Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Load DataLee Precision
Repackbox Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Heads up guys!

Heads up guys!

I ran out of lube in one of my lube-sizers, so I went to melt some more home-made moly lube to pour in. Like I have done many times before, I took my Pyrex measuring cup with moly-lube in it and put it in the microwave for 2 minutes to warm it up while I took the brass out of the tumbler (it usually takes 4-5 minutes to melt the lube, but I like to warm things up slowly to avoid "hotspots"). Before the lube even got much of a chance to even start to melt, the Pyrex measuring cup literally exploded into hundreds of little pea-sized pieces. I have no idea why. Pyrex shouldn't do this, but the bottom-line is it did. I will be switching over to a small crock pot for making and melting my lube from here on out.
    Glen

Boolit Master

Pyrex used to be a Corning product but in recent years they (Corning) sold the name to a Chinese company that now sells "Pyrex" brand glassware through Wal-Mart here in the US the new Chinese stuff is **** as is nearly everything from the PRC.

Banned

sounds like someone could start making the 'old pyrex formula' under a diff name and steal market share.

Moderator Emeritus

I have been keeping mine in a heavy plastic cover that beef or chicken bullion base came in from Costco. It melts easily in a microwave and has a good seal on the top.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

The wonderful old original 1930s Pyrex borosilicate glass was discontinued almost 40 years ago. In about 1972 I noticed all of a sudden that PYREX cookware, measuring cups, etc, were marked "NOT FOR OVEN OR STOVE TOP USE". I have some old PYREX measuring cups I got from when my grandma died that I can boil water in on a gas flame, but you don't dare do that with that new $#!+ that replaced real PYREX.

Keep your eyes open at thrift stores/Salvation Army/Goodwill for laboratory glassware marked KYMAX. Kymax is one of the truly heat and flame-proof glass formulations that replaced original Pyrex borosilicate glass that coffee pots and oven roasting trays used to be made from, but if you want to buy new Kymax lab ware be prepared for sticker shock at what Kymax retails for - a coffee cup size beaker is around $30. My chemistry lab glassware is almost all Kymax, but I do have some 60 year old beakers and Erlenmeyer flasks that are marked "Pyrex" that I inherited from my father's chem lab 25 years ago when he retired. That 60 year old stuff is the original formulation and is totally heat proof.

rl847
    Last edited by Linstrum; 09-27-2010 at 01:21 AM.
    ~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+
    There is no such thing as too many tools, especially when it comes to casting and reloading.
    Howard Hughes said: "He who has the tools rules".

Safe casting and shooting!

Linstrum, member F.O.B.C. (Fraternal Order of Boolit Casters), Shooters.com alumnus, and original alloutdoors.com survivor.

I was trying to melt Carnuba Red to pour into my Star and mine also kaboomed. I have since bought a heater.

In Remembrance - Super Moderator & Official Cast Boolits Sketch Artist

well its like the coffee pots you can melt wax in them but you got to do it slow if not crack not the best thing but they sure are handy to pour out of.
    Reloading to save money I am sure the saving is going to start soon

Boolit Grand Master

Glen;
    Thanks for the heads up. I am not a great fan of melting bullet lube in the microwave.

My preference is to use a double boiler (mine is simply a sauce pan full of water with a large (OLD MODEL) Pyrex large capacity pitcher/cup sitting in the water). It assures me of no hotspots and I KNOW that no where in the pot will I be exceeding the boiling point of water.

FWIW
    Dale53

Boolit Master

This may explain a lot

As I lost 2 pyrex brand 13x9x2 baking pans recently when I put frozen food in the dish's in the microwave to thaw

Both were replacments for older ones that I had droped

I just looked at Walmart's web site and they claim pyrex brand baking dishs are still made in the USA
    Assembled in Country of Origin: USA
    Origin of Components: USA
    Wal-Mart No.: 001499241

John
    Yea, thou I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for thou art with me; Thy rod and thy staff, they comfort me.
    And I carry a LOADED Hell Cat

Boolit Master
    I use the melt it in boiling water as well. It may take longer, but the mircowave spooks me when I'm melting waxes.
    Qajaq59

One slow hit is better then 500 quick misses. "It ain't the noise that kills 'em!!!!"

Boolit Master

I blew up a bowl a while back.

SWMBO was not amused.

Pretty even coating of food and glass over all the inside of the micro wave.

Boolit Master

I've been using a coffee mug to melt 50/50 in the microwave, and have not had a problem.

SWMBO would not be pleased if I blew bullet lubricant all over inside her microwave, so I think I am going to stop.

CDD

Boolit Master
    It could get pretty dangerous if it blew just as you opened the door.
    Qajaq59

One slow hit is better then 500 quick misses. "It ain't the noise that kills 'em!!!!"

Banned

Wow, I'll stop immediately, Thanks Glen.

I've been using two different Pyrex brand measuring cups, one fairly new and one about 12 years old, both purchased at Wal-Mart (I'm certain). I thought the newer one looked kinda cheesy, and the measuring lines aren't quite accurate.

Someone here keeps recommending the candle warmer trick, just put the container on there a couple of hours in advance, I've tried it and it works fine, looks like I need to be doing that exclusively now.

Gear

it takes me a while to do, but i melt my home made lube in a small stainlss steel cup over the top of a candle (of all things) with a skirt around the bottom of the cup. the flame is about 2 " away from the bottom of the pan. i am sitting at the loading bench doing other jobs (obviously not powder chores) and as soon as it starts to melt, i keep stirring it. works for me, and i keep all of this stuff out of the kitchen, which keeps the missus happy.
    Silver and Gold are for rich men. Lead and Brass is MY silver and gold! And when push comes to shove, one of my silver and gold pieces will be more valuable than a big pile of actual silver and gold.

I've been using recycled jars. Like spaghetti sauce jars. No issues yet. Plus they are free for the washing.

Never had a problem with my double boiler.
    Douglas, Ret.

In Remebrance

Quote Originally Posted by Linstrum View Post
    The wonderful old original 1930s Pyrex borosilicate glass was discontinued almost 40 years ago. In about 1972 I noticed all of a sudden that PYREX cookware, measuring cups, etc, were marked "NOT FOR OVEN OR STOVE TOP USE". I have some old PYREX measuring cups I got from when my grandma died that I can boil water in on a gas flame, but you don't dare do that with that new $#!+ that replaced real PYREX.

Keep your eyes open at thrift stores/Salvation Army/Goodwill for laboratory glassware marked KYMAX. Kymax is one of the truly heat and flame-proof glass formulations that replaced original Pyrex borosilicate glass that coffee pots and oven roasting trays used to be made from, but if you want to buy new Kymax lab ware be prepared for sticker shock at what Kymax retails for - a coffee cup size beaker is around $30. My chemistry lab glassware is almost all Kymax, but I do have some 60 year old beakers and Erlenmeyer flasks that are marked "Pyrex" that I inherited from my father's chem lab 25 years ago when he retired. That 60 year old stuff is the original formulation and is totally heat proof.
    rl847
    Amazing the way we "make things better" isn't it? Totally OT but I find the same thing with tools. I have several pitch forks. I have one hay for that's a wonder of lightness, perfect temper and proper tine length. It hung in our garage for at least 25 years and my Dad said it was there when he bought the place in '61. So probably it dates from the last time cows or horses were kept in the "garage", a converted barn. So it dates from WW2. I've never seen but one to come close and that a NOS fork the local Agway dealer gave me last year. It had been in the corner of that store since the early to mid 60's and never sold because of the short handle, which was just what I was looking for so my kids could use it. Original price- $1.25.

Progress is regressive sometimes.

In Remembrance
    Glad I live in Texas where I don't have to heat up my lube too often.

I've just never been able to warm up (ha ha--pun, get it?) to heating my lube and then pouring it in my lubesizer. I tried it once and when I went to pour the molten lube into the sizer, I didn't exactly aim it right and it ran down the side of the lubesizer, off the reloading bench top and down on my right cowboy boot, which to this day has a big splotchy reddish stain to it.

I just make lube sticks, then put them in the lubesizer as needed. Depending on which lube I'm using, I'll rig up my homemade heater for the lube to flow.

Safer on my cowboy boots that way.

I'm that candle warmer guy. The things are DESIGNED to melt wax slowly and safely. What more can you ask? I use one for my 45/45/10 tumble lube mixing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast