MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
WidenersRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingLoad Data
Repackbox Snyders Jerky

Thread: >416 cal. PP mould came!!!

In Remembrance

>416 cal. PP mould came!!!

YES!!! Paint me pink and color my toenails! My custom .416 paper patch mold came! After an agonizing wait I finally have it. It will drop in the 385 gr. range I`m told using 50/50 alloy. Of course different lead alloys will yield a different weight range. Now I just have to feel healthy enough to get to the casting barn and make up a pile of them then patch them and load a few for further destroying my range sidehill.Robert

Boolit Master
    Who spun the mould for you?
    Some where between here and there.....

In Remembrance

Richard Doughty did the mold for me. We collaberated on the design that was finally made. Being a one man mould maker shop I bided my time and was rewarded with a very nicely made mold. Richard contributes on this site on occasion.Robert

Boolit Bub
    Robert --- congrats on new mold --- can you post pics of cast or of your mold itself? Did you go for round nose or a flat nose?

I have my 416 Taylor up and running but have yet to really pursue paper patch with it, was hoping to get something ready for hunting seasons now upon us. I made a crude paper patch mold on my lathe while waiting for the special order bbl., and tried casting a few with the alloy I already had in the pot - really just about pure lead. They appeared to slump the nose and leaded the bbl after a couple of shots. Will be trying some wheel weights in next trials, or pure with tin added.

With the 350 grain Hawk spitzers it is very accurate, getting about 2" group at 200 yds. Sure very happy with the caliber!!!---Bob.

Wow!............

In Remembrance

abob. Actually I just recieved 2 molds from Richard that are paper patch designed. The first is of course the .416 and the other is a .338 dia. The 416 design is a semi spitzer with very shallow ring grooves to better hold the patch and weighs in at 385 gr. we collaberated on this design that he has tried on other cal. and found to work nicely. The bullet literally falls out of the mold, I am using 50/50 alloy, at the .408" mold spec. I will be using copier paper, at first, to see how this works out. The 338 is a twin to the 416 in design, except being 332 dia" and weighing 245 gr. Richard was so impressed with the 338 bullets in trial casting thru his .33 Krag that he is making himself one. His address is WWW.DoughtyEnt.com if you wish to contact him. He is a one man shop so be patient if you place an order. I am both camera and computer stupid, otherwise I would be posting pictures of both bullet molds and resulting targets. A final plug for the .416 Taylor, IT IS A GREAT CARTRIDGE FOR MOST PURPOSES! Robert

Boolit Bub
    Robert -- did you get a chance to cast any yet, and wrap and load? And if you did, how did they shoot? Looking forward to the details ---- Bob.

Boolit Bub
    Robert --- does the base of the bullet extend down past the neck shoulder when seated to be able to chamber?? Your keeping us in suspense--- hope you get a chance to try it out soon --- Thanks ...Bob.

Boolit Master

Id swap you something for a few of those .338's to test, if your interested.

How has that 416 been working?

In Remembrance

I`m re-learning to patch boolits so they actually look like patched boolits. The .416 bullets are looking pretty good, the 338 bullets are giving me a little more difficult time. Nothing has been loaded as yet or shot, too cold for this old mans arthritis! I too am looking forward to getting a few shot down range. All that I can say right now, is bear with with me guys!Robert

Boolit Master
    Awesome Robert!!!

I know you've been on pins .......... sounds like it was worth the wait!

I looked at Richard Doughty's web site and the molds he has for sale ........ and I must say he produces some FINE looking molds!!!

Hope the weather lets you cast some and you can try paper patching them!!

I tell you one thing: If I were to come back in an after-life as an elephant ....... I am going to skirt your place!!! LOL!!!

Mark

Hardcast,

The drawings for the .416 and the .338 are in one of my albums. You can find it by using "Doughty" in the search engine in the "All Albums" section.

Richard
    AKA "Old Vic"
    "I am a great believer in powder-burning".
    --Theodore Roosevelt, Hunting Trips of a Ranchman

In Remembrance

Thanks Richard. I have been referring people that are asking me about the PP molds. Since I am computer "stupid" about re-sending items I appreciate your bailing me out with the search info. The molds are working beautiful, now if I can get my arthritis to cooperate in the wrapping I`ll be all set!!Robert

Robert,

When I wrap, it seems to be easier on my joints if everything is warm; room, boollets, and water.
    AKA "Old Vic"
    "I am a great believer in powder-burning".
    --Theodore Roosevelt, Hunting Trips of a Ranchman