RepackboxInline FabricationRotoMetals2Lee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataWidenersTitan Reloading
Snyders Jerky Reloading Everything

Thread: pure lead? fps

Boolit Buddy

pure lead? fps

I have a question. What is the max velocity that you (or I) can shoot pure lead?

I am looking at M/L bullets and blackhorn powder site and they list a 350 grain FPb slug at up to 1900~ fps. and I am wondering about leading. If I were to shoot a sabot then I may get plastic "leading", (would that be called plasting). I had placed this in the M/L area, and only got one reply, talking about pressure curve difference between black and smokless powders, which I understand. What about velocity?
    BD

Quote Originally Posted by bigdog454 View Post
    If I were to shoot a sabot then I may get plastic "leading", (would that be called plasting).
    BD
    Yep - you sure do, just like you get in a shotgun with the plastic shot cups. Normally that cleans out a LOT easier then lead.

I know that I get about 1400 FPS out of my TC Renegade with a 470 gr maxi out of pure lead. I don't see or feel much leading after 10 or 15 shots. I use Natural Lube 1000 and the fouling stays soft and I think that keeps the leading down. The leading comes out with the hot soapy water bath and stiff bore brush it gets.
    Big Bore = 45+

Boolit Master
    Have patience. Many readers only come by every few days or so.
    I don't have much experience with soft lead other than Paper Patching my 44 mag to 1500 fps with no problems and great accuract.

As far as the sabots go , the 30-06 22 to 30 sabots do OK at 4000 fps where plasting is concerned. Accuracy is blaaah though in that caliber.

Maybe plasting will be coined a new term LOL.
    Sent from my PC with a keyboard and camera on it with internet too.
    Melting Stuff is FUN!
    Shooting stuff is even funner

L W Knight

I don't shoot pure lead much past 1000fps, but 25-1 alloy seems good to 1400fps so far in certain calibers (45-70, 44mag)

Statesville, North Carolina...too close to Charlotte
    A couple of years ago I did some testing with the Lee C309-150-RN/FP boolit cast of pure. Taking into consideration this is a gas checked boolit, I found that accuracy went south quickly after 1500 fps or so. Up to that point, accuracy was wonderful. The gas checked base may have prevented gas cutting or some other issues, so I cannot hope to guess how the plain base version would fare. BTW- the rifle was a Marlin 336 chambered in 30-30 with Micro-Groove rifling.
    "Ignorance is the parent of fear."-Herman Melville