Inline FabricationWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
RotoMetals2RepackboxLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Titan Reloading Reloading Everything
Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415

Thread: Lube test

Quote Originally Posted by Don McDowell View Post
    Bullshops Nasa is a great bp lube, and it does pretty fair work with smokeless handgun loads.
    +1 I now use it in my smokeless .455 reloads, works a treat.
    Don't follow me, I'm lost too!

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    Sagebrush gun cleaner and gun oil have been treating me really well, and if there does get to be a hint of lead a few quick passes with turpentine patches cleans that up in a hurry.
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

Decided I'd better get some lead downrange this week in case I get a chance to go to Ekalaka next weekend.
    So I loaded up some 40-82 rounds with Goex Fg and 4 different lubes.
    Figured I'd just as well to a little testing while I'm practicing.

Load 1. Nasa Lube
    Load 2. Shaver's Moly lube
    Load 3. Liotta's X ring
    Load 4. Lube # 19 ( homemade tallow & ozokerite )

Not sure I'll find anything out now that the weather has cooled down, but i just want to see how they each hold up blow tubing and if there is any difference in accuracy between them.
    Looks like Monday will be my chance to try them out.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Gentlemen: One year+ and 15 pages of posts later ... has there been a conclusion by anyone that their lube recipe ratio using Ozokerite is better that another recipe ratio using Ozokerite?

Why I'm asking? I currently use a 40:40:20 ratio of mutton tallow-paraffin and beeswax with an ounce of anhydrous lanolin. Lubing the bullets and then storing them for any length of time - the lube flakes off. This is a hindrance but I have had good fouling control in 30 and 90 degree weather using my current recipe for BPCR, BP CAS and smokeless lead reloads. But I have this pound bag of Ozokerite that I'm itching to try

Also got a pound of Microcrystalline wax that I would like to experiment with after searching for a suitable ratio recipe. Gonna search Shiloh Rifle because I believe Dan Theodore did some successful testing using Microcrystalline
    Last edited by John Boy; 11-18-2011 at 01:34 PM.
    Regards
    John

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    John, I believe Leadpot has done about as much testing of various lube recipes using other than beeswax as anybody, so search out his posts on this and the other boards about it also.
    There used to be some of Theodores lube recipes under that same tab on bpcr.net don't know if they're all still there or not.
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

My last batch of OZ wax worked good all summer. Not going on it any farther.

But I will say this. I have a bunch A BUNCH more then a 5 gallon bucket full of all the past lube voodoo mixes all mixed together Tallow, B wax, soy wax, OZ wax and some I cant remember and that Voodoo mix works good also
    I been giving blocks to the cowboy shooters for high score and they keep coming back for more

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    My last batch of OZ wax worked good all summer. Not going on it any farther.
    Kurt, after reading through all 15 pages on this thread, you didn't mention the ratios you were using for the OZ lune. Here's the closest wording I could find that you posted ...
    I used the tallow with the OZ and it works good but the higher temp the OZ takes to melt has a tendency to turn the mix to a tan color and the tallow tends to make a brown string like stuff floating in the mix if you over heat it. It does no harm and settles to the bottom fast when you pan lube.
    Just peanut oil and OZ works about as good as anything and it hydrates the best this way and it will hold when it gets hot.
    Is it a 50:50 mix of OZ and peanut oil or ?
    Would be most grateful if you would help me consume some of this Ozokerite that I have sitting on the work bench
    Regards
    John

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415