Titan ReloadingLoad DataRepackboxRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersReloading Everything
Snyders Jerky Lee Precision
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: .357 S & W Highway Patrolman

Boolit Master

.357 S & W Highway Patrolman

I was looking at a S & W .357 in a gunshop a few days ago.

The dealer said it was a .357 S & W Highway Patrolman.

A four hole model. Six inch barrel.

Came with a box.

It looked in good shape, no visible damage/faults.

What would be the expected price for this handgun?

Boolit Master
    The Highway Patrol man was a poor mans model 27 often called the model 28.

Available in 4 or 6 inch barrel it was a standard six shot revolver that performed as well as it's high priced brother but without all the frame checkering and such.

Box's never ment squat to me, cause you can't shoot them in a box, so that would have little effect on me were I working a deal for said Model 28.

$400 would be my top price and it would have to be real pristine to get that much or even a penny more, at least from me.

Said model 28 would most likely get sent off for a new cylinder and a barrel boring to 44 special which would make it a lot more desirable for me.

The 357 has never held much interest for me other than the desire to someday own a Python.

The only 357 I have ever owned is the barrel on my Contender which truly allows this round to perform as it should.

So $350 to $400 is my suggestion for it

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyMetal View Post
    ...Available in 4 or 6 inch barrel it was a standard six shot revolver that performed as well as it's high priced brother but without all the frame checkering and such...
    Depends on what you mean by "performs as well"... The Highway Patrolman/M28 didn't get the same degree of fitment as the the 27, either. In the older guns, the 27s show much better bore/chamber alignment and and better adherence to throat & groove diameter specification. As a result, the 27s shoot much more accurately.
    “If your only tool is a hammer, then all your problems start to look like people who need to be beaten with a hammer.”

Boolit Master
    Go price them in gunbroker, etc. They surprised the hell out of me at recent gun shows and subsequent internet auctions checkiing on price! I had bought them for around $100 in the early 1970s..several were re-lined and re-chambered to 44 Special by the gentleman in Delaware...they shot good for me. The guns vanished in a burlary and I had other interests to pursue.

I wish I had a bunch of them now...and not just for the current re-sale value. They are another casualty of changing times. (Sound like an old guy; lol.)

Boolit Master
    Let me define my thoughts on "performs as well".

The average shooter's skill level does not exceed the capabilities of his weapon provided, of course, that the weapon is of quality construction. A visit to any range can confirm that observation.

Using the "average" shooter, be he civilian or police / military, as a general rule of thumb most could not pick up a model 27 walk to the line and see a change in score from shooting a model 28 with ammunation, barrel length, grips and sound mechanicals being the same.

That's my diffination of "Performs as Well" and I think it a pretty fair one.

Many shooters on this site could see a difference and at one time so could I But for an "average" guy plunking down hard earned cash for a 357 I think most would pop for a 28 before a 27 every time.

As for the differences between a model 27 and a model 28?

Absolutely Night and Day!

The Model 27, to the right buyer, was worth the difference in price over the model 28 both then and now but once again not to the "average shooter".

Not a condemnation of either pistol just a realistic view of the buying public.

Boolit Mold
    They go from $400-$600 in my neck of the woods, depending on condition.

Boolit Master

I have one of these,,,model 27, .357 six shot...6 inch barrel....mine is a very well constructed handgun. Beautiful trigger pull, very consistant. good quaility workmanship....I bought this new in 1965 and after all these years and rounds it still shoots alot better than I can. Ive loaded it hot and not so hot and the accuracy has been consistant and good. I would not bad mouth this model.

Boolit Master

Saw one a couple years ago with almost all the finish gone, it was grey all over. The grips looked to be oil soaked. The thing was tight as a safe and it locked up TIGHT! The shop wanted under 200 bucks! It was a 4in.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Keep in mind that the Mod. 28 "Highway Patrolman" was mainly intended as a low cost, large frame law enforcement option. It has a matte finish, no checkering on the top strap or barrel and was delivered in its base model with magna style grips instead of target. All of these lacking features were intended to keep production costs low. However, both models do have the same adjustable sights.

The Mod 28 was available with a 4" or 6" barrel. The Mod 27 could be had with a 3 1/2, 5, 6, or 8 3/8 inch barrel, with an occasional very limited run of other lengths, and usually shipped with a presentation case, target stocks, target hammer and target trigger...

As has been mentioned by others, many new and used 28's have been adapted as a very inexpensive way to convert to 44 Special or to a bull barreled, Bomar type ribbed 357 combat pistol. The unique adaptability of this particular model for various uses has contributed to keeping the price of 28's high and in relatively short supply. Many have termed it the "best buy for the buck" pistol ever made by S&W .... and I agree.

What a shame this model is no longer available new -- at a proportionately low cost!!
    "Hindsight is always so much more accurate than foresight, but well considered foresight so much more valuable." - Dwight D. Eisenhower

Boolit Buddy

Thumbs up I've owned a few-

Many a Highway Patrolman has spent time in my collection- In the 70's I was buying them NEW for $90 using my employee discount at Montgomery Wards-- remember them? Over the years, every one of them performed in a fully satisfactory fashion- tough, strong, accurate, plain-jane for sure, but they did the job at minimal expense.
    Sad to see them dropped from the line-up.
    Here in California, we are very restricted in what handguns we can bring into the state, as they have to exactly match the state DOJ "approved list". Being long out of production and not on the list, the Model 28 can't be brought into California. If you want one, you have to find one already here, and nobody is selling Smith & Wesson revolvers these days, to be sure!
    Last one I saw was a 80% specimen, and it lasted about 5 days on the display shelf, selling for $595--- yes, I was tempted. No, I did not buy it---
    My last top-of-the-line Model 27 went to the range today, and did just fine. It is now a 44Special, courtesy of the folks at Bowen Custom Arms in TN.
    Unless looks are everything to you, BUY that Model 28 and be happy!

358wcf

Boolit Master

Thanks for the advice, gents.

Boolit Master
    "...delivered in its base model with magna style grips instead of target."

My first handgun was a used, 6" Highway Patrolman with factory installed target grips.

Quote Originally Posted by 462 View Post
    "...delivered in its base model with magna style grips instead of target."

My first handgun was a used, 6" Highway Patrolman with factory installed target grips.

Yep.... Some were. But like all S&W revolvers options could be ordered at additional cost as requested by law enforcement agencies. Individuals could also order options through their gun dealers if they were willing to wait.

All the factory installed target stocks I've seen on 28's were walnut rather than the Goncalo Alves wood commonly seen on "premium" N frames.. Of course, many people added their own S&W or after market stocks afterward....

A great handgun that could be easily personalized at a low cost....
    "Hindsight is always so much more accurate than foresight, but well considered foresight so much more valuable." - Dwight D. Eisenhower

Boolit Master
    My Mod 28 shot with my Mod 27 after a tune up by a good Pistol smith. Total investment at the time was $150.00. Yup, I'm an ole fart!
    How's that hope and change working for you?

Black Powder 100%

Livingston, La. 20 miles east of Baton Rouge, La.
    The 28 was meant to sell to Police Departments such as State Police. S&W knew that a lot of places didn't have the money for the better made 27. The 27 had a much more polished finish both inside and out. The blue was deep and black and could be used for a mirror. The 28 was a gift to me from my parents when I came home from the Military. They purchased it from Mack& Daves in Huntington, WV. for about $150 in 1967. That gun was the one used to test all of the Super Vel ammo from Lee Juras. They were not pretty and looked like Military Guns but built like a tank.
    Shooter of the "HOLY BLACK" SASS 81802 AKA FAIRSHAKE; NRA ; BOLD; WARTHOG;Deadwood Marshal;Bayou Bounty Hunter; So That his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat; 44 WCF filled to the top, 210 gr. bullet

You have lots of information on the Model 28. I have owned a number of them and a number of Model 27s. I don't believe for one minute the 28s were fitted with any less precision than the 27s. The only difference was cosmetic in the finish and the available options.

Skeeter Skelton once said the 28 was the greatest bargain in the sixgun market. He was correct. I now have two and neither will leave my possession.

I am no longer buying guns, but enjoying the one I have. My pricing is several decades old, so I don't know if $400 is fair or not. I think it probably is. You can rest assured that if you wait a few years you will have to pay more. The price will only go up.

Boolit Master

I bought it. gave it a good cleaning.

Got a chance to run a few cyclinders of at least twenty five year old reloads thru it yesterday.

It seems every bit as accurate as my K-22. (Which does not surprise me.)

Will assemble some fresh handloads, with 158 grain SWCs, and try it on paper soon.

Boolit Master

! question , What`s a S&W ?????

Just kidding LOL my first 357 was a 586 .

The 28 just looks "unfinished " that`s the only word that comes to mind .

A local Pawn Broker had 2 in the case (I knew they were 28 from the different lookin blueing on the cyl) & 1 was at 459.99 & the other 489.99
    GP100man

?
    Many miles have I traveled
    a thousand miles or more
    but a Smith called a four holer
    I never heard before
    (With apologies to Oscar Brand)

Moderator Emeritus

I paid $185 for one with a great holster and belt in 1980 and like many things I wish I still had it.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze