Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
RepackboxReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Load Data Wideners
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: GPS advice

Boolit Buddy

GPS advice

So i've drawn a deer permit and while i'm working up a load for the 300 savage i'm also getting serious about scouting. This is my first hunt as an adult I'm kind of on my own. So far what I know is scout deep and scout often, i'm going to try to head out two weekends every month from mid august until mid november when i'll be out hunting.

I really want a GPS to back up my map and compass (yay scouts) My wife wants one that should i fall and break a led i can transmit a SOS or 911 signal with but i'm not too interested in paying a subscription fee. I"m going to head over to REI to ask them since they seem to know everything however I wanted to ask here see if anyone had one of these, thought they were useful, had any reviews, or if i should just save my money for gas.

I think this goes in the Kit section not sure though.....

thanks,
    Μολὼν λάβε

Lord, make me fast and accurate. Let my aim be true and my hand faster than those who would seek to destroy me. Grant me victory over my foes and those that wish to harm to me and mine. Let not my last thought be “If only I had my gun”; and Lord if today is truly the day that You call me home, let me die in a pile of brass.

I am out of town, enjoy your holidays.

Boolit Buddy
    I use a Garmin E trex (the yellow model). I learned how to read and use a topo map. Printed them off at Sportsmans whse. Check out Map Tools.com, and pick up the guide book and a map tool for the scale of map you will have. I will go anywhere if I have my map, compas and GPS. You do not need the expensive models if you have a map. I basically use the GPS for my UTM coordinates and to plot way points. When scouting I plot points for various reasons and keep notes. When you get home use your tool to plot them on your map. I also keep a reduced size color copy of my map in my pocket for quick reference. When needed I take out my to scale map and find myself. I like the UTM system and map tools are verry affordable. Good luck, John

Cast Hunter

+1 on Garmin GPSs. Through work and play I have used several different models of Garmins and they are great.

For your wife's request you may want a satellite GPS messenger called "SPOT."
    http://www.findmespot.com/en/index.php?cid=102
    Among other things, it has the "Call 911" function to send a rescue to your location.

It also allows people to track your progress on line.
    Boone and Crockett Club member
    <<----------------<<<<<<
    Pope & Young Club member

Boolit Buddy
    "I really want a GPS to back up my map and compass "...That is the first and most important thought with a GPS. You never know when you are going to have dead batteries, broke GPS, etc. Any GPS should only be used as a tool with a good map and compass...personal experience with having dead batteries in the middle of nowhere (Northern Kuwait, about 2miles south of the Iraq border (1996)) and another situation where the GPS could not get me where I needed to without a map (Mosul, Iraq, navigating in the city (2003). Army taught me good map reading and navigation skills so it was not a problem.

My use of a GPS consists of confirming my location and marking rubs, sightings, tree stands, etc. Info is then downloaded to computer and marked on a hardcopy map. Prior to going into an area, I will look at photo and topo maps of the area and then down load promising or good looking spots to my GPS. Sometimes I will plan a route if I know I will be moving into an area prior to first light.

If you want to use the GPS for scouting, get one that you can download information to a computer (card or cable). This will allow you to better view the information and analyze it. I have found that many Garmin models are capable of this and there are many sites out there that offer free maps and tools. Two of the sites that I use are Mapwell and USAphotomaps.

Be aware that some maps have differnt mapping datum and locations may not match, you need to verify what datum is being used and ensure that your GPS is set accordingly. Map datum for most maps is WGS84 (World Grid System 1984) but you can still find many maps that are NAD27 (North American Datum 1927). Just enough information to confuse you....LOL. Not much to worry about, if set wrong, you can still get back to your truck, but you may not find a tree stand before first light. Difference can be around 50 yards or so.

Having a GPS that has maps on it is sort of irrelevant as you should always have a paper map with you.

As for being able to send a distress signal, I cant speak much for that. The area you hunt is much different from where I hunt. I can almost guarantee that I will always be able to use my cell phone to either call for help or get out a text message with where I hunt, not so much for yourself.

Be advised that terrain, weather, and vegetation can affect GPS reception. You may not always be able to "see" 3 satellites.

Boolit Buddy
    On an additional note, after looking at the SPOT website, I would not reccomend a combined system. Keep the distress device in your survival kit and in your pack. You are less likely to loose or break it. Plus, if you never use it unless there is an emergency, you wont have dead batteries (as long as they are replaced on a regular basis).

Boolit Buddy
    +1 44 Fanatic. I do the same without the down loading. The map tools guide book covers the map datum I believe? I always have a plan "D" if everything goes to hell. As in head north and you will hit a road eventually.

The Garmin E-trex series is inexpensive, pocket sized & works well for a while. When they get older, the displays get a bit decrepit. They get lines in them, or just go blank. The control button on the front gets arthritis too. It just stops working in one or two positions at first & then not at all. Rapping the side of the case usually gets them going again. I think that there are some internal connectors that get cruddy over time, & that's where both problems originate. You can still use them for years after they get intermittent on you. It's just a bit of a hassle. I've been using the e-trex for probably 6 or 8 years now. I've been through about 4 of them. They all had the same issues, but I can still get any of them to give me my position if I fool with it enough.

Some of the newer GPS units with built in driving directions do not work off road at all. The TomTom is like that. Once you are 100 yards off a street, it is lost. It even gets confused in big parking lots. If you enter a latitude & longitude that are a mile off of a road, it will set your destination point to the nearest place that is on a road. It will not even acknowledge that off road areas exist. They are also totally lost in any area that they do not have the software for. A US/Canada TomTom is lost in England, for instance. The Garmin E-trex will work anywhere in the world, even if it doesn't have maps for the area installed.

If you are hunting with a buddy & you separate in unfamiliar territory, three is a GPS gizmo called a Rino that has a tracking feature. You hit a button to send your location to your buddy's Rino & it points him straight to you. I can see where that can be convenient, but for actual search & rescue, I would just use a cell phone or a radio & call in my location. I don't feel the need to have all my gizmos in one box.

These days you can get GPS service in many cell phones. The problem there is that the cell phone company thieves charge you a monthly fee for access to the GPS service. A regular GPS has no monthly service fees. The basic version of the e-trex can be had for less than $100. After that, all you need is 2 AA batteries & you're off to the races. A set of 4 rechargeable AAs will keep you going for years.
    Last edited by JIMinPHX; 08-04-2010 at 03:47 PM. Reason: speeeling errror
    “an armed society is a polite society.”
    Robert A. Heinlein

"Idque apud imperitos humanitas vocabatur, cum pars servitutis esset."
    Publius Tacitus

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by JIMinPHX View Post
    After that, all you need is 2 AA batteries & you're off to the races. A set of 4 rechargeable AAs will keep you going for years.
    Thank goodness for the newer GPS. I have a Magellan that I took to Iraq in 2003, went thru 3 AA's in about 4 hours (didnt have rechargeables). Always carried lots and lots of batteries after the experience in 1996. Now I have a Garmin 76csx(?). Goes through 2 AAs in 8 hours, also picked up the rechargeables...just need to get them back from the kids (cameras and cd players)...LOL.

Boolit Buddy
    I'm gonna say Garmin as well. We have several of them. (GPS III, GPS 40, GPS 12, GPS72 and GPSMAP76CSX) The one I use the most is the 76CSX, but that is because of the amount of time I spend on the water. (It floats and is waterproof, as is the 72. The downside is its large size.) My suggestion is to determine your needs before you buy, then know what each model offers. I constantly hear bad reviews of the Garmin 76CSX because of its very basic street maps. My question is always the same "Who buys a GPS like that to use in a car?" These people just did not do their homework and went out and spent way more than they needed to spend and still did not get what they needed.

Pay attention to what maps are preloaded on the unit. The 76CSX comes with almost nothing, you have to buy what maps you want. This is important because the maps can get expensive very quickly. The fact that some come with little in the maps department does not bother me, it just means I'm not paying for a map that I don't really need...like a road map. A barometric altimeter, electronic compass and mapping are all features I would consider, but you be the judge of that as these features can start upping the price. No matter what model you get, I would stick with Garmin.

You are smart to have a map and compass with you, but I think you'll soon find that they will become the back-up for the GPS, not the other way around.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianB View Post
    "Who buys a GPS like that to use in a car?"
    76csx...

Dang it, I did, and not the car, the truck...LOL. For getting from LA to NY, get the NUVI. And no, I did not get mine for driving around althoug it is nice when you are looking for that one side road that you have never driven on at o'dark thirty.

Works great out hunting and fishing. I will agree on the size issue also. A bit big for just dropping in the pocket. But I do like the versatility of it and it comes with a couple of games installed for when you are bored in the treestand.

Boolit Buddy
    Good to know about the Garmins. I don't turn it on till I get to the woods. Going to have to pre trip it at the house. A friend of mine bought his with marlboro miles back when & has not had a problem.

Cast Boolits Owner

I have a couple that I have used a lot. I have not been hunting in some time but the first thing I would do when hunting is mark the location of my vehicle. When in the woods it is a serious comfort to know the way "home" no matter what the conditions.
    "The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion."
    - Albert Camus -

Banned

Ive got the delorne unit that allows for downloading arieal photos and sat imagery. Its a hell of a good unit but a bit complicated for a beginner. I also have an etrex and its probably a better unit for a basic hunting gps.

Boolit Buddy
    Garmin Legend is really good. You can download or buy a micro-SD card with the maps already loaded for whatever area you use. I want to get the 60CSX but just didn't want the anteana sticking out the top though the screen is larger and easier to use. I like the dimensions of the Legend, small/light enough that I carry it with me EVERYWHERE. I also just use it as a backup but here (Ontario) it's easy to get turned around (lost) in the thick bush and then the Legend comes in very handy. Only uses 2 AA batteries and they seem to last quite a long time but I still carry an extra 6 batteries as well, same ones used in my flashlight. I'm not easy on my equipment and have only had the Legend a bit over a year, so far no issues and I'm impressed with the maps on the SD card. A lot of southern Ontario and a fair bit used in Nothern Ontario, thick bush, fall down, rained on , freeeeezing cold, still works OK.

Quote Originally Posted by no_1 View Post
    the first thing I would do when hunting is mark the location of my vehicle.
    +1 on that, especially when I'm in a new area.
    “an armed society is a polite society.”
    Robert A. Heinlein

"Idque apud imperitos humanitas vocabatur, cum pars servitutis esset."
    Publius Tacitus

Boolit Buddy
    Take a look at the Delorme PN-40, it is an impressive machine.
    JW

Boolit Master
    For basic position finding i found the etrex legend to be more than sufficent. I carry USGS quads and compass for navigating and route planning. I got a 60CSx for use on my KLR because i can use the battery to run an amplified antenna for better reception. Occasionally I will use the computer to program a route, but mostly I just use it for finding where I am currently at.
    Some where between here and there.....

Banned

thats the one i have. Its a great unit but for an idiot like me its pretty complicated. For you young computer savoy guys it is a hell of a toy.
    Quote Originally Posted by jwhite View Post
    Take a look at the Delorme PN-40, it is an impressive machine.
    JW

stephen perry

Gps

I use a Trimble at work. Have used a Magellan also, for Civil Engineering work Magellan's at least the tourist models suck. For hunting I use quad maps, compass, and surveyor flagging. Know your way in and follow your markings out. GPS is job specific and like any tool is only as good as it's operator.

357 get your Boy Scout book out learn how to use a compass again and take necessary survival tools. Leave the GPS for the technocrats. Be your own Man, that's what being a Sportsman is all about.

Stephen Perry
    Angeles BR
    Last edited by stephen perry; 08-09-2010 at 07:59 AM.

Boolit Master

my map and compass havent ran out of batteries yet!!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast