Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
WidenersRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLee Precision
Load Data Repackbox
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Which luber?

Boolit Master

Which luber?

Found a RCBS luber (not sure if it's the first or second model) for $120 brand new. I don't see myself casting tens of thousands of boolits, although the Star is a nice unit. What I would like to know is, are boolits "really" much more accurate if sized nose first? If they are the Magma is for me. I don't like launching things downrange unless I know I can hit them, and I HATE inaccurate ammo. I'd really appreciate your opinions. I have pretty much ruled out the Lyman 450/4500based on opinions of others I have read elsewhere.

Thanks fellas!

Kevin
    History will record, with the greatest astonishment, that those who had the most to lose, did the least to prevent its happening.

The problem with Liberals is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so.

- Ronald Reagan

I have the RCBS LubOmatic 2 and like it real well.
    [SIGPIC]http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m193/stevensavage/avatars/reloadnPalacescriptresized.jpg[/SIGPIC]

In Remembrance

I have both RCBS and Lyman Sizers, And can't say I prefer one over the other. The RCBS does have a beefier Handle mechanisim, but the Lyman has done many thousands of bullets for me, and I bought it used, without a hitch(it's a 45). I prefer it's ratchet handle for lube pressure as compared to the little 2 knob handle on the RCBS. Otherwise they use the same dies and nose guides.

44woody

lubers

RVPILOT76 I have had a rcbs lub-a-matic-2 and now own a star I used to have the worst problem with lube on the base of my bullets I would spend hr's cleaning it off the base I finly was able to get a star and sold the lam2 and have not regreted it everrcbs warenty v magma warenth that is a no braner rcbs has the best if it breaks for any reason your fanle or the cat's fault rcbs will fix it this is just my 2 cents worth 44Woody

I use an RCBS,a new Lyman and an old Lyman 45. The all seem to work equally well. Lately though, Ive started picking up the Lee sizers. I think these may be my new favorites.

I used a highly scientific and organized approach to the selection of a lube-sizer. After much careful deliberation and research I bought one someone happened to have at the range to sell, with the correct size die already installed and about half full of SPG.
    Have mercy.
    A haw, haw, haw, haw, a haw.
    A haw, haw, haw

Kevin, Until the Lee sizer dies came out, all of my CB's were sized base-first in a Lyman #450 and 2 RCBS Lub-A-Matics. In fact, the tiny .45-70 group I described last week used CB's sized base-first in a Lub-A-Matic. If the ram and die are properly aligned and you don't bend the bullets when sizing them, I don't think there's much difference between the two methods. Just my $0.02

Banned
    I'll add my .02 cents to Maven's and make it .04 cents. I've experienced the same thing he has. One thing I might add, I like the base type luber/sizers better because lubing with the Lee push throughs is so inconvienant to lubing.

Joe

Boolit Master

For the 60 bucks get the Star. I had an old Lyman 45 and an RCBS, almost new. After I got the first Star I sold them both. Now I have 3 Stars. Yes, I size thousands of bullets a month, but the price difference really isn't that great. I just don't have that much free time and I hate to waste it to save 60 bucks on something that is going to last until I die in 40 years. Yes, the Lyman and RCBS did a decent job of sizing. But so does my single stage RCBS press work well, but I almost never use it, I use the Dillon 550. If you have a Dillon progressive press than you are probably a Star kind of guy. IMHO

I have the RCBS LAM II and a Star and an old Lachmiller LAM I . I use the RCBS and lachmiller for short runs and experimenting. If I'm doing a large batch of 100 or more bullets i go to the Star. Dies for the Star are more expensive but the machine is by far faster to use. So, if you shoot a few rifle but hundreds of pistol rounds, then the Star is the way to go.
    R J Talley
    Teacher/James Madison Fellow

Boolit Buddy
    I shoot a lot of handgun bullets so when I cast, I cast a lot of bullets. Have found the Star lubrisizer the ideal tool as the bullets go in nose first, get lubed and sized, and exit the bottom of the die. Each pull of the handle produces a sized and lubricated bullet. Fastest lubrisizer on the market. Never have to consider using another lubrisizer as all sizing sessions involves lots of bullets. The Star is built to commercial standards so expect years of trouble-free performance. Just my dos centavos.

Boolit Master
    Back in the Thirties the prevailing idea in the gun literature was that nose first sizing damaged bases, bent bullets and caused all kinds of grief to the hapless cast bullet shooter. These denunciations had the effect of causing everybody to junk their tong tools and push-through sizers and buy Ideal or later brands of base-first sizer/lubricators. Now we've gone full circle and base first is the "only" way to go again.

There was also the argument that the tong type tools made inferior ammunition because the handles didn't move in a "straight line."

Like the perennial .270-vs-.30-06 argument, the purpose of these is to sell the commodity in question and also sell the publications wherein the arguments are staged.

I have a Lachmiller, a Lyman 45, a couple Pacific base-first dies and I sometimes use a Kake Cutter and size through the push die or the hole in the handle of a tong tool. If the bullet is started straight in any of them, the accuracy appears to be equivalent.

I agree with Bentramrod. Accuracy from either the RCBS/Lachmiller tools or the Star seems to be the same. Only the speed of production is different
    R J Talley
    Teacher/James Madison Fellow

Boolit Master

had them all! star is the best way to go !!!!!!! cost a little more but well worth it! any one who i let try my star has bought one, so far ive converted 5 other casters, as for accuracy 1 1/4 for 25 shots at 100 yards with a rpm xl and 2 1/2 inches for 25 shots at 200 yards for a browning bpcr . bob

Boolit Master
    Well, looks like the Star is getting the nod. Thanks for all of your input, fellas!

My best to all,

Kevin
    History will record, with the greatest astonishment, that those who had the most to lose, did the least to prevent its happening.

The problem with Liberals is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so.

- Ronald Reagan

Boolit Man
    Hello;
    I see you say for 120$ you can get the luber, but at midway for 128$ you could get the luber, a melting pot, a ladel, an ingot mould and the Lyman cast bullet book.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by xpshooter
    Hello;
    I see you say for 120$ you can get the luber, but at midway for 128$ you could get the luber, a melting pot, a ladel, an ingot mould and the Lyman cast bullet book.
    Link?

- Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master At Heavens Range 1945-2008 brshooter's Avatar
    I used a lyman for 2 years and was always wiping the base of the bullets, what a pain in bucket. Bought a Star Lubricator in 1963 and have never looked back. First dies had fitted nose punchs for the different bullets, worked OK, but had 5 different nose punches just for 45 auto. Now use the nose first method and retired about 30 different nose punches. Now the Star is outfitted with a heated base, bullet feeder, and a pneumatic lube actuator. What a deam to use. Still have a Star loading press with, 45 auto, 9mm, 38/357, 32 S&W long, 44 mag and 30 carbine heads. Both the lubricator and press are lifetime machines with minumum maintance.

brshooter, we are of the same mind. Have you ever seen a post where someone said they had a Star, but got rid of it and went back the their Lyman or RCBS....I don't think so. Not that they won't do a great job of sizing bullets, but once you have used a Star, your hooked. ....and Star Reloaders are pretty good too. My collection of Star Reloaders is bigger than my collection of Star Lubsizers.