MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyReloading Everything
RepackboxInline FabricationTitan ReloadingWideners
Load Data Lee Precision
Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Lube test

Black Powder 100%

Livingston, La. 20 miles east of Baton Rouge, La.
    Chuebner, I asked this question to you on the lube section. What White Label lube were you using? Lars has not made any BP lube for close to two years. I still have a few of the old tubes and was wondering were yours came from.
    Shooter of the "HOLY BLACK" SASS 81802 AKA FAIRSHAKE; NRA ; BOLD; WARTHOG;Deadwood Marshal;Bayou Bounty Hunter; So That his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat; 44 WCF filled to the top, 210 gr. bullet

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    More on the break point of Relative Humidity and Temperature effecting bore foul
    http://www.theopenrange.net/forum/in...idity#msg26591
    The hygroscopic behavior of the residue left by black powder will vary.
    The biggest effect on how hygroscopic a powder's residue will be is in a way regulated by the ratio of potassium carbonate to potassium sulfate. According to the writings of Noble & Abel you would expect to see 3 to 4 parts of potassium carbonate for every part of potassium sulfate. Potassium carbonate is funny stuff. Below 30% R.H. it is non-hygroscopic. Above 30% R.H. it becomes increasingly more hygroscopic and ends up being deliquescent above 80% R.H.

In looking at how the powder residue behaves you must take into account both the relative humidity and the temperature at the time. This determines the amount of water being held in the air. Grains of water per cubic foot of air. In essence the 30% R.H. is the break point between non-hygroscopic and hygroscopic but then you must look at how much water is available in the air to sort of satisfy the thirst of the fouling.
    Dan, in support of your NASA Lube: I shoot Dan Theodore's Mini Groove bullet. Due to the shallow depth of the bullet's GG's, wanted a lube that would fill and stay in the grooves when they were pan lubed. NASA does the trick: no lube starvation or leading
    Regards
    John

Black Powder 100%

Kenny, I am sorry that you and Bullshop could not see eye to eye as I think a test by you would be one that was etched in concrete. It is known that you don't lie and I respect your shooting ability. That would make the test very valid because you and Don, a man I also respect very much would have very solid proof of what NASA could do and not do. When I first made my own lube I was feeling very proud of myself on how well it worked. I then read a posting about lubes in high humidity by someone on this forum and my bubble burst. My first trip west of the Mississippi showed me why you need to carry chap stick in your pocket. It also showed me why a Cajun from Louisiana should not drink 6 beers at 10,500.
    Shooter of the "HOLY BLACK" SASS 81802 AKA FAIRSHAKE; NRA ; BOLD; WARTHOG;Deadwood Marshal;Bayou Bounty Hunter; So That his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat; 44 WCF filled to the top, 210 gr. bullet

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    Doc, the answer is maybe, but only maybe. Look at JohnBoy's boxed quote for a feeling of why or why not. In other words, if the atmosphere feels "tacky" then, yes, that is what you are looking for. It is the small molecules of water that get into the miniscule holes in the steel/iron/whatever. ... felix
    felix

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Kenny, I wish you would go ahead and do testing on this. Between you and Don, I would have testimonial, good or bad I can rely on.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

I saw my own daughter and many other shooters, foul out in 80 deg temps and 35% humidity due to incorrect blowing. Huffing on the blow tube and correct blowing are two totally different things.
    Kenny's statement is absolutely correct ...
    I took my advice from Bill Knight, aka Dutch Bill about blowing. His advice based on his numerous experiments is:
    Below 30% RH - 12 good blows into the bore to put moisture into the potassium bicarbonate left in the bore which is the primary component of the residue
    Above 30% RH - 5 good blows into the bore
    I'm a blow tuber for the most part and depending on the bullet being fired (with or without scraping capability), have followed Bill's advice and determined it to be effective putting moisture in the bore to control the fouling.

Might add: to factually determine the RH & temperature when I pull the trigger, I have ordered a relative humidity/temperature meter instead of relying on the RH/Temp for any given day and time posted on Weather Underground. It's small to put in the range box and cheap to boot - 6 bucks
    Regards
    John

Boolit Master
    Kenny I think you are maybe a bit too testy. It seems by your measure we have both been called liars.
    You seem pretty confident that you know all the records and maybe so but for certain I didn't just make up from thin air the things I told you. If the announcements in the BPC News were wrong then I may have passed on bad info but I didn't just make those things up. I believed them to be true when I wrote them.
    I never have outwardly called you anything, just inferred that our information was different. Its been too long gone now for me to try to find the sources of info I got that from so it makes no difference anyway.
    I and about everyone else here know of your achievements in this game and I am sure all respect that, I do. If my advertising has offended you that much I will try to get it changed. Not so easy for me to do since I am not the actual person that can do the change. I will email the one that can and try to change it so there will no longer be anything misleading or offencive to anyone.
    I will also apologise to you personally for offending you. Without actually saying it there is I suppose an inference to lying and there shouldn't be. My apologies to you, I am sorry.
    It matters not to me if I never sold another stick of lube in my life. What does matter to me is going through life gathering enemies, a thing I dont want to do.
    In the grand scheme of things boolit lubes have little bearing on what is important. I would rather focus on those things that are.
    If you do choose to attack me at every opportunity as I think you have said you will only be attacking my character since you have never actually tried my product it would have little to do with the actual usefullness of that product. If you wish to continue doing that its OK with me too. I am no more than just another less than perfect man and confess to many character flaws.
    My apologies to all!!!
    Blessings
    BIC/BS

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    John those handheld weather machines are a big help. Dick Savage always has his in his cart and makes notation in his log book of temp humidity etc. On the Sunday leg of the this past Sagebrush fouling control started needing a bunch more attention. When we got off the line Dick checked the machine, temp had jumped to 104 and humidity dropped to 12%. That's when a good wiping routine really starts to pay dividends.
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

That's when a good wiping routine really starts to pay dividends.
    A big Amen!
    And of course we could get into a long thread about what is best to apply to the patch.!
    Regards
    John

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    Yup the best wiping formula and technigque could fill volumes, and there's no wrong answer.
    I will throw in tho that in the conditions we generally shoot in out this direction, if 4 good deep breaths that leave visible droplets in the tube don't keep the fouling soft , it's best to put the tube away and get the wiping rod into action.
    I think most people just use the blow tube for a passifier and don't really stay hydrated enough to get the really moist breath from deep in the lungs.
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

Boolit Master
    **Bull Shop Mom here**
    Kenny - i am sorry to get invloved but you said *Let me clarify some thing, I do not care much for being called a liar, Linda Clendenin has NEVER WON A NATIONAL NRA EVENT or High Female in Silhouette or Long Range (she never has shot it) or Mid-Range She has never shot that either. She has only tried her hand at NRA Silhouette at Raton. I have the results for every year that they have ever attended and and prove it.*

here is the quote from our site * Dan has been casting bullets and loading ammo for over 25 years. This is a custom service, where you get what you want. Bull Shop products are used by competeters around the country, to achieve top scores in long range events, such as Lodi, Quiggly, Ratone, Montana long range championships, etc. Dan has experience with his products, and we use them almost daily, for fun and harvest. If you are not happy we are not happy.*

I see that Linda has won many national events, even the Quigley - I am sorry if Dan used the wrong terms - -- he just mentioned that we had people winning national matches *like* Raton - Quigley - Lodi - etc.and we have. Linda has won national matches (mabe not Raton) or come in in the top numbers, and she has used our lubes.

here a just a few of the results

Tina- Bull Shop Mom
    Ladies: 1. Linda Clendenen, Amidon, N.D., 42 hits; 2. Kathy Coates, Bowman, N.D., 38; 3. Marie Reich, Payson, Ariz., 35. http://billingsgazette.com/news/feat...cc4c03286.html

Winners (in open classes) were: match winner - fired with scope - Gregg Simon, Mobridge, S.D. 27 out of 40; 2nd - fired with a scope - Ray Hanson, Twin Valley, Minn., 24 of 40; 3rd - Rick Jorgenson , Devils Lake, 22 of 40 (iron sights); 4th - Collin Weisz, Washburn, 19 of 40; 5th - Linda Clendenen, Amidon, 19 of 40; 6th - Ronald (Butch) Clendenen 17 of 40. http://www.bismarcktribune.com/sport...69e99e47f.html

2010 Montana 1,000 Yard Match Results
    Target Target Target Target Total Total Total
    Place Name 1 2 3 4 1 & 2 3&4 Score
    1 Ron Vandenbrink 4 8 7 6 12 13 25
    2 Clint McRae 6 7 7 5 13 12 25
    3 Randy Ellingrod 8 7 8 2 15 10 25
    4 Linda Clendenen 10 6 4 5 16 9 25
    http://www.bpcr.net/forum/viewtopic....t=3712&start=0

Match Awards went to:
    High Overall: Linda Clendenen – 29/42
    2nd Overall: Gregg Simon - 27/42
    3rd Overall: Butch Clendenen – 23/42
    1st Senior: Butch Clendenen – 23/42
    1st Lady: Linda Clendenen – 29/42
    2nd Lacy: Cecile Wiechmann – 15/42

http://www.bpcr.net/site_docs-result...CR_results.htm
    Last edited by Bullshop; 10-06-2010 at 03:40 PM.

Boolit Master
    Bullshop,

There is only one Governing body that HOLDS NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS.

THE NRA.

QUIGLEY IS NOT A NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP VENUE IT IS A PASTURE SHOOT.

WHERE BP OR SMOKLESS IS ALLOWED.

I STAND BY MY STATEMENTS, LINDA HAS NEVER WON A NRA NATIONAL EVENT. They use smokless in their rifles at these matches-shoots. Which are matchces with no National governing board or ruling body.

its simple you dont know what a national championship event is.

Quigley or the montana 1000 yard matches are not national championship events.

We are talking two different animals, you really dont have a clue it would appear, as Raton, NRA requires BP ONLY.

However she has won the Q and been high lady there more then a few times, and Alliance and other matches she has even won my match. none of which are NRA events. I see she shot a 19 at the ND state silhouette match that is NRA Event but she did not win it.

These pasture shoots are not like Raton in any shape or form, I know I shoot both quite often.

KW
    The Lunger

I do accept your apology and perhaps I can test your lube.
    Last edited by Kenny Wasserburger; 10-06-2010 at 05:25 PM.

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    Kenny, please change "perhaps I can test your lube" to "I will be happy to test your lube". There is no need for these arguments, even though you are technically correct, Kenny. Everyone knows of your esteemed stature in the BP arena. ... felix
    felix

Boolit Master
    I am 55 years old and still not a day goes by that I dont learn something.
    Thanks for setting me straight.
    Now if you and Don are still watching would you prefer the lube in cake or stick?
    I will run a fresh batch for you and Don.

Boolit Master
    Felix,

your of course right, I screwed up that last statement.

After Rick aka waksupi, and Cajin, and yourself's statements.
    And some serrious thinking today while bouncing around the Powder river Breaks, I came up with some ideas.

I was looking at Steve Meacham's new lube Pump sizer and luber and was thinking this would be an excellent venue too test this lube, its just under $70 and I am willing to fork out that much for the tool and thus would not have to clean out either of my lubesizers, one holds SPG the Other White lighting Lube.

I am going to attempt to call Steve and see if I can get his 458 die and if he would knock out a .377 Die for my Tack Driver 38-50 which is my go to rifle at this time for Silhouette.

Swiss powder and a warm Dry day here would offer and excellent test venue. Also Dora my 25lb Sharps while a primary PP rifle, this would also offer an excellent test bed to try some Mono-Groove bullets that i used in my old 45-110 to win in 2006 at Raton.

Tubes would work best Bullshop. If I can get it soon enough before cold weather sets in. To give it a honest evaluation, I would give it a real honest effort and Test and would also like to take it to Phoneix next March for some playing at the Silhouette range.

KW
    The Lunger

Boolit Master

Talking

OK now we are getting somewhere. Somebody of known shooting ability with the means and known equipment to run the test.

Black Powder 100%

THANK YOU KENNY!!! Now we will have a test that we know is correct and have no doubt about the who did the input. I only wish that I could jump in my truck and pick up Felix on the way. We could even stop and bring Don also.

Boolit Master

This ought to be interesting........I wonder how KW likes his crow...medium or well.

SS
    NRA Life Member Since 1981

"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good"-- George Washington

II Corinthians 4:8-9. We are hard-pressed on every side, yet not crushed; we are perplexed, but not in despair; persecuted but not forsaken, struck down, but not destroyed."

Psalms 25:2 O my God, I trust in thee: let me not be ashamed, let not mine enemies triumph over me.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Boolit Master
    What ever are you talking about Sharpshooter?

KW
    The Lunger

Boolit Master
    Since time seems important I just packaged up what I had on the shelf and will get it off on our next trip to town, maybe today.
    I know the cold comes to the high plains not long after it comes here and we have been frozen for a couple weeks now. Not below zero yet but real close to it.
    Four hollow sticks each to Don and Kenny. That should be enough for about 1000 boolits for each of you.

cajun shooter
    I wana go too!

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast