WidenersLee PrecisionRepackboxInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataTitan Reloading
Reloading Everything Snyders Jerky
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Lee Pro1000 vs Dillon 550/650

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hunter64 View Post

For you Dillon 550 reloaders, can you see the powder in the case at station 2 or 3 or do you have to stand up and look forward to see if there is powder in there? I have never run a 550 and the stuff on youtube seems to show different angles and it is hard to tell. The guy says he checks the powder but you don't see him doing it so I have no idea if he has to lean way over or is it just a glance.
    i stand when i use my 550's. yes the powder is visible.

but remember i always use a powder load that is 50% or more of case capacity....a double will stop one from seating a bullet..and is very obvious.

mike in co
    only accurate rifles are interesting

Boolit Grand Master

keyhole;
    I have two 550B's. I would have about one or two out of a hundred primers that wanted to seat upside down or sideways. I analyzed the problem and discovered the cause. When you use the pick up tubes filled with primers, the last primer is held by the pick up "fingers". When you turn the tube upside down, there is a space between the last primer and the one above it. This allows the last primer to turn in the tube and it either goes sideways or upside down.

The solution is when you finish picking up the last primer, BEFORE you turn the tube upside down (to the position you use to fill the primer tube on the press) you use the primer follower rod to gently raise the last primer so that it is against the primer above it. Maintaining this position, THEN turn the primer tube over. The weight of the primers above them will keep all primers in position. I use a pint jar to store the loaded primer tubes to keep them positioned correctly (one behind each press).

Since I started doing this, I almost NEVER have a primer out of position.

The other tip is to keep the channel clean (where the primer arm rides). I keep a clean glue brush handy to just brush it from time to time (no need to disassemble).

I hope that you can follow the above - it has made life MUCH easier on the Dillon.

I am a BIG fan of the Dillon 550B.
    Dale53

Aint no perfect presses or you would never see a negitive post about the perfect one .
    As you can see one that works great and is the best for one guy is the same one others have problems with.
    Havent had any primer problems with the LNL and havent had to mess with the timing.
    Just set up another LNL a week or so ago and it worked like a champ right out of the box, no adjustments and fed primers flawlessly.
    Doesnt mean they are all perfect out of the box but again neither are the Dillons, RCBS, Lee or what ever
    My neighbor has Dillons "1000, 1050, 550's and he's had a few problems I'm aware of, whats really a kicker is he doesnt like the 650 and doesnt have one now?
    I'm happy with the LNLs I'm sure I would be just as happy with a 650 as well but either could have problems or work great right off the bat.

Bob

Banned

Bob has a point. Ive yet to find a press, even a 1050 dillon that was a 100 percent trouble free. they all have there quirks. Some more then others though. Most have a learning curve to them again some more then others. When i got my first hornady i stuggled a bit and was beginning to think it was just another red ***. With a little tweaking and some experience for the most part now all three of the ones i have a trouble free. One of them seems to take alot more efford to seat primers then the other two but if you know it its no big deal. Is it as trouble free as a 650? probably not but its a far cry from a lee and cheaper then the 650. Just like the 650 probably isnt as reliable as a 1050 but for half the money its a pretty good press. Theres no doubt that in loading gear just like about anything else you get what you pay for. If my buget was unlimited id have a 1050 set up in every pistol caliber i use and one in 223 and 308 too. But that isnt happening in this lifetime. I do believe at least for me though that if i couldnt afford at least a lnl for a progressive press id just load on a single stage or a turrent press. The lees and even the rcbs progressives are just to frustrating for me.

Has anyone tried using a RCBS Lockout die in station 3 on a 550 machine?

I am paranoid about missing a case with out powder or worse double charging and I always use the lockout die on my other reloaders.

I know you guys say that you can see the powder in the case by sitting up in the chair or using a small mirror on the machine but just kind of wondering out loud here.

If the lockout die was in in station 3 then you would have to seat and crimp in station 4. Then seat the bullet before advancing to station 4 (from 3) or seat the bullet with your right hand at station 4.
    Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch.
    Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. -Benjamin Franklin, 1759

To Dale53

Thanks for the tips about priming on a 550. I used both last night when using the 550B. I've kept a large artists brush nearby to sweep out debris.
    I am going to have to call Dillon customer service. I spent an hour loading 100 rds of .45 ACP last night. Experienced the same series of issues with priming that I have had, more or less, since buying the machine.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by keyhole View Post
    To Dale53

Thanks for the tips about priming on a 550. I used both last night when using the 550B. I've kept a large artists brush nearby to sweep out debris.
    I am going to have to call Dillon customer service. I spent an hour loading 100 rds of .45 ACP last night. Experienced the same series of issues with priming that I have had, more or less, since buying the machine.
    ok i have a very simple question ......

why haven't you talked to dillon ??

if you have an issue fix it or get with them and fix it.....seems kinda silly to talk about an issue on these boards if one has not asked the maker for help....

mike in co

Quote Originally Posted by hunter64 View Post
    For you Dillon 550 reloaders, can you see the powder in the case at station 2 or 3 or do you have to stand up and look forward to see if there is powder in there? I have never run a 550 and the stuff on youtube seems to show different angles and it is hard to tell. The guy says he checks the powder but you don't see him doing it so I have no idea if he has to lean way over or is it just a glance.
    I stand, so iI can see the powder. I also rigged up a small light to light up the area.
    http://picasaweb.google.com/donudel/...32253391732194

Don

Quote Originally Posted by mike in co View Post
    ok i have a very simple question ......

why haven't you talked to dillon ??

if you have an issue fix it or get with them and fix it.....seems kinda silly to talk about an issue on these boards if one has not asked the maker for help....

mike in co
    Why is it silly to talk about the issues on this forum if it's blue, but if it's red...

"all i have seen was based on the poor engineering/poor out put....vs quality out put/factory support and long term investment......"

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by UNIQUEDOT View Post
    Why is it silly to talk about the issues on this forum if it's blue, but if it's red...

"all i have seen was based on the poor engineering/poor out put....vs quality out put/factory support and long term investment......"
    duh....

lets see dillon has great customer support for thier presses...they deal with them all the time...i would say they have more experience that some, maybe all the people here.....
    since it cost nothing ..it comes with ownership...why ask us the amatures when the pros are available......

the difference is red lee suff is not well supported technically, not as well enginerred and thus you have guys publishing stuff on how to make thier stuff work....

you have it right its as clear as night and day....

mike in co

duh....

lets see dillon has great customer support for thier presses...they deal with them all the time...i would say they have more experience that some, maybe all the people here.....
    since it cost nothing ..it comes with ownership...why ask us the amatures when the pros are available......

the difference is red lee suff is not well supported technically, not as well enginerred and thus you have guys publishing stuff on how to make thier stuff work....

you have it right its as clear as night and day....

mike in co
    Lee has great customer support as well, of course you don't pay up front for a lifetime warranty either. How many times do Lee bashers ask people to contact lee when they ask a question on these forums? Never because they would rather bash! As far as the engineering goes... I would think Dillon is best in that department but when someone does get ahold of a lemon why try to hush them up because they make blue look bad? Hornady is doing a pretty good job of making the blue look like a lot less for the money as it is. BTW my next press will likely be a 550b.

Boolit Master
    Lee has great customer support as well, of course you don't pay up front for a lifetime warranty either. How many times do Lee bashers ask people to contact lee when they ask a question on these forums? Never because they would rather bash! As far as the engineering goes... I would think Dillon is best in that department but when someone does get ahold of a lemon why try to hush them up because they make blue look bad? Hornady is doing a pretty good job of making the blue look like a lot less for the money as it is. BTW my next press will likely be a 550b.
    i would say OUR views of lee, its quality and support are influenced by the EXTREMELY POOR SERVICE, POOR QUALITY AND LACK OF SUPPORT we have recieved on lee group buy moulds....

i own three lee presses...one is thier original 3 hole turret....

but i USE two dillon 550b's.......

i USE two dillon 550b's.......
    Is primer depth adjustable on the 550 or is dependent entirely on feel?

Boolit Man
    Make me an offer I can't refuse and I will take your Loadmaster if it is in good condition.
    Send me a PM
    Alan in WI

Banned

Gear

Banned

it's adjustable.
    theres a set screw on the side of the primer arm carrier.
    you can also seat by feel on a dillon.
    my first 550 gave me a few problems with the primer feeder, turns out i had the little washer/spacer under the feeder, and not on the bottom acting as a washer for the cap screws.
    biggest problem i have ever had with a dillon except dirt where it didn't belong.
    give em a call the worst that could happen is you have to send it to them for repair.

Boolit Master
    Is primer depth adjustable on the 550 or is dependent entirely on feel?
    why....
    primers should be seated till bottomed, and then a small crush in place...the dillon does that.

Smile

.......don't stop now, it just gets better and better....gear, ya wanta pass some of that popcorn...
    Last edited by 1bluehorse; 10-20-2010 at 01:04 PM. Reason: wanted some popcorn

it boils down to what i use not what i prefer or what i think everyone should have , in the end every press can and will make loaded rounds depending upon the operator their desire to do so as well as their aptitude ( the last is most telling ....) , there is no doubt that a hiway is smoother than a dirt road but a hiway wont always take ya where u want to go ( at least around here ) yet much akin to this thread both are roads but no comparison , those who wish to compare the two or actually try to are as i stated before "trying to compare apples to oranges" no matter which press u blow hard about ur still blowing ( also very telling )

why....
    primers should be seated till bottomed, and then a small crush in place...the dillon does that.
    That is one of the things i like about the loadmaster. I can adjust the seating depth and never have to feel the primers being seated and set. My interest in the 550b is for rifle cartridges. Let me ask an honest opinion here... Is the 550b capable of producing top grade rifle ammo? only asking about hunting grade accuracy. I honestly can't tell the difference between hunting rifle ammo whether it's loaded on my turret, or loadmaster. I rarely load anything on my ss anymore because it's just too slow! I am thinking that a 550b would be a fast alternative to my cc turret for rifle ammo...or am i just looking for another excuse to buy something i really don't need!