Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Load DataInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Reloading Everything Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: load for 30-06

Boolit Bub

load for 30-06

looking for a load for a 170 gc bullit without the gc for 30-06 and 308 win, using 2400/unique or 700x that won't lead my bore. just tried 6 grains of 700x that leaded my bore terribly. my bullet is a lyman 311291 sized to .309 cast from water quenched wheel weights. please help. thanx wayne h

stephen perry

wayne

I load same bullet in my .308 with Unique powder. I patch only with lead loads I use a couple patches of old Hoppes after a day at the Range, no leading.

Stephen Perry
    Angeles BR

Boolit Grand Master

Good morning
    What is the throat diameter ?
    Maybe you need a .310+ sizer ?
    "Behold The Lamb of God that taketh away the sin of the world". John 1:29
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Buddy
    Gee, you're using a GC boolit without a GC and want to avoid leading?

You're kind of shooting yourself in the proverbial foot right there, because you have the boolit base "corners" where the gas check goes hanging in the furnace (inside the neck) when the powder lights off.

If you want to avoid buying GC's, there are folks who make GC's from pop cans using a simple punch thing who have had great successes. Another thing to try is swapping your mold for one that doesn't require GC's. As a very last resort, you could lap out the GC seating area in the mold base, but the previous two are much better options IMHO.

Like Missionary5155 hinted at, there are too many variables that you've not mentioned that you could try first.

You really need to slug your barrel and slug the throat to figure out what your bore/throat needs in the way of cast boolit diameter. Unless your bore and throat are bright and shiny, and you've removed any copper/lead fouling that might be in there, it's going to be really tough to avoid leading.

According to Lyman #49, the largest those boolits can be sized is .311; but if need be you could go larger via Beagling.

You haven't mentioned what boolit loob you're using. Loob can make a big difference.

Lyman 49's starting load for that boolit in .30-06 with 700x is 9.5gr for 1,307fps; for .308, 8gr for 1,200fps. You're way below that. I'll bet your fired cases were sooty black; there probably wasn't enough pressure to expand the necks against the chamber to provide a good seal.

Unique starting for '06 is 12g, 1,508fps; for .308, 10gr for 1,358fps.

Boolit Master
    Plain base of some kind of cover for the gas check shank as SierraWhiskey mentions.

Seems to me a guy with a really good drill press and nerves of steel could alter a .311 mold to a plain base with a 5/16" drill bit. I am still waiting on my nerves to get to the point I can try.

Boolit Master
    12gr/16.5 Unique, as listed in the Lyman LM 1508 fps to 1811fps, if you are not going to use GC's then I would use the lower setting but in my experience you will be giving up accuracy. If you can chamber them without sizing pan lube and shoot. I have a very tight chambered 03/A3 and .311 works great never any leading with 50/50 BW an Lithium grease. but I do use GC's
    Frank G.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by sqlbullet View Post
    Seems to me a guy with a really good drill press and nerves of steel could alter a .311 mold to a plain base with a 5/16" drill bit. I am still waiting on my nerves to get to the point I can try.
    Oh, boy - please don't. The likelihood is all too great that the result of such an attempt will be an expensive paperweight.

Lapping is at least reasonably safe, as it takes off very little material at one time. However, I'm very reluctant to make any such modifications to a classic mold like that one. Even if lapping, odds are high that you will wind up with an oval base.

After all, you can get a brand-new Lee mold for around $20-$30. Why risk ruining a $70 mold, when you can experiment with a cheapie?
    Last edited by SierraWhiskeyMC; 08-30-2010 at 11:54 AM.

Boolit Master
    Yes! Yes!

Sorry for the mis-leading statement. My mold that I am working up to an attempt on is a Lee 200 grain.

On an expensive mold, I would definitely pay the $20 + shipping to have buckshot do it.

Boolit Master
    I'm working with exactly the same mould in my '06. Last year I had pretty good success with 10 gr. of Unique as I recall. I got sidetracked on a deer hunting load but have loaded 10 rounds for testing with my decheck 200 gr. Lee mould and will post the results.

Boolit Buddy
    txbirdman,
    It would be really helpful when you do your tests, if you would post your other stuff such as what your bore(s) slugged measurements are, what you sized the boolits to, loob used, OAL, how far do your boolits have to jump to get to the rifling, etc.

Boolit Grand Master

Wayneh

What bullet lube?

Larry Gibson

Boolit Grand Master
    1. Read the Ed Harris article Cast Bullet Loads for Military Rifles that is a sticky at the top of this section, he has a lot of different recommendations.

2. Slug your barrel and throat to see what size you need. All of my 30 caliber rifles will chamber a .311" or more diameter boolit.

3. I mostly shoot ACWW.

4. Maybe try a different lube, although at a velocity slow enough that you don't need gaschecks; almost any lube should work.

Robert

Boolit Master
    Sierra,

I did a quick test today just to see if my load had potential. The bullet is the Lee 200 gr. that's been converted to a PB. The alloy is ACWW with 2% tin. I used BAC lube and 10 gr. of Unique ignited by Rem LP primer. The bullet measures .302 at the nose which exactly fits my bore. I sized the bullets .311. The OAL is 3.212" which is the point at which the bullet contacts the lands. This the first group I've fired with this combination at 100 yds. The 5 shot group measured 2.275" with 4 shots going into 1.620". It's not a bad first effort I don't think.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 200PB.jpg  

Boolit Master

nice! Good Shooting.

Boolit Buddy
    txbirdman,
    That's pretty doggone nice!
    Try seating your boolits just a bit deeper so that they are just a few thou off the lands. That'll give the boolit a "running start" at them. Too far back won't be good, as odds of being centered become dismal. See if that helps or hurts the group.

Did you notice any leading? Did you fire a couple of warm-up shots?

Boolit Master
    No apparent leading. And yes I have an 8" steel plate that I usually shoot first just to see if the bullet is going to hit paper and as a fouler.

Boolit Man

30-06

Wayne h

I use 20 grs Acc no.9 , lee 200 grs Hornady gascheck + dacron filler.
    It gives an 1,5-2" group at 100 meters .
    Its a fine load in my Parker Hale.

Leo367

Boolit Master

30/06 Load

Here's another group I shot awhile back with my '06 using the Lee 185 gr. bullet designed for the fat 30's
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails nickle185.jpg  

Boolit Man
    I use an almost identical load in my .30-30 single shot, 6 grain 700-x with a Lee 150 grain, without gas check. I have no leading problems.
    I suspect you are using too hard of a bullet, as well as a too small bullet.
    My 30-30 load will shoot under 1.5 inches at 50 yards with the open sights, in a nice round group. As a plinker it is great and serves my purpose. The alloy I use is a mongrel alloy, and I size them .309, which works for my rifle.

damron g
    "You're kind of shooting yourself in the proverbial foot right there, because you have the boolit base "corners" where the gas check goes hanging in the furnace (inside the neck) when the powder lights off."

Not to be contrary,but GC bullets shot as PB work very well,often better than "true" PB bullet.A great example is the Lee bullet for the 7.62 x 39.Without the GC and it just plain shoots in about every 30 i have shot it in.It will shoot well in the 30-06 with the 700x load mentioned as well.Secret is the bullet is big enough bullet to fill the throat.

Here are some consecutive groups out of a 91-30 Russian with 6x scope with the naked bottom bullet.

George
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PICT1137.jpg  
    Last edited by damron g; 09-13-2010 at 01:56 AM.