RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyInline FabricationReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRepackboxLee Precision
Wideners Load Data
Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Lube test

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    Thanks Bullshop , looking forward to giving this stuff a try.

In all seriousness any of you guys want a great experience in bpcr shooting need to plan to attend Kenny's Creedmoor. Especially if you could get there a day or so early , so some of the top guns that are there have a bit more time to answer question and hand out advice if you ask... Excellent place to learn about long range shooting.
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

Boolit Master
    OH MAN! I sure would like that but just cant afford to. I like to think that my place cant get by without me too.
    We have no BPCR anything here where I live accept me and my boys going to the gravel pit for fun ocasionally. I have even considered selling off my rifles but when someone asks how much all I can seem to do is studder and stammer and not really answer.
    I do like to use them so maybe thats enough. I hunted with a 50/90 last year just to maybe justify keeping them.
    Hope that all goes well there and will be looking forward to hearing about it.

I bought some NASA last year, just to try it, was getting leading problems. Since switching to it my scores have gone up and the leading problems have improved no end...almost gone completely.

I shoot short range only thesedays, so max 300M all off the sling as per MLAIC rules...guess you could say it's precision....2" bullseye at 100M. I don't shoot as many rounds as some of the guys here for sure...700 last year and had an average of 96 at 100M...can't remember the others..but I got 'em written down somewhere. I also had a big win (by our standards anyway) early on in the year using NASA lube shooting a 98@100M a 93@200M and 92@300M.

I like the way it sticks to the grooves, even on shallow lube grooves..it's a real pleasure to use...have even used it on some smokeless loads in my Webley Mk.VI...it worked a treat.

The Bullshop was very friendly to deal with and sent the lube to me here over the pond in pretty quick time, even bothering to get the exact postage rate which was very kind indeed.

I've been rivited to this thread, but didn't think it was my place to chip in as I'm not using the NASA in the conditions some of you guys are...look forward with intrest to reading about further testing.

Last edited by Gellot Wilde; 10-07-2010 at 03:29 PM.
    Don't follow me, I'm lost too!

Boolit Master
    G'Day Mr. Wilde
    I am glad to hear of your good shooting with NASA and very glad you spoke up too.
    I would like to hear a little more still about what you are shooting, rifle/cartridge and a bit about your loads too.

Boolit Master
    Gellot, I take it your shooting short range Muzzle loaders. The scaled down version? The Leading issues you mention going away are interesting to say the least, Bullshop also commented that the Clendens leading issues, I know they use smokless quite a bit in the Gong matches they attend. But if your shooting Muzzle loader with BP that makes this more interesting yet.

KW
    The Lunger

I do shoot the same short range matches 1-300M with a muzzle loader (100M competition is very popular here, it's got the largest following in official FFT matches of any I believe) but I was talking about BPCR. The muzzle loader hasn't been tried with NASA as yet as my own lube seems to be ok...that's going to be the next test when we get time.

The rifle is a Ballard No.4 Perfection(one of the Cody built ones) which is in .45-90...I know they didn't produce one in that back in the day, but it was just easier as I was already shooting that in a Pedersoli which my wife now shoots.

My current load is 75gr of Swiss No.4, OP wad cut from newsprint, .030 King veg wad with a Buffalo Arms Creedmore 540gr bullet which drops at .460 and reads just under 5 on the Saeco LHT. For the primers I use CCI Large Pistol as it's about the only ones I can be sure to buy here. The bullets are pan-lubed with NASA after they have usually sat for a month or so...I normally lube them a day or two before a match.

My wife is shooting the same load in her Pedersoli but with Remingtion cases and a .060 veg wad. Last year her average at 100M over the same number of rounds fired as myself was 92.

Rob

Boolit Buddy
    Rob,

Pretty good performance - for those not accustomed to the European targets, the 10-ring on the 300m-target is 1 1/2MOA, the 9-ring about 3 1/2MOA. Anything above 90 is a pretty good score indeed. Even a 98 at 100 is nothing to sneeze at.
    Add to that shooting with sling only, no support, and that makes for a more than decent score... I trust we'll see you at the Souppes Int'l match next year?

Boolit Master
    Yup surenuff some good shootin.

Boolit Master
    Wish you guys could make it to the USA an shoot with us at Raton. These days in Ratons Dry hot climate, to even place in mid Range events, 200-300-600 yards you have to shoot 100- and a handful of X's at 200 yards alone, I shot a 98-2X and did not even place this year. The X ring at 200 is 1.5 MOA, at 300 MOA and 600 MOA. The 10 ring is 7 inches at 200 and 300 at 600 its 12 inches. Fun Matches, sounds like good shooters over there also.
    KW
    The Lunger

Sorry for the late reply, we've been away at a comp this weekend...sadly not BPCR and my performace was terrible...but the little lady did us proud.

Thanks for the more than kind comments guys and Gert...we should try to link up and shake hands at Souppes next year...would be a pleasure...are you shooting the Martini again? We probably passed each other last year and didn't even realise.

That's the dream I guess Kenny...just to stand at Raton would be enough, let alone shoot a few rounds...hallowed ground to me...we keep looking into it but there's always something else finacially that gets priority.

Boolit Buddy
    Rob,
    At least now I know I have to look for the guy with the Ballard - there won't be all that much around. And yes, I'll be shooting some kind of Martini. of course!

Kenny,
    Still intending to make the trip over and shoot wherever in the US. Would be nice to meet some of the Cape Town 2006 faces again... Those midrange matches, are they X-sticks of prone, with sling? Looks like a pretty challenging target indeed - at least if you have to clean it to even place...
    I'll make it over - I don't know yet when, but it's high on the priority list for sure!

Boolit Master
    Don -
    sorry we did not see this post until just this AM - we already sent the lube out - we sent it in stick form. Tina

Quote Originally Posted by Don McDowell View Post
    Bullshop I'll take cake please, and send an invoice with it. If I like it I'll gladly pay, and order another.
    Test will be up against Harlans Sagebrush Alox.
    FYI, In light of this discussion and to appease any offended parties we have also had the information changed on our site. There is no longer any reference to anyone winning anything using our products.
    Last edited by Bullshop; 10-11-2010 at 11:56 AM.

Don't sweat it, the sticks will work fine as well.
    thanks.

Don't let the postal service fool ya, they can get stuff delivered in a timely fashion when they want to.... Got the lube today . Looks good.

Boolit Master
    I also got mine last night home late from work then off to Lodge for work, so have not opened it yet, with luck its going to get some going over this coming weekend.

KW
    The Lunger

I'm curious what the parameters to a good lube test would consist of.
    I've amassed a good collection of lubes thinking of doing a test this summer, but never got to it., and now that its cool and damp, I'll probably wait til next summer.
    I've got:
    SPG,
    DGL
    NASA
    Shavers Black Moly
    X ring
    and Homemade.

But I still don't have any good parameters to conduct one.

I thought SPG was the cats meow with my microgroove money bullets in the 45-90 this spring, then one day the sun came out and the temp got over 80 and someone turned the switch off, on its ability to keep my fouling soft.

Boolit Master
    Sematv
    I think we are about to find out.

Black Powder 100%

Livingston, La. 20 miles east of Baton Rouge, La.
    Semtav, Steve Garbe himself will tell you that in certain conditions his SPG is not a cure all. I make my own and it works wonderful from my 34 inch bbl and Louisiana heat and humidity. I have never shot at Raton or any of the big matches. Just in Mississippi, Texas and here. With my recent news of only breathing on one lung I think my dreams have been put away. I have been all over the country and through Raton many times and my dream was to shoot from that firing line. Lubes are very different and they have conditions where they all will fail as KW pointed out. That is another thing that makes this sport so much fun. There are no list on what works everywhere. You also might want to throw in Dan T's White Lightn'. As KW pointed out in another post below 30% humidity you have to wipe.
    Shooter of the "HOLY BLACK" SASS 81802 AKA FAIRSHAKE; NRA ; BOLD; WARTHOG;Deadwood Marshal;Bayou Bounty Hunter; So That his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat; 44 WCF filled to the top, 210 gr. bullet

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullshop View Post
    Sematv
    I think we are about to find out.
    I dunno. Like Semtav, I think this year's time for testing has already passed...unless they're having a heat wave down in Wyoming.

CM
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

Boolit Master
    I dont know Charlie. I dont think the idea was to find out at what point the lube will fail. I think the idea was to find out if one performed better than another under the same conditions.
    We have already established that under certain conditions all lubes will fail. I think it will take a long time shooting in all possible conditions to determine at what point each individual lube will fail and how far spread those will be. Some may fail at close to the same point and some may show a clear edge over the others.
    I think to get a clear picture the test would have to run year round with some shooting done in each month with an eye on extreme weather conditions.

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast