RepackboxInline FabricationWidenersRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLoad DataLee Precision
Snyders Jerky Titan Reloading

Thread: (F)Old Hat Crinkle Method?

Boolit Buddy
    Beautiful downtown Suckradimento, Kalifornica

(F)Old Hat Crinkle Method?

Greetings:
    I have "discovered" a way of crinkling the fold-over-flat-to-the-CBoo-butt tail. It may be old hat to you but, if not, then I'll not have wasted your eyeball grease.

After completing your roll-up of the PPatch do NOT pick up the now-cylinder-tailed PPCBoo to crenulate the tail by hand. Instead, lift up your rolling-fingers, put the index finger centered on the CBoo's rear end (other rolling fingers are on the CBoo body proper), press down, and roll forward a couple of turns. Your index finger's downward pressure causes its flesh to overlap the CBoo's rear edge, resulting in the protruding PPatch tail cylinder's forming a perfect-and-instantaneous crenulation (crinkle/fan-fold).

Now, to finish it off, simply pick up the nearly-finished PPCBoo, hold it base-down on a hard surface at a 45 degree angle, then press down it lightly with your off-hand index finger as you roll it forward (along its base edge) with your main hand ~~~> let your push-down off-hand index finger follow the roll, but drive the rolling with your main hand. Bring it to vertical slowly in two-to-three turns. Shazayum! The crenu-folded base will be flat and packed and your PPCBoo will be ready to set, upright-and-base-down, on your piece of plastic window screen material, which approach allows the PPCBoo's base can dry at the same time that the sides are drying (the PPCBoo's weight also holds the crenulations folded flat until drying locks them in place).

At any rate, that is how I do it.
    Zeek
    Last edited by Zeek; 08-14-2010 at 12:24 PM.

Yup. That's how I do it. It can be doen dry too (well, a little dampness makes for a perfect crinkle-crimp base with a perfectely centred and circular 'eye', or if one prefers, a fully encased base with virtually no 'eye'.
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

Boolit Master

I call it roll folding, same idea. Mine go into plastic trays (dumpster diving at the range) a cardboard spacer, then the next tray on top, holds the bases flat until dry. Now if I could keep the furballs out if them everything would be perfect.
    Gun control 1ST ROUND ON TARGET.

Boolit Master

That is too much work.
    I just twist the tails, then snip them and compress them when I run them through the sizer.
    None of them stay on down range, and none of them stay behind when I fire them.

Boolit Master
    For me I have tried a few approaches.
    Thin verus thick paper require fo mme diferent techinques.
    I have found thick stuff usually soggy type paper when wet that twisting works better for me.

As I tend to over work the super soft now near paper machee into fury falling apart s###t.
    Thin I can get a lovely dot in the base fold if I desire.

All the same to me as long as they are consistantly done.

Not the best groups but still working on it.

barrabruce said it. Different papers, different techniques. The 'roll-crimp' as I call it, looks nice. Test tube tests show that the crimped over tail impresses into the boolit base so to me, the most even folding or crinkling is important. Roll-crimping meets that requirement nicely. Tail twisting produced an indentation in the base which for me was not very concentric. This leads me to think that alloy hardness influences which tail method works best. docone31 uses a hard alloy and gets good results with twisted tails which are squashed flat during sizing.

All this is what makes paper patching so much fun!
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

Boolit Master

And the quest goes on
    Gun control 1ST ROUND ON TARGET.

+1 on docone's method. The patch leaves the bullet ant the muzzle. How the base looks matters not a bit. If the patch that covers the bearing surface of the bullet correctly, that is all you need.
    45 AUTO! Because having to shoot someone twice is just silly!