RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLee Precision
Load DataSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2 Reloading Everything

Thread: 410 ss smle

Boolit Master

410 ss smle

Saw what I thought was an unusual rifle on the rack at my local gun store today. Looked to be SMLE, not sure which # 1 2 3 or 4, so I picked it up and looked at it and it was a .410 gauge single shot bolt action. Is this a factory design or did some body build it?
    My mother always said I was the Flower of the Family, The Blooming Idiot

Boolit Master

If memory serves me, it was a police rifle.
    Might make a good 45/70 by swapping out barrels.

Boolit Master
    Yes it might Doc. The gun itself and stock were in excellent shape as far as outside finish. Didn't look down barrel, as it was priced $450 and I didn't want to spend that much $ I think. Somebody have an idea of the value?
    My mother always said I was the Flower of the Family, The Blooming Idiot

Boolit Master

Don't know about value; they were indeed a guard gun, used by prison guards over in the UK, as I recall my history. The guards had one shot to subdue prisoners, then the gun was useless. Almost bought one myself, but have no use for a single-shot.
    Lead Forever!

The 2nd amendment was never intended to allow private citizens to 'keep and bear arms.' If it had, there would have been wording such as 'the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. -Ken Konecki, July 27, 1992

John Galt was here.

"Politics is the art of postponing an answer until it is no longer relevant". (From the movie 'Red Tails')

Boolit Master
    IIRC, India also converted a bunch of 303 brit's to single shot 410's

I remember seeing them in the wholesaler's sheets back when I was an FFL. I remember them being about the same price as regular surplus 303's.....way back when.

I also recall something about their chambers / headspace being a bit different than modern American 410 shells. I think I read a thread here about someone with one that had a long headspace. Don't know if that was just an unlucky one, or something you might run into
    Last edited by lylejb; 08-11-2010 at 11:31 PM.
    NRA life member

LB

In Remembrance

Probably an Indian conversion to .410 for riot control. Also can be smooth-bored to get around the rifle registration/restrictions i the UK. In either case it will probably not chamber commercial .410 shells as the chamber is designed for .303 british brass blown out straight. These are easy to make by anealing the case mouth on .303 brass and fireforming them with 6-8 grains of bullseye and the case full of cornmeal or cream of wheat. Not a particularly useful item but a piece of history nd fun to shoot as a plinker.

Boolit Master

I have one that I bought a springfield sporters years ago. It's chambered for 3" shells,
    and cost $60. They had racks of them. Man I miss going to that place.
    Denny

Boolit Man
    i know you can load uo .444 brass as shotshells and shoot them in the SS .410 SMLES. the one i shot had no issues with store bought ammo either.

rm