Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingLoad Data
Inline FabricationWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lets talk Contender lock bolts again (with pics)

Boolit Master
    Talk to SSK, they were helpful to me.
    Leadmelter
    MI

Boolit Buddy
    Since we are talking about locking problems i recently purchased a new G2 frame. Tried it on 17 barrels most all with the newer split bolts and only 5 would allow the hammer to be cocked. Some would not even close up. Called T C and they said send it back with one of the barrels that would not work. They said they had no locking bolts to send me to try and did not know when they would have any. I sent it in with a barrel and have called them and found out nothing. They have had it over a month now.I never even fired it while i had it. Loosing faith in them. Not the same TC as before S&W took over.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tctender View Post
    Since we are talking about locking problems i recently purchased a new G2 frame. Tried it on 17 barrels most all with the newer split bolts and only 5 would allow the hammer to be cocked. Some would not even close up. Called T C and they said send it back with one of the barrels that would not work. They said they had no locking bolts to send me to try and did not know when they would have any. I sent it in with a barrel and have called them and found out nothing. They have had it over a month now.I never even fired it while i had it. Loosing faith in them. Not the same TC as before S&W took over.
    I fear the Contender if not all of TC is going the way of the dodo. I've been going to a public range over the last year and a half and every time I take my Contender there is someone who will ask, "What is that"? Four or five years ago Stan Trzonic (Sp?) did an article on a G2 Contender, that is the last I've seen in print on a Contender and it was at least that much in time before that article that I'd seen anything else written up about the Contender. I remember when one couldn't pick a gun rag up without seeing an article spoutin' off about some new fangled wildcat for the pistol. Sometimes i hate the self defense craze that has hit the gun industry. So many other aspects of handgun shooting are being pushed to the wayside.

Perma-Banned
    I have 2 "G1" frames. 3 bbls: 222 14"blue, 35 rem 14" stainless , 50 cal Mz. The 222 works fine on both. The 35 would not lock on either. I stoned the top of the bolts (stone and try over and over), now it works fine. The 50 had a pin on the bottom of the barrel lug to prevent it working in a "G1" frame. Dremel fixed that, now works fine. IMO rushing to buy new bolts is silly until you try fitting them. A fine flat stone, a candle and patience is all you need.

The Encore and Contender are alive and well I think. S&W just needs to put a little more effort into maintaining T/C. Either way, there is great support from TC Addicts and Mike Bellm.

shoe

Boolit Buddy
    I have 5 contender frames all my barrels (over 20) fit on. I hate to mess up the fit trying to get them to fit the new g2. Will see what S&W( since its there call now not TC) says about the g2 before i try any stoning but may before its all over.

Perma-Banned
    Why would you bother with the G2 ? I have found no demonstratable advanges to it.

Boolit Buddy
    Got the g2 back today. Seems to work on the three i tried. They did not say what they did.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dressing bolt sm.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	35.6 KB 
ID:	307476
    from Bellm's archives
    E. Arthur Brown has 'em for $50!
    Check with SSK Industries, J.D. is more reasonable

Boolit Buddy
    One of the things that seem to be bypassed is that you need to close the action with some authority, if you close it gently the locking lug could stop before doing it's job, at least thats how it goes with several of my barrels.
    "People in Arizona carry guns," said Detective David Ramer, a Chandler police spokesman. You better be careful about who you are picking on...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12