watch now and things get done when they get done.

Von Gruff.
    Von Gruff.

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

Boolit Master
    I have at last learned to slow down a bit (pain is a great teacher)
    Amen to that Von Gruff. Before the arthritis got into my spine I only had 2 speeds. Full blast and dead stop. Now I have to pace everything out. I'll only cast or load maybe 100 - 200 rifle bullets at a time. But being retired, I can do it every other day, so I'm always well ahead of what I'm can shoot.
    Qajaq59

One slow hit is better then 500 quick misses. "It ain't the noise that kills 'em!!!!"

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    This reminds me of a guy at the shoot last weekend. He said he has two speeds. And if we didn't like the one he was using, we were going to hate the other one.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

i have just the oppsosit problem, i have a hard time getting going. even after a whole POT of coffee! of course, even with that, i am having a hard time. now it takes me all day, to drink the pot. so by the time i get to doing something, it is time for bed! and then i have so much caffien in my system, i cant sleep. i just finished my last cup of coffee. i am going to quit, cold turkey. this is just rediculous. tomorrow morning, i am going to take a caffeien pill with some mountain dew. then, maybe i can get enough get up and go before the day is done. sorry about hijacking the thread.
    Silver and Gold are for rich men. Lead and Brass is MY silver and gold! And when push comes to shove, one of my silver and gold pieces will be more valuable than a big pile of actual silver and gold.

Boolit Master
    This reminds me of a guy at the shoot last weekend. He said he has two speeds. And if we didn't like the one he was using, we were going to hate the other one.
    Oh, I just have to remember to use that one.
    Qajaq59

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by XWrench3 View Post
    i have just the oppsosit problem, i have a hard time getting going. even after a whole POT of coffee! of course, even with that, i am having a hard time. now it takes me all day, to drink the pot. so by the time i get to doing something, it is time for bed! and then i have so much caffien in my system, i cant sleep. i just finished my last cup of coffee. i am going to quit, cold turkey. this is just rediculous. tomorrow morning, i am going to take a caffeien pill with some mountain dew. then, maybe i can get enough get up and go before the day is done. sorry about hijacking the thread.
    Been there, done that, got the cottonpickin' T-shirt. But, coffee doesn't affect my sleep, I can finish a big cup and go straight to sleep!
    How's that hope and change working for you?

Well, your Grandmother said it..."Haste makes waste.". Folks with your type of personality also go to an early grave with strokes, heart attacks and so on. You can learn to ratchet down the impluse to go full speed everywhere and every time. It really is important that you take this issue seriously.

I am not trying to be abusive or an alarmist. You were honest enough to lay this out there and that lets me know it is an issue that concerns you. There are many "Type A" personalities like you and unlessed controled lead to early death. They do get allot gone, but at a tremendous cost.

Take care and God bless.

Boolit Master

Right on Charger, I had to get my farming done help the neighbors, put in my 72 hours on the bo'lance and help out at the PD, go to kids ball games be a leader at the 4-H club, then open heart at 51, and no full time work.
    +1 Van Gruff, the world is a better place with out a watch. Been two years since mine quit. Stopping looking at my wrist was harder than quiting smoking.
    Don't buy nuthing you can't take home

Joel 3:10

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    Had a dock foreman in my face and told him that thought he was going to explode, this was forty years ago.
    Frank G.

Boolit Master
    I see the empty boxes, and know I'm going to the range on Sunday, and procrastinate... and on Saturday afternoon, it's hurry, hurry, hurry, cast, size/lube, get the brass prepped, slow down to measure the powder, hurry up and seat the boolits. Repeat the following weekend.

Boolit Master

I finally retired from everything during the summer of '07. My watch battery died in the fall. At first I was always looking at my wrist and missing the watch. Time went by. I missed it less and less.

Finally last month I got around to replacing the battery on the watch. It ran like ****. I brought it back to the place where they had replaced the battery and they told me that the old battery had corroded and damaged the movement.

Another 45 bucks to spend and another weeks wait. Now I have the watch back. Big deal. I seldom look at it. I had gotten out of the habit of looking at it and whenever I do remember to look at it I pretty much already know the correct time anyway within 15 mins or so.

Yup, retired is a good life but time has little meaning anymore. I am no longer in a rush and I do spend it doing what I want to do, when I want to do it and I set myself very liberal deadlines to get things done.
    Pax Nobiscum Dan (Crash) Corrigan

Currently casting, reloading and shooting: 223 Rem, 6.5x55 Sweede, 30 Carbine, 30-06 Springfield, 30-30 WCF, 303 Brit., 7.62x39, 7.92x57 Mauser, .32 Long, 32 H&R Mag, 327 Fed Mag, 380 ACP. 9x19, 38 Spcl, 357 Mag, 38-55 Win, 41 Mag, 44 Spcl., 44 Mag, 45 Colt, 45 ACP, 454 Casull, 457 RB for ROA and 50-90 Sharps. Shooting .22 LR & 12 Gauge seldom and buying ammo for same.

Boolit Master
    Being retired takes the "hurry" out of most everything. Especially if you assign days to do things. I shoot on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Then I load, cast, hunt, or play on the rest.
    It's a tough life, but someone has to do it!
    Qajaq59