RepackboxLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Load Data Wideners

Thread: making cast bullets from odds and ends

making cast bullets from odds and ends

As I have posted about using wheel weights befor,I would like to know what I will likely get from mixing the WW's with soft lead..I have a sharps rifle and a trapdoor that I would like to cast for..So how would I mix the two alloys for bullets..I have heard they should be around 1 to 30 or 1 to 40,but this is with tin and I have no tin except whats in the WW's...So tell me some methods to use if you know of any..A friend of mine said go 50-50...But I wasn't to sure of that..Seems to sound on the hard side yet..Maybe not though.Thanks a lot ..

Boolit Grand Master

For cartridge rifles you can go straight ww with no problem. ACWW are soft enough to bump up even under BP velocities. I shot the Lyman 458125 in ACWW out of an original Trapdoor with no problem, thumb seated in an unsized case. I shoot the RCBS 40-400 in ACWW with no problem in my 40-70BN Sharps.

To soften them to 50-50 would make them more likely to expand on game, but is unnecessary for target shooting.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

http://www.pnjresources.com/Hardness...d%20Alloys.htm

Indicates 30/1 and WW are about the same hardness. I have not tried WW for BPCR, but some have reported good results. I had always been under the impression WW was harder than 30/1 (etc) and unsuitable for BP.
    Have mercy.
    A haw, haw, haw, haw, a haw.
    A haw, haw, haw

Thumbs up

Wills and All,

Thanks for the replys and for a copy of the hardness chart..I was surprised to see that 40 to 1 is that hard..Perhaps I will try it in the trapdoor rifle..No,infact I will try it..

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Wills: For BPC rifles with shallow grooves use WW's. The harder bullets obturate better. As for leading using WW's - my rifles show little signs of it. And when they do ... a good scrubbing with an oversized bronze brush cleans the lands nicely.

An example is my 38-55 rifle with 0.002" grooves. The WW's produce good groups out to 300yds.
    Regards
    John

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    The garden variety WW's are the clip on type. This type run between 12-14 Bhn... 96.456% Pb

The Strip WW's (adhesive backing) are the only ones that have a Bhn of 9 ... 98.144%Pb

Be sure to seperate the 2 types when melting WW's in the pot.
    Regards
    John