Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingRepackboxInline Fabrication
Lee Precision Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ruger Mark III Hunter

Thank you for the reply Sir! The gun is very new....less than 100 rounds down the tube. Although that doesn't mean there isn't some gunk or residual oil in there causing my problem.

I'll give it a good cleaning and see what happens.

Thanks!

Boolit Grand Master
    Once it is clean, shoot 2 other brands and see if it is that particular lot of CCI mini mag HP ammo that is creating your problem.

Wouldn't be the 1st time something like that has happened with .22 ammo.

Ben

SIGH... if only I could have one.... too hell with british gun laws....
    May we achieve our aims....

Boolit Master

Fellow at the range let me shoot his Hunter. A few weeks later I bought a 22/45 from a pawn shop courtesy of the county Sheriff, it was a drug raid seizure! It's One of my favorite guns. Just last week I put three in an inch offhand at 25 yards with iron sights (monkeys and typewriters!) That's about as good as I can do even off a bag, but I don't doubt the previous claims using glass at all. I assume I have a stock trigger and it feels good to me. The Hunter I shot was reworked to a 1lb or so and was too light for my tastes as I carry mine into the field from time to time. I've popped many squirrels, usually in the 15 yard range, might miss 1/10.

Sorry for resurrecting an older thread but wanted to update my extraction issue for those interested.

Gave the chamber/barrel a good cleaning although it wasn't very dirty. The CCI mini mag HP's still won't extract from the chamber (live round).

I tried CCI blazers, CCI stingers, Federal bulk HP's, Wolf Match and Winchester bulk lead rounds and all extracted just fine.

Boolit Grand Master
    Not my 1st time to see certain .22 LR , rifles and pistols that won't tolerate a certain brand of ammo.

Have you compared the dimensions of the working rounds vs. the CCI ammo that doesn't work ?

Could be a bullet dia. issue ? The bullet dia. of the CCI ammo may be slightly larger than the other ammo that is chambering and etracting OK.

Boolit Master
    I have been trying to find a Ruger Mark III (not 22/45) with a good trigger for a while. Can't seem to. I have a Mark II target that is about 13 years old that has a fantastic trigger, but the Mark III's I have tried have tirggers that are heavy, rough and have some creep to them.

I have seen several Mark II competition models (used) that I like but am wary of buying a used .22 because I figure they have been shot a lot and I am not knowlegeble enough to buy a used gun with confidence.

exile
    "There is not a single instance in history in which civil liberty was lost, and religious liberty preserved entire. If therefore we yield up our temporal property, we at the same time deliver the conscience into bondage." --John Witherspoon, The Dominion of Providence Over the Passions of Men. 1776

"The words of the Lord are pure words, like silver refined in a furnace on the ground, purified seven times." Psalm 12:6 (E.S.V.)

Late to this page, I bought a Mark III from a friend. He couldn’t adjust the sights at all and when I shot it it wanted to shoot 4 inches right. Ugh, so I had a cheap Simmons red dot I picked up at Wally World on sale for $8. Put the rail on and the dot and I’m a happy camper.

Moderator Emeritus

I've had one for quite few years....it is a tack driver and would not part with it....the only issue is the disassembly....but the RUGER SITE has a great video on the subject plus the customer service is of great help. I down loaded two U-Tube's on disassembly but they left a few things out so the actural RUGER SITE videos are top drawer ..... If I can answer any questions please feel free to pm me and I will send you my telephone number.....Paul
    When guns are outlawed only criminals and the government will have them and at that time I will see very little difference in either!

"Within the covers of the Bible are the answers for all the problems man faces." President Ronald Reagan

"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the law breaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is acoutable for his actions." Presdent Ronald Reagan

Boolit Buddy
    Don't worry about buying a used Ruger 22 semi auto pistol. The Mk2's are widely considered to be the best of the type and are at least 20 years old. Good triggers are usually Volquartsen aftermarket installations. $125 or so extra and worth every penny. A bent .243 cleaning brush and Kroil or Ed's Red are a good combination for chamber cleaning. Installing or reworking the trigger will make it clear that you don't want to take these apart to clean them. Scrubbing the chamber and a q tip and solvent and a dentist's pick for the breech area will do the trick.

Boolit Master
    Another MKIII Hunter lover here...when I first saw them announced I thought it was the best looking Standard Model of all time...and I love the heavily fluted bull barrel...really makes it balance nice.

Bought my first one, the original 6 7/8" shortly after they came out...it was "used" but didn't look like it had ever been fired. Mounted a Leupold MX 2X scope on it and it shoots great. Did have a local smith do a trigger job on it...

A few years later found one of the 5.5" limited edition models. It had a GREAT trigger. Ended up getting a TacSol PacLite upper to shoot it with a suppressor....

And finally at the same shop the second one came from there was a LNIB 4.5"...this was shortly after the introduction of the MKIV and they just about gave it to me.... It has the best balance of all and again a GREAT trigger...

Only major modification to all of them was to replace the rear V sight blade with a square notch white outline...

Bob

Boolit Master
    My wife and I each have one. Her's is the target model and mine is the hunter model. I've removed the loaded chamber indicator and magazine disconnect from them and installed a slot filler on both. I had a mark II i carried for years, but absolutely love these MK III pistols, they are just so smooth. I've put thousands on thousands of rounds of mini mags through mine and can't recall a malfunction, and it's more accurate than I am.

Boolit Master

I totally agree; the Mark III is fabulous! Mine is a SS version and has great balance and hasn't had a malfunction, not a single one. One thing I did though is to replace the plastic LCI with a SS piece.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sparky45 View Post
    I totally agree; the Mark III is fabulous! Mine is a SS version and has great balance and hasn't had a malfunction, not a single one. One thing I did though is to replace the plastic LCI with a SS piece.
    Please tell me is a slot filler, not a SS LCI. The very first ones did have a metal LCI that could actually discharge the round if struck with enough force, so Ruger changed to plastic.

Boolit Master

No, it is a "slot filler", doesn't move like the plastic thing.

Boolit Master
    Remove the magazine disconnect, and your magazines will fall free when you hit the mag release, instead of having to be pulled free.

They are just great guns!

Boolit Master

Already did that, and you're right, they are great guns!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12