Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationWidenersSnyders Jerky
Reloading Everything Repackbox

Thread: .416 Rigby

Boolit Bub

.416 Rigby

I hope this is the right place to post this.

I need a sub load for a 350 grain cast boolit in my .416 Rigby. Velocity approx 1,600 fps +.

Where do I start ?

Boolit Buddy
    Lyman Cast Bullet Manual, looking at data for the .460 Weatherby, starting low? Trail Boss powder, maybe? I'm speculating, as I don't own a Rigby--doesn't someone here? I also sorta recall an article on cast in the .416 some years ago in Handloader's Digest, but I'll have to scout it up.......

Boolit Master
    I shoot the 350grain RCBS, I started here http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...ighlight=rigby post number 5 by BruceB will enlighten you, I use 5744 and it is a fine powder for this, I choose not to use filler, but as you can see some do and do very well. I shoot mine out of a Ruger 77 Mark II Magnum rifle. You can download this quite a bit and I shoot my load about 1600 to 1700 fps. You can always call accurate arms, or email them, I've found them helpfull. It is in the AA manual.
    Hope this helps.

Trailboss powder to the base of the seated bullet, no compression. Check the IMR powder website for data, I believe they have it there for the Rigby now. And as Heavy Lead says, 5744 or 4759 work well here too. You can also use lots of really slow powder like 860, but unless you have tons of it and got it really cheap there are better ways to get there.

Boolit Bub
    In looking for a sub load for my .416 Rigby and cast 350 grain Flat Nose Boolits, I found some loads listed by Hodgdon for Trail Boss (TB). Thx Guys.

Start: 25 grains for 1,139 fps
    Max: 35 grains for 1,354 fps

I sent an email to ADI who confirmed this is the technique for useing TB.

http://www.hodgdon.com/PDF/Trail-Boss-data.pdf

I managed to score a container of TB from my local gun shop. I weighed a clean empty .416 Rigby case with an old primer in-situ. Weight was 360.80 grains. I then filled the case with TB to the approx. base of the neck. The case holds 35.6 grains of TB. 70% of that is 24.92 grains. Almost exactly the start load on the Hodgdon site.

Old news for some, but sub loads for Big Bores are doable with ADI Trail Boss.

I loaded up one round with 30 grains of Trail Boss under a 400 grain Hornady RNSP Interlock and fired it off this arvo.

Recoil was equivalent to a .243.
    Noise was a bit of a dissapointment, more like a Pop from a sideshow-alley air rifle.
    POI unknown.
    Primer very rounded with no pressure signs.
    Case was approx 85% full.

Full load development tomorrow, weather permitting.

FWIW. 50x .416 Hornady 400 grain RNSP's cost the same as 50x .416 Woodleigh 450 RNSP's A$62 per 50.
    Last edited by tophet1; 09-12-2010 at 04:10 AM. Reason: Additional info added

Got the archaeologist hat out for this one.

Looking for any cast boolit data you've got for the 416 Rigby.

Tried Trail Boss a couple of years ago, BIG xxx's across those loads in the load book, didn't note why but there was something about TB that must have really annoyed me.

Tried 5744 it works, just wondering if anybody has anything better they liked. I've got all the usual suspects in the way of powder, 5744, TB plus Bullseye, Unique, Clay's, the 3 Dot's: Red, Green and Blue, 4759, Unique, 4756, 2400 plus probably a dozen more to choose from.

Checked my manuals, got about 4 feet of bench space worth of manuals, not much in the way of 416 cast data. I'm shocked at that little tidbit of info, but it's probably old news to you guys.

But I did find out I loaned Lyman Cast #4 to someone. Just don't remember who

What ya got now that I've knocked the dust and cobwebs off this thread.

What about similar bullet weight data for the .460 Weatherby- aren't the case capacities close between it and the Rigby? Just wondering about it....

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Found 2 cast boolit loads buried in LoadData, SR 4759 for one, 2400 for the other. Loaded up some test loads of each, with luck will try them this weekend.

LoadData also had a separate batch of 26 cast loads, unfortunately, they were painful just reading them. Some went way over 2000 FPS. OUCH!

Extrapolating from 460 Weatherby may be a little out of my comfort zone.

More like 416 Weatherby since it's the same thing loaded to higher pressure.

Quote Originally Posted by Nobade View Post

But post #7 suggested the 460, wasn't sure if that was a typo or he had some double secret load data I wasn't privy to.

And the cast load data I saw for the 416 Weatherby was for somebody tougher than me...............

Quote Originally Posted by Nobade View Post

But post #7 suggested the 460, wasn't sure if that was a typo or he had some double secret load data I wasn't privy to.

And aren't the 416 Weatherby's belted, doesn't that make it stronger? Can't use that cast data in the wimpy little Rigby

And the cast load data I saw for the 416 Weatherby was for somebody tougher than me...............

Boolit Master
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Thanks, I have a Loaddata subscription so I printed out the whole article. Have to sit down and read it later this evening. I've got 303 British, 375 H&H and 7mm Rem Mag to 458 Mag fire forming I hope to get loaded this evening.
    Last edited by 15meter; 10-31-2021 at 08:46 AM.

Now that I'm back to my sources, I see that the Weatherby has around 9 grains higher case capacity than the Rigby. My books came from when the Rigby was not known in the USA and the 416 Remington didn't exist. The only load for cast in the .460 Weatherby in the CBH and 45th Lyman is 20 grs of Unique for a 500 gr.bullet. in the Rigby, I would start at 15grs of Unique but that's me. Good luck in your search to make it fun to shoot.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Funny you mention - the Rigby is the only cartridge I have worked DOWN a load for - literally - going backwards using the reverse process you usually would, until recoil was manageable. It went BELOW listed data, so I was proceeding cautiously out of detonation concerns.

I dropped the 350 grain NOE BRP gas check clone down to 1885fps using 43.3 grains of 5744. It's a fairly bulky powder that seemed well suited to the experiment. In a heavy gun like the CZ-550 it did well as an option that won't detach your retinas. As you know, it's a big round not intended to have a lot of empty space in the case, and not intended for the timid of shoulder - probably best not to empty it out too much.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

And let's give it one more ride to the top, maybe somebody new will chime in with load data.

I hope.

Don't have a Rigby but Trail Boss works well in my .416Taylor.
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? (Sgt. Oddball, KELLY'S HEROES)
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _____________________________
    my feedback thread
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter