Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingInline FabricationRepackbox
Load DataLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Wideners MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Collecting WW's

Perma-Banned

Collecting WW's

I am in the process of trying to get started casting, so I decided that I really needed to start trying to get some material to work with. I visited three local tire shops to inquire about wheel weights. I have spent $75.00 dollars in actual payments and I bought one shop manager a $10.00 Hardee's gift so he could buy himself a few biscuits on his way to work. I have a verbal commitment from them to get what they have in the future at the same price I paid this time. I am encouraged and will buy the "bounty" as long as possible.

Now I just have to get a few more items before getting my feet wet with smelting and casting.

BTW, this is a great site. Thanks
    Last edited by shoot-n-lead; 09-26-2010 at 05:38 PM.

Boolit Master

Soooooooooooooo, how much lead for 75 bucks?

Perma-Banned

Quote Originally Posted by home in oz View Post
    Soooooooooooooo, how much lead for 75 bucks?
    Sorry about that....

560 pounds of mixed wheel weights.........one place had a good many truck weights in the bucket.

You are doing great! Don't stop , you will find out at some point you still don't have enough.
    Crabo

Do not argue with idiots. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Perma-Banned

Quote Originally Posted by crabo View Post
    You are doing great! Don't stop , you will find out at some point you still don't have enough.
    Ya know, I have not cast a boolit yet and I already feel the addiction....no joke.

These shops had a little accumulation this time, but I still think they will be good for about 100# per month collectively.

Good price, even if you only get 65% useable stuff (about what I get out here now). Stay with it, they are only going to get harder to find going forward. IMO, 2yrs max on lead based ww, then it's all zinc & steel for the future.

shoot-n-lead,
    That a really good price for that much lead. I think you are really getting hooked already. I'm still a newbie compared to a lot of guys here but I'm stoked that I just past the ton mark on smelted ingots. My wife thinks I really have a problem that needs psychiatric attention.
    Welcome to the madness. jmsj

Boolit Master

best look out for the zinc.
    looks like 1 april 2011 lead is banded nation wide, that is what is posted on tire weight site ten states have a ban now

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by shotman View Post
    best look out for the zinc.
    looks like 1 april 2011 lead is banded nation wide, that is what is posted on tire weight site ten states have a ban now
    Figures . . . April Fool's day.

Rick
    "The people never give up their freedom . . . Except under some delusion." Edmund Burke

"Let us remember that if we suffer tamely a lawless attack on our liberty, we encourage it." Samuel Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member
    CRPA Life Member

Boolit Master
    We'll all be casting zinc boolits pretty soon. Mold manufacturers would be wise to heed this bit of information if they plan on staying in business.

Quote Originally Posted by chris in va View Post
    We'll all be casting zinc boolits pretty soon. Mold manufacturers would be wise to heed this bit of information if they plan on staying in business.
    Problem is zinc just doesn't fill a complicated form like a goroved bullet mold well. Fine for smooth paper patch maybe, but not fine detail. You'll be able to find lead to purchase from places like Rotometal, but the days of cheap/free are quickly winding down. Range lead will be about the only place to scrounge for free sooner than later.

Boolit Man
    Sometimes if you show 'em the pistola that yer makin' boolits for it makes 'em more amenable to charity in your direction, if ya' know what I mean.

Sounds like your plan is working okay.

Boolit Grand Master

I took my tire dealer a couple sculptures made by my drip-o-matic to use as paper weights, for when the door behind him opens. That and a couple boolits really interested him. Now a pizza every couple months asures me of a steady WW supply.

Perma-Banned

I always seem to get in on the end of most anything that I do.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by shoot-n-lead View Post
    I always seem to get in on the end of most anything that I do.
    That's funny. Sad, but funny.

Rick
    "The people never give up their freedom . . . Except under some delusion." Edmund Burke

"Let us remember that if we suffer tamely a lawless attack on our liberty, we encourage it." Samuel Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member
    CRPA Life Member

I was sitting at my local Chilis (at the bar of course) and met a guy who was a part owner of a tire shop. I showed him my "boolit jewlery" which was a couple of .50 round ball with a .308 in the middle (use your imagination, think male genatelia) on eyelets with a of leather strap which I use to carry my keys on. He love it and said if I would make him a set he would give me a 5 gal. bucket of lead. Three days later he had 2 sets and I had the lead. Cast 119 ingots out of it when done. I've had lots of comments, all positive, on the combination I put together. Saved me a bit of moolah by trading for lead plus met a new friend. Course giving him (and his 2 friends) a shot of Tenn. moonshine in the parking lot may have helped some. Either way, I'm happy. Eyelets are cheap compared to pizzas or doughnuts.

Boolit Man
    Well, ****. I need to get hustling then. I've struck out so far, but I'm going to have to be buying some tires soon...maybe I can use a potential $6-800 sale to get some leverage on a request for wheel weights.

Perma-Banned

Quote Originally Posted by dunkel View Post
    Well, ****. I need to get hustling then. I've struck out so far, but I'm going to have to be buying some tires soon...maybe I can use a potential $6-800 sale to get some leverage on a request for wheel weights.

Bingo! If you have 2 vehicles.....that equals 2 tire shops...!
    Last edited by shoot-n-lead; 10-02-2010 at 02:55 AM.

Boolit Master on Heaven’s Range
    slim1836,dunkel,&shoot-n-lead.
    Welcome to the forum.
    This is where you can ask any and all questions,
    and do not be afraid you will get laugh at.
    The foks here have the saying down pat.
    Been their , Done that!
    Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy!
    Ben Franklin

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dunkel View Post
    This is how I am getting started. My truck needs a set of tires. So I stop by each place strike up conversation and get a quote from them then spring the wheel weight question on them. So far I have one place that will sell them for $.20/lb, one place that charges $10/5gallon bucket and one place that gives them away. Of course the place that gives them away usually has very few but hey they are free. They also had the lowest tire estimate too.