Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2WidenersSnyders Jerky
Lee Precision Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Win 785 Powder

Boolit Master
    BerdanIII

Thanks for posting this info!

Boolit Master
    I bought a single can of 785 in the way-back years - used it in my .25-06. Had an "incident" while using a W-W listed load that left me hammering the bolt open from a seriously expanded case head. I had already used that load in testing through maybe a dozen rounds with no sign of problems - but a cartridge left chambered for a minute or two in a hot barrel put pressure thrugh the roof when fired. Touchy stuff - I didn't use it again after that day. I still have the remaining half pound around here some place...

Boolit Buddy
    behind the lines of enemy territory,60 miles from NYC
    Thanks BerdanIII !

Boolit Buddy

Angry Get out the bore scrubber brushes & elbow grease

I remember trying Win 785 a few years ago and that it left a very stubborn residue in my barrels. I originally bought a couple of cans and had half a can left which I roto-tilled into the flower garden bed after my arms started to bulk up like Arnold Schwarzenegger's from scrubbing rifle bores.

Boolit Buddy
    behind the lines of enemy territory,60 miles from NYC
    52.0 grns w/a speer 200gr sp is doing great(8x57)

Boolit Buddy
    Berdan III -
    Thank you for posting that. I too have a can that I havn't been able to find loads for.

Boolit Mold
    Years and Years ago I bought a 8lb keg of it from a local gun shop that was closing, got a pretty good deal on it. Anyway, Winchester said in their little handout pamphlets that it was the factory powder they used in the 90gr and 100gr loads for the 243 Winchester. I have one of those pamphlets somewhere and I have always followed the info in that pamphlet to the letter and have Never had any problems of any kind with it. I think it is one of the best powders available for the 243 Winchester at the time. If any one wants the info for W785 powder I will look it up and list it on here. Cuebuilder

Boolit Mold
    Nick, I have a 1981 Winchester Ball Powder Reloading Data Manual. Win 785 is a slow powder, so probably not what you want with cast bullets. For Cast bullets such as the Lyman #266469 140 grain with a gas check, a powder in the fast range such as IMR 4227 or reloader 7 works in the 6.5 X 55. In a 30-30 hand gun with a Lyman #311359 with a gas check i also use a fast powder such as RE 7 or Unique.
    I use the win 785 in things like the 25-06 where you want a slow burning powder. I now use MagPro or Vint N170 for the same applications because 785 and H 870 are no longer available. Not sure I am much help.

Hope Nick is still amoung the living. 2006 was more than a few days ago. Never used any 785, that was from the 60' s and early 70's maybe. Used lots of 760/ H414. Good stuff. Think 414 is still around.
    Never trade luck for skill.

Boolit Master
    I remember back when powders were sold in metal cans, it was one powder that folks used in 270win, its a ball powder so when you work up a load might want to use a magnum primer.
    it works well probably in a lot of calibers where the 4831's shine,

Boolit Grand Master
    Friend of mine, when he had his 25-06, loaded 90gr BTHP Sierra's to good effect.

Boolit Buddy
    There are some W785 loads on Steve's Pages:

https://stevespages.com/page8a.htm

Boolit Buddy
    I used it in a 243 back in the 80's till it was not made anymore. Worked well for me then.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12