MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataTitan ReloadingLee Precision
RepackboxInline FabricationRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Catching Spent Primers - Rock Chucker

Boolit Master

Catching Spent Primers - Rock Chucker

The only flaw I've found on the RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme is the plastic primer catcher. It needed tapping every so often or it would clog and it would spill primers when you unsnaped it from the press to empty. I bent and shaped a piece of 1/2" OD copper tube and soldered a couple copper straps to hold it in place. I also plugged the unneeded openings with strips of high density foam to direct the strays. All the primers go into an old powder bottle.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

That is a real neat set up. I was given this suggestion over at accuratereloading.com from R D McMillian.
    With respect to the RCBS dumping spent primers all over the floor,RCBS Rockchucker presses do have a bad habit of bouncing spent primers all over the place. This can be controlled by cutting a large plastic “soda” straw to a length that will reach from the bottom of the shell holder to 1/4 inch above the bottom of the slot. Cut the bottom of the measured piece of the straw off at approximately a 45 degree angle and press the straw into the slot of the ram with the angle-cut point to the outside. This will keep the de-capped primers going all the way down the slot and let the primer catcher tray get most of them. If you have any trouble with them bouncing out over the front edge of the primer catcher, you can put a small wall on the front edge to stop them. Most straws are long enough to modify two presses.

Boolit Master

Primer catcher

Mal, I have four Rock Chuckers and I have the same problem with spent primers. I have a question with your fix however. What directs the old primer into the tube?My spent primers fall to the front of the ram, not to the side.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

Boolit Master

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by GOPHER SLAYER View Post
    Mal, I have four Rock Chuckers and I have the same problem with spent primers. I have a question with your fix however. What directs the old primer into the tube?My spent primers fall to the front of the ram, not to the side.
    If you look at the second picture, In The First Post, the white stuff in the slot is a thin strip ( about 1/4" thick and 3/8 wide ) of high density packing foam press fit into the slot. There is also one in back covering the top of the slot. Actually I lile novalty's suggestion of sleeving the hole with a straw.

Which got me to cut a piece of 3/8 OD Precision brass tube 1 7/8 inches long and slide it in the hole.
    The tube is from K&S Engineering which has displays of 12 inch pieces in hobby shops and hardware stores.
    Now I have to shoot some more in order to try it out.
    Mal

Boolit Master

Gopher Slayer

Caught your signature. A good friend now passed, Jeremy Slate, was a member of Ned Peppers Gang. The one who plucked the chicken. Directed us in the play "Point of Departure" and lived just down the hill.
    Last edited by Mal Paso; 09-02-2010 at 09:38 PM.
    Mal

Mal Paso, thanks for posting the pics. I am very new to reloading, and just starting to get some equipment and a bench set up, so I wasn't extremely clear on the "straw" technique. I like the brass tube idea as well. Would you mind if I posted your pics over at accuratereloading.com?

Boolit Master
    Post away, it's about sharing information. I've still got to unload some brass and test it.
    Mal

Boolit Master

Rock chucker fix

Thanks Mal. Yes, I stole that line from Rooster. Still one of my favorite westerns. Sorry to hear about Mr. Slate's passing. Another actor I used to see at gun shows was Leo Gorden. He made several movies with the duke.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

Boolit Master
    Just ran yesterday's brass. The brass tube Is an improvement. It reduced the 1% strays out the back to 0. I would not have thought of it without your input. Thanks!
    Mal

I have an older rock checker and spent primers would go everywhere except in the plastic cup. What I did was put a straw in the ram, then bent a coated clothes hanger around the back and hooked it on the cup. That kept the cup tight up against the body and most primes stayed in the cup. I also used another piece of hanger about three inches long with a little hook on one end and stuck in one of the two holes on the left side and added a small piece of card board with the hanger holding it in place to deflect wild primes that wanted to get away. Works pretty good for me. I just deprimed about 8 or 9 hundred 223 cases and only had two primes hit the floor.

Boolit Master

Big Tom, a member here, makes a 3D printed primer catcher for a lot of presses.
    A great value and it works like a charm.

Boolit Master
    i built a "dam" with duct tape around the primer tray. its is about 1 inch high. never loose a primer.

Quote Originally Posted by Wild Bill 7 View Post
    I have an older rock checker and spent primers would go everywhere except in the plastic cup. What I did was put a straw in the ram, then bent a coated clothes hanger around the back and hooked it on the cup. That kept the cup tight up against the body and most primes stayed in the cup. I also used another piece of hanger about three inches long with a little hook on one end and stuck in one of the two holes on the left side and added a small piece of card board with the hanger holding it in place to deflect wild primes that wanted to get away. Works pretty good for me. I just deprimed about 8 or 9 hundred 223 cases and only had two primes hit the floor.
    An eleven year old thread. Somebody's got their search-fu going. Good deal.

Instead of a bent wire, I use a length of ball chain, like off a pull chain on a light. Hook on one side, around the back of the press and hook in the notch on the other side. It holds the primer catcher much more securely than that silly little thing that went over the top. And the straw in the slot on the ram is a must. Reduces the lost primers to almost zero.

I like zombie threads.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mal Paso View Post
    The only flaw I've found on the RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme is the plastic primer catcher. It needed tapping every so often or it would clog and it would spill primers when you unsnaped it from the press to empty. I bent and shaped a piece of 1/2" OD copper tube and soldered a couple copper straps to hold it in place. I also plugged the unneeded openings with strips of high density foam to direct the strays. All the primers go into an old powder bottle.
    Have a picture of this?

I can’t recommend the primer catcher designed by member Johnny_V highly enough. A search will turn up his name and a few threads.
    Tony

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Carrier View Post
    Have a picture of this?
    Actually I do. Even though it burned up 5 years ago it lives on in pictures
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails press2.jpg   press.jpg   press3.jpg   press5.jpg   press6.jpg  

RockChuc01.jpg  
    Mal

Boolit Master
    The new one isn't as nice but it works fine. The tube goes through the bench to a big bottle.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails RCprimer02.jpg   RCprimer01.jpg  
    Last edited by Mal Paso; 10-23-2021 at 09:40 AM.
    Mal

Boolit Master
    Well that’s so simple that even a simpleton like me can do it. Thanks for the pictures.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Carrier View Post
    Well that’s so simple that even a simpleton like me can do it. Thanks for the pictures.
    I don't know how the pictures got separated from the post. The newer one is 3/8 copper tube and fittings. I think the first one that's one piece of 3/8 looks better but you need to anneal the tube between bends, it work hardens.
    Mal

Wow! And I just thought mine was a lemon! LOL

Great idea, Map Paso! Sorry for you loss, as I fit in the same mold back in the 2011 Texas Fires. All new, and primers spewing everywhere!

THANKS!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast