Inline FabricationLoad DataReloading EverythingRepackbox
Lee PrecisionWidenersTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters Supply RotoMetals2

Thread: New mossberg atr 100 rifle reviews?

Boolit Buddy

New mossberg atr 100 rifle reviews?

http://www.mossberg.com/images/Mossb.../New/27241.jpg
    any one have any reviews on the new mossberg bolt action riles.
    I read on another forum that they had a few problems with them as far as the locking lugs shearing from the bolt face.I think 2 shooters were injured from the bolt blowing back out of the action.
    The above model in the 243 cal. for me it is the Bantam model and the L.O.P. is 13 1/4"

Boolit Buddy
    Same rifle as the Charter Arms Raptor. It has a pressed together bolt. Not something I would put my melon behind.

I've got one and I've not had an accident yet. But I do agree that the bolt is a little weak. I didn't know the bolt was pressed together. I did break an extractor and sent the bolt back and Mossberg replaced it. I bought this rifle a .30-06 about 3 years ago and have shot it probably 100 times and it is accurate. I bought it to use till something else comes along. My brother has a Savage 110 action with stock that I've been trying to buy. If I buy it and rebarrel it the ATR is gonna be sold.
    Last edited by roverboy; 10-14-2010 at 05:13 PM.
    Mrs. Hogwallop up and R-U-N-N-O-F-T.

I have one in 308 i bought used that was like new.I took the bolt apart to work on the main spring and my bolt was not pressed together.I actully lost a pin and had to send it back.I was told there was an upgrade or change to the bolt.They repaired it and shipped it back for free.I agree it looks kind of week.I have never shot a J bullit in mine,but it shoots cast very well.

Well its been said they are a little cheap looking. On post no.3 I said I broke an extractor once. Well, I did it again. The bolt is opening easy after the shot. No pressure problems at all. But I was shooting it the other day and, I had shot about 5 times and was having no problems and when I opened the bolt after shooting the extractor fell out. I'm gonna call Mossberg and tell them the problem and see what they do. Maybe in the furure they'll remedy this problem.

Well I called Mossberg and they said I had to send the whole rifle back. They said that there's a replacement that's an upgrade. I almost told the operator that Mossberg must have seen that the originals are junk. Anything would have to be better.

I have one in 270 Winchester. It is reliable, accurate, and the bolt is NOT pressed together. The head is held to the body with a pin. I really have a difficult time understanding how the lugs sheared off one of the heads.

Bill

Bstarling, mine is accurate, lightweight and handles great, but its fragile as all getout. I killed a big doe with it 2 years ago at 348 yards. I thought at first I was gonna love it. I hope most guys like their 100ATR rifles. Mine's in Eagle Pass, Tx now. I don't know when I'll get it back.

Banned

ive got an 06. Well at least i did have one. I gave it to my buddys daughter for a deer rifle. It shot moa with a couple loads and had a one piece bolt and alothough i didnt shoot it alot it no doubt had at least 300 rounds through it doing load developement and never missed a beat. Other then the stiff gritty trigger i had absolutely no complaints with it. I could nit pick a few other things but when i consider i payed 250 bucks for it not 600 the little things are understandable.

Free Trigger Fix

Lloyd, that gritty trigger can be fixed free by the factory. Mine was extremely heavy when I got it. Sent it back and when I got my hands on it I was amazed what they had done with it. I haven't checked the pull weight, but it is light and crisp. I really think these things are a super buy in sporting rifles, there are other good low end guns, but these are as good or better any of them.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by bstarling View Post
    Lloyd, that gritty trigger can be fixed free by the factory. Mine was extremely heavy when I got it. Sent it back and when I got my hands on it I was amazed what they had done with it. I haven't checked the pull weight, but it is light and crisp. I really think these things are a super buy in sporting rifles, there are other good low end guns, but these are as good or better any of them.

Bill
    I'm really glad you got a good one, but I didn't. I wish everybody that bought one, would get a good one. Like I said mine is accurate, but pretty fragile in the bolt parts. I got other rifles that are older and have been shot a lot more and they are way tougher. Mine is one of the older ATR rifles. I have heard that the newer ones are made a little better. I hope so..............

