Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Inline FabricationRepackboxLoad DataTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply Wideners
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Winchester Model 70 Featherweight for Buffalo Barbie and Elk Hunting

FFD - great story.
    Now that gentleman knows I bet how to shoot and knows his gun and load. Amazing what folks that actually use their gear can tell you on what works and doesn't. These folks would make better ads then the ones we see too, but where would all the hype be with out these adds and Jack O'Conner - oops lol. I prefer the 280.

That stated I did talk my younger brother into buying a remmy 700 in 270 this wk. Felt it would fit his needs over everything else he was looking at and cheaper to boot.

I had shot a buddies Pre 64 270 and shoot amazing with it and my older brother uses a 270 for Elk. He states he gets really good groups and hits 6" balloons at 400. He isn't know in the family to be a shooter, but he hunts his **** off and always brings in the meat. Thinking about it, maybe I ought to go visit and see what his rifle and load can do in a good shooters hands lol

Best woth the rifle /cal choice and hunt,

sb

I 've picked up so much brass and components that I'm getting one in the Winchester Model 70 Sporter. HERE

Quote Originally Posted by DUKE NUKEM View Post
    I 've picked up so much brass and components that I'm getting one in the Winchester Model 70 Sporter. HERE
    I've heard some pretty flimsy excuses for buying a new rifle but, this one takes the cake.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by EOD3 View Post
    I've heard some pretty flimsy excuses for buying a new rifle but, this one takes the cake.
    Flimsy excuses are quite acceptable for acquiring a new firearm.

The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    Flimsy excuses are quite acceptable for acquiring a new firearm.
    I await the day I hear that phrase from Marie.

The old and tired "270 vs. 30-06" argument is pretty sorry and lame, and the 280 is another very fine game caliber. All three are very capable elk harvesters, and all three can produce cripples if not operated capably. My own preference is the 30-06, and only because that is what Dad hunted with--and in that way I became familiar and comfortable with the caliber. Dad's hunting partners used the 30-30, the '06, the 270, and the 280--and all brought home venison. My impression at the time was that all those men and women were very capable shots and didn't risk marginal hits or exceedingly long shots on a fine game animal. As Bro Bret has said more than once herein, there's a lot more Indian than arrow to the equation when it comes to hunting effectiveness.

Duke, that is just a stone classic game rifle. THAT is what a hunting rifle looks like.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar
    30-06, 308, 270, 280. If you didn't know what gun you were using or was being used on you you wouldn't be able to tell the difference from either end I'm thinking!
    Last edited by Four Fingers of Death; 10-18-2010 at 11:37 PM.
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Barbie picked up her rifle yesterday. I'll have her stop back by.

Quote Originally Posted by dk17hmr View Post
    Im not a huge fan of the 270, I do like it to an extent but not enough to own one.

Have you looked at 6.8 SPC uppers for her M4. Nosler makes a 110gr Accubond that can be pushed about 2700fps out of a 20" barrel....seems like it would work. I know I would use my 6.8 on elk if I was hunting in timbers.
    Might have some trouble taking that to Africa and Canada.

Quote Originally Posted by 9.3X62AL View Post
    Duke, that is just a stone classic game rifle. THAT is what a hunting rifle looks like.
    Thanks Al. My thoughts exactly.

Here she is.

Banned

It's the Schnabel and the fill-in checkering! Nice lookin' rifle.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar
    They sure are a pretty rifle!
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

All right DUKE, you ain't pullin the wool over my eyes, you're gonna have to put the other side of those rings on there or shooting will be a one shot thing.

Oh my! We need to go out and shoot the thing don't we.

Boolit Master

Haven't shot it in 2 years?

Quote Originally Posted by Moonie View Post
    Haven't shot it in 2 years?
    We have been swamped with projects and relocation.

Boolit Master

Duke you and Barbie have mighty good tastes when it comes to firearms! She is good looking. Oh the rifle is too.
    Mark 5:34 And He said to her (Jesus speaking), "Daughter, your faith has made you well. Go in peace and be healed of your affliction."

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123