Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyRepackboxLoad Data
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2WidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: star lube sizer

Boolit Bub
    One more question , sort of on the same lines.

iv ordered my star with .453 sizer die, because my my sti spartan barrel slugged at .452 what happens if my measurement is off slightly and my barrel is really .451 negative effects? boom?

my mold drops .453-.4535 measured with a mic.

Cast Boolits Owner

What accessories are you looking for?

Robert

Quote Originally Posted by hedgehog View Post
    so im guessing by the responses that only magma makes accessories for the sizer? Besides Lathesmiths dies and handle of course
    "The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion."
    - Albert Camus -

Cast Boolits Owner

If it will chamber your barrel will make it the right size.

Robert

One more question , sort of on the same lines.

iv ordered my star with .453 sizer die, because my my sti spartan barrel slugged at .452 what happens if my measurement is off slightly and my barrel is really .451 negative effects? boom?

my mold drops .453-.4535 measured with a mic.
    "The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion."
    - Albert Camus -

Boolit Bub
    bullet feeder and air cylinder would be nice upgrades. maybe a heater but i dont think ill need it for the lube i run.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by no_1 View Post
    If it will chamber your barrel will make it the right size.

Robert
    ill test that right now

Boolit Bub
    chamber fine, and i haven't sized them yet. .4535 dropped size. loaded case size at neck is .448"

they don't fit my dillion case/ammo checker , but i feel no resistance with these dummy loads in my Spartans chamber.

Cast Boolits Owner

Load a couple magazines worth of test rounds to make sure it functions correctly and if it does have at it!

R.
    - Albert Camus -

Cast Boolits Owner

The Dillon case gauge is designed to ensure ammo is per "spec" so it will load in any gun who's barrel is within industry standard dimensions including those that have tight chambers.

Are you using Dillon dies? If so, you may not want to use the factory crimp die because it will swage your case down to the point it will fit the Dillon case gauge which means it will also swage your loaded slug down too.

Robert
    - Albert Camus -

Boolit Bub
    no, im using lee carbide dies. when my star comes in ill load 50 or so and give them a test. i should order a .452 sizing die as i would like to make boolits for my friends too.

Boolit Master

Again, FWIW, my recommendation is to load the fattest boolit that will reliably chamber, and let the bbl size it down perfectly. If .453 chambers, and shoots well, have at it...
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U
    One of the most endearing sights in the world is the vision of a naked good-looking woman leaving the bedroom to make breakfast. Bolivar Shagnasty (I believe that Lazarus Long also said it, but I can't find any record of it.)

Boolit Buddy
    bullet feeder and air cylinder would be nice upgrades. maybe a heater but i dont think ill need it for the lube i run.
    There is a bullet feeder with heated base on *bay right now. only 22 hrs to go. Not sure what they go for new but it is at about 201.00

Boolit Bub
    im Canadian and the seller wishes to sell to Americans only.

Rcbs lam ii on air???

Quote Originally Posted by no_1 View Post
    Traded 2 octagon TC barrels for mine and the guy threw in a Bullberry 45 Colt barrel to make me happy. Consider it a great deal everytime I use it. Buy the air cylinder from magma. If you think a star makes sizing faster then get the air cylinder to pressurize the lube. I thought I could not live without a star until I bought the air cylinder then discovered I could NEVER live without a star that has a air cylinder.

R.
    Hi No.1, do you know if i could rig up air to my RCBS LAM II ??
    Can't see why not??
    BB03
    THE ONLY WAY YOU CAN HIT THE CENTRE OF THE TARGET IS WITH A CENTREFIRE!!!

Boolit Buddy
    Are there any check valves or other valving to stop the lube from free flowing when the bullet is changed out? Or is that the job of the bullet that is to be pushed through the die by the next one on the Star? The plunger only stops the flow when it is forward, like a grease gun. Nothing but the bullet in the die keeping the air pressure from feeding the whole tank full through the dies, is there?

I'm not seeing an easy way by the need for an interrupter of some sort to prevent the lube from going everywhere while you are looking for that next bullet to feed in the sizer.
    Now, you could set up an air valve to put the pressure on and off the lube each time you seat one home, but it'd get old fast, listening to the air compressor kicking on and off, keeping such a system running.

Cheers
    Trev

Rcbs lam ii air???

Quote Originally Posted by trevj View Post
    Are there any check valves or other valving to stop the lube from free flowing when the bullet is changed out? Or is that the job of the bullet that is to be pushed through the die by the next one on the Star? The plunger only stops the flow when it is forward, like a grease gun. Nothing but the bullet in the die keeping the air pressure from feeding the whole tank full through the dies, is there?

I'm not seeing an easy way by the need for an interrupter of some sort to prevent the lube from going everywhere while you are looking for that next bullet to feed in the sizer.
    Now, you could set up an air valve to put the pressure on and off the lube each time you seat one home, but it'd get old fast, listening to the air compressor kicking on and off, keeping such a system running.

Cheers
    Trev
    Thanks Trev.
    Not sure about the valve bit, gunna have a good look at a mates star which has air and heater on it. I know it runs at 60 PSI thats about it.
    BB03
    THE ONLY WAY YOU CAN HIT THE CENTRE OF THE TARGET IS WITH A CENTREFIRE!!!

Black Powder 100%

Livingston, La. 20 miles east of Baton Rouge, La.
    Trevj, You don't need nor use a air compressor for a Star that has the air cylinder. The Star only uses the pressure to keep the lube flowing and if all your fittings have tape as they should then no loss of air. I have had 3 Stars and run all of them off of air tanks that are sold at Walley World. The one Star has run for over 4 months without me adding air to the tank. You need a compressor to fill the tank and that is it. I happen to use air tools and have a shop size compressor that is outside. You could just go to the local station and fill your air tank. Mine holds 125 lbs of air and as I stated has been used for 4 months without loss of air. I run my Star with my lube at 90 lbs. Each lube will be different. Later David
    Shooter of the "HOLY BLACK" SASS 81802 AKA FAIRSHAKE; NRA ; BOLD; WARTHOG;Deadwood Marshal;Bayou Bounty Hunter; So That his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat; 44 WCF filled to the top, 210 gr. bullet

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by trevj View Post
    Or is that the job of the bullet that is to be pushed through the die by the next one on the Star? The plunger only stops the flow when it is forward, like a grease gun. Nothing but the bullet in the die keeping the air pressure from feeding the whole tank full through the dies, is there?

Cheers
    Trev
    Yep, that's the job of the boolit that's still in the die. Once the spring or air pressure is released you can change dies without lube giong everywhere.

David

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks David, that's pretty much what I thought. It makes it a bit of a non-starter to mod an RCBS sizer to duplicate the Star, as they operate on a fair bit different principle, what with the need to remove th ebullet on the RCBS.

Cajun Shooter, I was commenting on the possibility of using air on an RCBS to duplicate the Star air setup. I think it is a bit tough to pull off. There would, I yhink, be a need to cycle the pressure on and off, or to add some way to stop the lube flowing when the bullet is removed from the RCBS sizer. That's where I was thinking that the air would have to be bled off, then re-applied. Lots of wasted air.

Course, one might always re-rig a RCBS sizer to push through operation. Gonna be a minor PITA, but it could be done...

A bud has a Star that he really likes. I have a couple Lyman 45's and am not too worried about volume throughput yet, so they will do.

Cheers
    Trev

Banned
    Received my Magma after a week. Ordered my punch and dies from lathesmith.
    I have never run a Star before. Is it supposed to spit out a sized and lubed bullet with each cycle or does the next bullet push out the first bullet that was inserted?

Quote Originally Posted by 6bg6ga View Post
    Received my Magma after a week. Ordered my punch and dies from lathesmith.
    I have never run a Star before. Is it supposed to spit out a sized and lubed bullet with each cycle or does the next bullet push out the first bullet that was inserted?
    I'm real new to mine as well, and mine keeps the last boolit in the die.

I have another strange thing going though.
    I put the magma supplied Javelina stick in mine when I got it and has since recieved my shipment from Lars, so I figured there wouldn't be much left in the tube and added a stick of BAC.
    The Javelina seems to last forever however. I'm at more than 2000 boolits now and no sign of any BAC.
    Except that is, the worm of lube coming out of the vent hole in the tube.
    Did I overfill?
    Is it supposed to come out of the vent hole?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast