Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingWidenersReloading Everything
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Load Data Repackbox
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: MiHec 359640 first casting........

Boolit Master

MiHec 359640 first casting........

MiHa! You are "The Man".

Every time I order one of these molds, I'm apprehensive (aren't we all?).

I started casting this morning and as usual, it took awhile to find that
    "Sweet Spot" where the bullets just fall out almost perfect. This mold
    likes to run on the hot side (800 degrees), for me at least. I weighed several bullets at random; average weight is 157.4 grains (regular hollow point config).

I plan on loading this bullet in both .38 Special and .357 Magnum cases.
    Last edited by HiVelocity; 08-22-2011 at 09:46 AM.

Boolit Buddy

Very nice - what alloy you running Hi-V?

Jim

Okay ! ......just could not have the new toy sitting around any longer soooo ... got into it this morning while it's still cool .
    Have to say ... THIS IS THE BEST ONE YET !!
    Miha ... you have it done again and even better this time , with the four molds I have now from MP , this one is tops.
    Sprayed some brake cleaner on it and went to work , warmed it up on the hot plate .....dipped in the pot for a few seconds more and dropped about half dozen rejects and we were on our way.
    Casted up about six pounds of boolits just to see how things worked and what a pleasure to use.
    The only thing I used my soft mallet for was to pop the sprue open and even then after a while I just used my hand after it loosened up just a bit , oiled things up and it worked like a charm , dropped em every time !
    Kept dropping all thru the session with out a hitch and the only thing I did use the mallet for was to push the pins out to drop , then to reset them .
    It was definitely a pleasure to use.... Thank you Miha !! (would there be a chance I could get the older molds reprocessed ?) scuse me , just dribbling on here .......
    digger

Boolit Master

101VooDoo-

I'm running plain air cooled wheel weights; nothing added (yet). I hear pro's and con's about adding tin for fill out, etc. I'm finding that fluxing more often solves what little problems I've been experiencing.

Depending on how well these shoot and, hopefully, expand, I may add some linotype to the mix. But for now, I'm hoping someone will do some testing (hint, hint) before I do and find a good 38 Special and 357 Magnum handload.

Still, I think this mold is a keeper.

HV

Add me to the list of guys very happy with this new mould. My alloy is half and half, WW and lead - I am thinking I will get better expansion with a softer alloy.

I fired some last week with 12.0 grs of WC820 and a CCI-550 primer. Accuracy was very good at 25 yards with no leading in both a Ruger Security-Six and a S&W 586.

Here are some I cast this morning. The new mould is a joy to use.

Groo here
    I just got mine tonight!!!!!!!!!! Too hot to start a pot but looks great!!!!!!!!!!!
    One thing though, I got #3, 5 sided pins and one regular..

Boolit Man
    This is a bit out of contex, 359 is the diameter, but what does the 640 stands for ?

Groo here
    Emailed "THE MAN"
    New pins coming ,, What a pleasure to work with someone who caries about
    his product and customers!!!!!!!!!
    Won' be my last mold, they grow on you!!!!!!!!

Boolit Master
    mactool:

The 359640 is a 45 2.1 design from this Group Buy.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=58932

The "640 series" is a group of his bullets designs with a particular nose configuration.
    Drop him a PM and I am sure he can give you details.

BRP makes most of the 45 2.1 "640" designs !
    Take a look at the catalog !

http://www.brp.castpics.net/default.htm

Jerry
    S&W .38/44 Outdoorsman Accumulator

Boolit Master

Finally!

I got my mold up and running today!

I like the round hollow point:

I made some of each, but it is no fun switching the pins when they are hot! Loaded them all up with 5.5 gr Unique, loaded them long in 38 special cases, I only have 357 mag guns, so they can handle it . . .

Measurements taken on each side of the seam, and then opposite of the seam:
    (Bottom numbers - top is 434640)

Weights with approximately 68% wheel weights, 29% recovered range lead, and 3% tin:

Tomorrow I hope to go see how they fly!

John 3: 16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

Boolit Master
    It took awhile to push this one through but it was worth the wait !

I want to thank everyone who joined in with orders to make this a success. Thanks also to Miha for coming through with a GREAT mould of a 45 2.1 design !!

Jerry
    S&W .38/44 Outdoorsman Accumulator

Boolit Master

Yeah I'm happy!

Gonna be my carry load with the round hollow points . . .
    John 3: 16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

Boolit Master

I went out today!

Went out this morning in the high 70's, sunshine and breezy 10-20 mph at about 1 O'clock from target . . .

I used aprox 68% WW, 29% Recovered Range, and 3% tin, and 5.5 gr Unique in 38 Spl cases.

First I had my wife shoot her Ruger Security Six 4" barrel into a 5 gal jug of water (old veg oil) 14" deep using the round hp it penetrated the first jug, but bounced off the second one . . .

In this one you can just barely see a trace of green loob! notice how the loob groove shrank!

Neither of use are good shots, but this is what we did in the wind . . .

Marlin 1894 w/ 18.5" barrel at 25 yards kneeling:

Ruger Blackhawk 6.5" barrel resting wrists on a bag:

Anybody else shoot any of these yet?

Boolit Master

I am getting ready to load some of these. I was thinking of using 6.4 gr. of Unique in a .357 case with an OAL of 1.59 using WW.
    ARMY Viet-Nam 70-71

Groo here
    I see a trend here.. Maybe we can get Miha and 45 2.1 to produce a series of these
    style bullets.. flat or hollow ,hollow weight at standard flat heaver, Keith lube grove ,
    2 crimp groves for short or long, an lever friendly ,,,,
    .32, .357 [we got that] 41 [ I would sell my current mold for that] .44 [what I suggested]
    .45 [ just don't forget the FA crowd] 475 [ in a lighter weight] AND in.510 [ to make the
    GNR short and long loads ,, also linebaugh and a "SPECIAL" version..
    At last I can make my own "silvertips "
    One mold each, Do most anything, What could be better??????????????/
    AND Miha To Boot!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by Groo; 08-30-2010 at 09:51 PM.

Boolit Master

I loaded mine in Win 38 spl cases loaded them long (furthest from the nose crimp grove) COL = 1.505" with 5.5gr Unique, I guess it was around 1000 fps . . . in my handguns . . . add 200+ for the rifle.

I only have 357 mag firearms . . .

I just loaded some more for my wife with 4.4gr of Unique and 4.0gr of TrailBoss . . .

Boolit Master

Could someone recommend a load using this boolit with either air cooled or water dropped WW for my Ruger .357 SP-101 3" using H-110? I've loaded this boolit with 6.2 gr. of Unique and it works great. I am looking for a round that will make you wonder why on earth you pulled the trigger. I rarely shoot real stout rounds but it is fun to have when you want to show off and show someone (my brother) what a .357 can sound and look like. I shoot out at his farm. (no animals around) nearest neighbor a half mile away.
    ARMY Viet-Nam 70-71

Boolit Master

just thought I'd ask.
    ARMY Viet-Nam 70-71

Boolit Master

The Hodgdon Reloading Data Center lists for a 357MAG with a 158gr HornadyXTP, 16.7gr as MAX, loaded to 1.580 as OAL. That makes almost 1600fps and 40,700 CUP. That should pretty much rock your world. Even though I would NOT start at the max, but you knew that anyway. 15gr is the starting load, but I would personally prolly start at 16.

Would it need a GC at that speed?
    Good, Cheap, Fast: Pick two.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Groo here
    I just put a few pounds through my mold yesterday..
    I can say this is the best so far!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I wanted the 5 sided pin but by the way the round one works I have changed my mind.
    Running about 900 on my Lyman master XX the bullets just drop off the pins with WW
    I think we should work with 45 2.1 and Miha to make a series of molds. [ The 640 style]
    32, 357 [got that ] 41, 44, and 45 maybe 475 and 510 with this nose and double
    crimp grove....
    In airplanes the saying goes " If it looks good it will fly good "
    Well this bulled sure looks good!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!11

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast