My .54 Renegade likes Maxiballs and I have been casting them out of pure lead for it since the 70's. I got a GM .54 drop-in for it just for fun and like it a lot, too. I tried all kinds of different combinations in both to see which liked what best. Both do well with MaxiBalls (T/C 3"@100, GM 1.5"@100), the GM does rb's a lot better, (1"@100) and both also do very well with T/C's bulk sabots stuffed with Lee 452-228's (2-3"@100). You might have to size the .45's to make seating easier. I cast them out of pure as they expand better, but you could use WW for them as the plastic sabot does the "bumping up". Every rifle is different, though, so try as many different combinations as you can get your hands on.
Why anyone would want a .50 for hunting when you could have a .54 I cannot understand. Yes, there are a lot more choices in rifles and projectiles, but most of the rifles now are inlines, and most of the projectiles are just jacketed handgun bullets in .44cal. The .54 sabots hold .45's, and there is a fantastic choice of bullets available, jacketed and cast, and probably better choice of cast from light little plinkers for the ACP to big honking moose stoppers for the big Casull cases. And you get larger and heavier rb's, and a good selection of MaxiBalls, MaxiHunters, Reals, Plains, Buffalos, most of which you can get moulds for without special ordering.
If you get into your Renegade as much as I got into mine, you should consider a T/C or Williams tang mounted Peep sight, and installing a good recoil pad to make it even more fun to shoot. I generally use Pyrodex now as I can get it much more easily, and have also switched to musket caps for better ignition (just a simple nipple replacement).