Fed Ex delivered it back to me today with a new bolt. Its a little different than the original one. Its got a checkered bolt handle and has Mossberg down the bolt body. Prettier but who knows if its stronger. I'll see in a little while.

Boolit Master
    Reviving this thread:

I have an ATR100 in the .243 and am planing on casting the Lyman 245496 boolit for it. Has anyone used this boolilt in this rifle? Or had experience with the 245496 in other rifles? Thanks.
    Lucky Joe
    "There's always a way."

The story about the bolt flying apart is misleading. I read the court docit. The guy was drunk, pulled his new gun apart, beat it into a wall and then tried to put it back together. Called his neighbor the next day to see if he could fix it. Neighbor said no way and left. Later the forced the bolt in, closed it on a live round and squeezed the trigger. BOOM, bolt body came back an hit him in the face. The bolt head was still locked in the chamber. It seems that Mr. Rocket Scientist sheared off the pin that holds the bolt to the bolt head when he was beating the wall with the gun. With nothing holding it to the head, the body was ejected.

Oh, and the "victim" was a convicted felon. He forced his wife/girl friend to buy him the gun.
    I would like a little lube with my OBAMA CARE!

Boolit Master
    I bought one in the "Night trail" model. The Bersa scope looks like it isn't a Burris ballestic Plex...but I am willing to give it a shot..308 by the way..cheap plastic bi-pod..now they have the good ones and a lighted scope..Dealer under $400.00..I do like the lines of the stock..very nice looking rifle..also bought 2 "Dealer Samples" from zanders. The company stamped a "U" after the serial #...Not a very good strike either..The dealer samples were .30-06 / 24" / muzzle brakes/detachable box magizines/Marine Coat finsh. 1 had been shoot more than the other..will see as time goes on..

Boolit Buddy

I had one in 30-06 flavor I got from walmart for like $240 a few years back. It was cheaply made and sorta ugly like a savage. Actually it was almost identical to a savage but made a little cheaper. I put probably 300rds thru it and never had a problem in the 5 years I had it. I sold it for $250 and never looked back. That being said it was deadly accurate out to 300yds. All I did was oil and clean it and never an issue. I am getting older and like finer made rifles an such but for a first rifle or for a kid or just because you don't have the coin for an expensive rifle they work very very well. If I ever was in need of a rifle and didn't have a lot of coin it would be on the short list

Boolit Buddy
    Well this is bad news, I just got the latest .308 MVP SCOUT, it is already back to the factory. The bolt IS press fit, has tines on the end of the tube but NOT in the corresponding bolt handle where it recesses in. There is no pin or weld or silver solder holding it together. The material is thin and light, so they just keep cranking these out without any care or thought of possible injury to their customers. It needs to be re re designed and offered to all owners or recalled or whatever. So sad that it is an American made in the USA product that is so poorly designed.
    stay frosty

Boolit Master
    I have it in .270 win, .243 win, and 7mm-08. The 7mm-08 has the LBA trigger which is nice. Never had any issue with any of mine. They shoot well and always work. Killed many of deer with the .270 and 7mm-08. Pretty sure the bolt heads are pinned on.

Boolit Buddy
    Yes the bolt head/face is pinned, it's the rearward end attached at the bolt handle that is press fit and has the possibility of failure at some point. I bought this for its compact size, iron sights, accuracy, scout rail, threaded muzzle, and magazine, all good features, I should have investigated this bolt design first! I was willing to overlook the two position safety and crappy stock but now may end up selling this and buying another savage scout which I should never have sold.

http://s9.photobucket.com/user/3006m...gi1du.jpg.html
    Last edited by 3006mv; 05-23-2015 at 07:32 PM.
    stay frosty

Boolit Master
    Have one in 308. No comparison to the Ruger American for an extra $40.

It it was great for 60 rounds then part of the mag came off and jammed up the action. It's had some other small quality issues. Not bad at all with a guy handy with a file and hand tools.