Reloading Everything Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Remedy for Lyman /RCBS Lube-sizer alignment issues

Boolit Master

Sad but true fix it the first time

guess I'm bad for using a quick fix myself

Boolit Master

New Casting

My 2 year old Lyman is extremely sloppy already, maybe 1000 bullets. Plus, I cranked before the lube had heated enough, and pulled the threaded rod right up through the casting. What a piece of junk the new Lyman sizers are. I called Lyman and they wanted $125 for a bare casting. I think the RCBS is a much better unit for wear as the ram is larger and has more surface area. The Saeco is even better. You get what you pay for. I have one of everything but a Star and I'm working on that to replace my worn out 4500 Lyman.
    "There's a Fine Line Between Hobby and Mental Illness"!

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by sergeant69 View Post
    also............when i found the "antique" RCBS luber/sizer i noticed that the o-ring that is on the "piston" that puts pressure on the lube stick is shot. are there replacements? THANKS
    Better yet call RCBS and they will send you one at no cost. Can't beat that
    GOD Help us Help OURSELVES, the United States of America

I can't believe it's been 6 years since I last replied to this thread! Lyman has some QC issues with regard to their sizers. My older RCBS and Lachmiller units are still working fine. I'm afraid Orange has lost me as a customer for most things.
    R J Talley
    Teacher/James Madison Fellow

Boolit Grand Master

I follow the instructions that RCBS has on their website about aligning the sizing die by using the top punch in the hole for the boolit. It works just fine as long as I can find the right top punch so it is the proper size. I also use the flat top nose punch if I can and this also helps with alignment issues.

I need a small diameter .308 flat top punch. Does anybody know the Lyman or RCBS part number for this?

Here's a tip: Lymans sizers use a center sleeve that has a concave end. This allows clearance for sprue bulge on bottom of some bullets and seals bullet better at bottom so no excessive lube gets on base of bullet. RCBS sleeves are machined flat.

Polishing inside sizer with 1200 grit paper will make sizing easier without deforming bullet. You can do this by wraping paper tape and sandpaper around dowel then spin in drill. Not much is needed to get mirror smooth
    Last edited by detox; 02-26-2013 at 10:20 AM.

Boolit Bub
    That works pretty good I've done it on some other loader for shots he'll primer on a single stage mec.

Boolit Grand Master

After stripping out the set-screw on my Lyman 450 , I read here about the Quick fix, sticky lube to hold punch in place, with a bit of skepticism . But , hey .....it works!
    The punch stays in the socket and aligns itself if the die is not centered.
    I'm all for Quick and Easy!
    Gary

Boolit Master
    Alignment was/is such a concern of mine that I use the Star luber anytime I can, although I have many more sizing dies for the RCBS/Lyman.

Boolit Master

I purchased a Lyman 450 used (a gray color), and had the same issue with alignment. The casting had worn to the point that I can not size anything, the ram has ~ .030 - .050 slop in it front to rear. Side to side is less than .005 slop. I just finished rebuilding it, I used a bronze oil-lite bushing in the casting and machined the ram to fit. I can now size without ruining even the longest 270 boolit. I also added a couple tapped holes in the bottom to hold the "pressure ring" in place, instead of the 15 or 20 prick-punch marks that where there. I just finished repainting the casting and re-blueing the linkage.
    Scott

You can easily judge the character of others by how they treat those who they think can do nothing for them.

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    Just ran across this old refurb thread by Keith (thePerfessor) and thought It needed tacked on to keep it from getting lost. Keith, your presence here is missed!

http://web.archive.org/web/201205250...berRebuild.htm
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Boolit Master

^^^^ I wish I had this to start with. ^^^^

Same process I went through, works out quite well.

Scott
    Scott

You can easily judge the character of others by how they treat those who they think can do nothing for them.

Boolit Bub
    The best advice I can give to you after casting at least 100,000 bullets is,,

Don't size them , .....rather, hand lube them.
    If a gas check, use the slip on type, not the crimp on.

If you must size, use an over size,,,,, size die, so it lubes only.

Seat the gas check with your fingers.

Best powder for cast bullets in rifles,, 2400.
    Best lead, wheel weights.
    Keep your velocities under 2200 fps in rifles with gas checks.
    Better 1800 fps.
    The best ctgs for cast bullets are: 30/30 Win., 32 Special, 35 Rem , 45/70...
    This is not rocket science.

My father bought his first and only sizer back in 1954, now its standing on my bench, still going strong.
    Oke i will be honest, we give an email rcbs several years ago, with some details.

They send us a new rod with that wheel to put pressure on the lube, some new rubbers and a new bold that holds the sizer die!!!!!
    But they would not replace his first casting mold, strange?(201gr 45 kt)
    It did a little more then a 100.00(sarcastic, sorry, could not resist) for my own shooting before i bought my own rcbs lubeasizer.
    I start with casting in the mid 80....we shot a lot.
    Even his junior press has no problems, and he was making 308 and 30-06 on that thing.

Sorry Lyman and lee, rcbs goes and works for me.

And its true, its not rocket science, it casting science.and that is about, just measuring some things.
    plus 1 for Robert but my powder what i use for cast 9 38 357 44sp 44mag 223 308 30-06 is d060 and d032

best

And what Elmer Kieth did, a new brass baring.
    Be gentle on your stuff it will last a long time

I have a Lyman 450 and I got it back in the mid 80's and did not have any problems with it all line up when set up and use. I only had to change a bolt that broke on the arm for the handle
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Master

I too have an older Lyman 450, bought in the mid 1970's . It's always worked well, has never had an alignment issue. Except with a new Lyman Size Die, bought last year. First one I've bought in 15yrs.

Complained to Lyman, the Cust. Serv. Girl I spoke too, could not understand the problem. She wanted me to send the size die back & they would check it out. I told her I would be home on the next Mon&Tues for UPS to show up with a call tag. Nope, send it at my expense. I asked to speak to her Supvr. He was at Lunch.

He did call me back. Offered to send out a new die, and a return Label for the old one.

Well I ended up with 2 new size dies. No doubt do to communication error. I called and asked to send back the extra die. I tried both 1st, they both lined up perfectly. He said not to bother.

I will say this however. I've seen many examples on you-tube of cross threaded sizer die locking nuts on both RCBS & Lyman Lube-Sizer's. I know from experience ( Had a friend without much patience ) that a cross-threaded lock nut will cause mis-alignment of Top Punch & Sizer-Die.

My DAD literally beat into my head as a teenager to take all the time necessary to thread the nut in CORRECTLY. So after 40+yrs later my Lube-Sizer is still sizing bullets with perfect alignment & the lock nut still threads smooth & straight.

But I wouldn't buy a new Lyman 4500 today. Or a bullet mold. Had experience of those too.

Probably why I bought a new Mold from N.O.E. Yesterday. Of a Lyman designed bullet. The old #452423.

If I could afford it I'd have a SAECO Lube-Sizer too.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Mold
    Maybe its just me, but it seems like things made 40 years ago just seemed to hold up better. Been using the same RCBS lube-sizer since mid 70"s and the only problem I have ever had was the O ring on the pressure gizmo that forces the lube into the die. Sent an e-mail to RCBS and got two new O rings in the mail at no cost. With the advent of e-mail it is amazing how much can be done, but have to give RCBS a thumbs up as well since they could have told me to buy my own after that long a time.
    Had a problem with an RCBS mold as well (my fault completely, did not properly adjust the screw on the sprue cutter, and just plain forgot to put a little piece of copper wire in there to lock it in place, so sheared off the screw. Told RCBS, again in an e-mail, that I screwed up (literally) but could get the seared part of the screw out. Asked where I could find a new screw since I did not see that particular item anywhere on the wide world of web. Again, got a new screw in the mail at no cost. Has worked flawlessly since then (I did put a piece of copper wire in the hole before I tightened the lock screw this time. Got to give RCBS credit for good customer service in a day and age where I really don't expect much anymore since it apparently has also become a antique along with me. I am getting a little old to be arguing with customer service reps who don't know what customer service is. I was in my 30's when I started casting in the mid 70"s. Hope I've gained a little wisdom with age as opposed to doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result. Some folks get a year of age every year where as others get a year of wisdom. Mine came from lots of mistakes. They didn't have a web back then...sure wish I had known about this site a lot sooner.

Vendor Sponsor

jwlegal " Maybe its just me, but it seems like things made 40 years ago just seemed to hold up better"
    no in a lot of cases things were made to last.. Now its to get them out the door and replaced in 3 to 6 years. Appliances and water heaters are this way for sure
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

My RCBS LAM 2 was misaligned from get go but being a new I didn't understand and replaced the die instead, I got Lyman die and it seemed at first to fix the problem but it didn't. Sizing flat top SWC was not a problem but 309 was crooked and 225 even worse. After struggling for a year I replaced it and the new one works as it should. Lesson learned if something doesn't work replace immediately while return window still applies.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast