Load DataLee PrecisionWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationRepackboxRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Reloading Everything Snyders Jerky

Thread: ?WalMart turkey fryer?

Boolit Master

?WalMart turkey fryer?

Are those turkey deep fryers that WalMart sells strong enough to hold say a 50 pound lead pot? I was going to get one the other day, but it looked kind of flimsy.
    Qajaq59

One slow hit is better then 500 quick misses. "It ain't the noise that kills 'em!!!!"

I have one of the Walmart turkey fryers. It's strong enough to hold 60# (most I've had on it). I wouldn't use the aluminum pad that comes with it. I did my first load in that. The heat and weight of 20# of lead made the pot stag over the grid. Quickly replaced with a cast iron dutch oven.

Boolit Master
    The thing to watch out for is the ones that have the little electrinic control plunbed into the regulator. I have one and I have to reset it every several munutes. Its a safety device and a royal pita. I wanted to bypass it but they have weired threads and I couldn't find any fittings to adapt the burner to a different regulator.
    I may just cut and splice the hose.
    Sent from my PC with a keyboard and camera on it with internet too.
    Melting Stuff is FUN!
    Shooting stuff is even funner

L W Knight

Boolit Master
    Now I'm glad I asked. I have a 30# cast iron pot. But I didn't know about the safety regulator. I'll look at it more closely.
    Thanks Guys
    Qajaq59

One slow hit is better then 500 quick misses. "It ain't the noise that kills 'em!!!!"

Boolit Master

I use a fish fryer that is similar to a turkey fryer. I used it for the first time a couple of weeks ago with my cast iron dutch oven. It worked great! It has a cast iron burner and on the regulator it has a control knob that you can use to adjust the flame. It also came with an aluminum pot that I would not use for the kind of heat needed to melt lead. You might watch for one, it was less money than a turkey fryer ($45.00) and I would think work just as well.

Skeet1

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by lwknight View Post
    The thing to watch out for is the ones that have the little electrinic control plunbed into the regulator. I have one and I have to reset it every several munutes. Its a safety device and a royal pita. I wanted to bypass it but they have weired threads and I couldn't find any fittings to adapt the burner to a different regulator.
    I may just cut and splice the hose.
    Been there, done that, have pics.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=73178

-HF

Boolit Master
    Been there, done that, have pics.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=73178

-HF
    Post #11 by 7 of 7 saves the day. Hot diggedy dog!!
    I will be taking that stupid thing apart within this very hour.
    Melting Stuff is FUN!

L W Knight

Boolit Buddy
    I use a Camp Chef brand that is rated at 60,000 btu.I use a Dutch oven that I think is 5 quart.It holds just about 70lbs.It works very well.

Got mine from Wally World online , King Kooker , it has four legs , shortened them up a little for my use tho .
    58,000 btu , strong enough for my home made pot that's almost couple hundred pounds full ....
    very stable and the legs are removable as is the shroud so it stores nicely..online right now at $54.00 ...
    digger
    Last edited by Digger; 05-07-2011 at 07:03 PM.

59, I bought mine on end of season sale at Lowe's for twenty bucks (no pot).

http://goatlipstips.cas-town.com/smelting.html

Before firing it up I stood on top of it and jumped up and down. Now I trust it with my hide.

Goatlips

Boolit Master
    Well.. that stupid safety timer was easy to fix. I just unscrewed the bottom of the switch and pulled the rubber stopper off and the spring came with it.
    Then I cut the wire and the little plastic bands that hold the switch controller
    and tossed all that in the garbage. It works great now.
    Melting Stuff is FUN!

L W Knight

Boolit Master
    I'm in the market for a turkey fryer, but I really only have one source for them where I'm currently located - the PX. I anticipate buying one and setting it aside for my return to the States. I'm going to do some load-testing of the stand, and have a local welding shop reinforce it if necessary. That sort of work is inexpensive here, so I should be able to get any reinforcement done for less than twice the cost of the entire unit - unlike what it would cost in the States!!
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.